PDA

View Full Version : watch out windex!!!!!

peewee1
04-29-2013, 10:01 AM
For years I have cleaned my car(american) dashboards with WINDEX window cleaner.And never had any problems. It did a good job and cleaned things up. WELL just this week I sprayed my dash in my Yaris sedan with WINDEX----Whow it took off the nice shinny finish and turned large parts of the dashboard into dull,old worn-out looking plastic!!!! It really screwed up the looks of my dash. So I ran up to my auto store and bought some ArmorAll original spray, and after 6 or 7 apps. the sheen came back and the dull washed out areas were brought back to a shinny state. WINDEX NO_MORE ON DASH!!!!!

BEEF
04-29-2013, 10:15 AM
I've never heard of using windex on the dash...

Armorall is the stuff.

MadMax
04-29-2013, 10:37 AM
Windex contains ammonia, which causes cloudiness in plastics as you are now finding.

Oddly enough, I've always found Lemon Pledge furniture polish to work best on plastic. I've not used it in my Yaris, but on motorcycles it does an excellent job!

Cheers! M2

ilikerice
04-29-2013, 11:21 AM
Man the OP made this sound like spam... Thought it was until OP mentioned a yaris...

YarisSedan
04-29-2013, 12:08 PM
turtle wax ice makes a good interior protectant that puts a uv coating to keep the dash from fading but dosnt give too much of a shiny look. That way you have less glare from the sun reflecting off your dash to the windshield but keeps your dash looking good.

Steve35
04-29-2013, 12:58 PM
I love this stuff. I used to use Armoral

http://www.surfcitygarage.com/shop/black-max-vinyl-rubber-trim-dressing

Steve

peewee1
04-29-2013, 03:09 PM
Cool-I'm going to try it, thanks for the info

mr_miles
04-29-2013, 05:57 PM
I use this, inside and outside! http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-870-adams-detail-spray-new-formula.aspx

RedRide
05-01-2013, 12:13 PM
Personally, I have never used anything on my dash (in any modern car) as it supposed to be dull to avoid reflections. The dash's surface in designed to diffuse light, not to reflect it .

If needed, I just use a bit of plain water with a MF cloth.
Why anyone would want their dash to shine is beyond me. :smile:

WeeYari
05-01-2013, 12:18 PM
Another endorsement for TW Ice. Smell is not unpleasant, and there is absolutely no slickness or shine to treated surfaces. Does what it is supposed to do; bring back the factory finish.

marcus
05-01-2013, 02:30 PM
armor all GEL tire shine ... last forever almost 3 years and still shining...and thats no joke.. its got silicone on the ingredients which is not suppose to be good for plastic which causes crack but not a single crack on this yaris..

RedRide
05-01-2013, 05:10 PM
armor all GEL tire shine ... last forever almost 3 years and still shining...and thats no joke.. its got silicone on the ingredients which is not suppose to be good for plastic which causes crack but not a single crack on this yaris..

Neither has my '09 which has never been garage kept. In fact, most newer cars do no have any cracks. This is due to the plastics now having UV protection built in. Not becaues of any garbage someone may have applied to it
UV rays are the cause of the cracks of plastic dash boards in the past .

One should not believe all the BS ad copy they read . :smile:

alanwagen
05-01-2013, 09:00 PM
Windex will also damage your window tint. Not good for plastics.

nookandcrannycar
05-02-2013, 12:13 AM
I use Meguiar's Supreme Shine.

RedRide
05-02-2013, 12:12 PM
I have to repeat, why would anyone want their dash to shine?
It is a well known safety hazard for a dash to reflect onto the windshield and this is exactly why they they are made to not reflect light .

Making the dash shine is akin to making the windshield less transparent by applying a product to it .

MyzticZ3r0
05-02-2013, 01:37 PM
^ As Redride said, water on a cloth does a great job on removing particulates. The glare that comes from dash does bother me, so I opted to get a dashmat to remove those reflections. It is great looking and worth it imho (and it keeps the dash from being damaged ;)).

B2FiNiTY
05-02-2013, 03:23 PM
I don't like the shine so I always just wipe it down with a nice damp terry towel. Always comes out like brand new.

nookandcrannycar
05-02-2013, 11:45 PM
I have to repeat, why would anyone want their dash to shine?
It is a well known safety hazard for a dash to reflect onto the windshield and this is exactly why they they are made to not reflect light .

Making the dash shine is akin to making the windshield less transparent by applying a product to it .

I had the same horrible thought when another member mentioned it at the beginning of a post. Then I read the whole post, and the member stated that it wouldn't really shine and wouldn't create a reflection re the sun or otherwise...that the dash would just look better and newer. I figured I could buy it and at least perform a test in one little place. If I did get a shine, I just wouldn't apply it anywhere else. The member who posted about using it was correct. After application, the dash looks supple, new, not dry (moisturized),... but it doesn't shine and doesn't create a reflection.