PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust manifold heat shield Problems. Help!!

MaXx0909
05-01-2013, 11:00 PM
Alright, so i have 138k kms on my yaris, everything is fine, except that squeaky shifter and those rattles.A while ago, my heat shield starting tapping on the exhaust manifold (no big deal just annoying) but now , i am pretty sure i got an exhaust leak on my manifold somewheres as every time I step on the gas in second and + gear, it makes this noise like if there's air coming out. My concern is , could it be that these two what seems to be bolts, are done and are letting air come out ?
Thanks for the help y'alll
(yes i am aware its rusty and dirty, but i live in canada so salt dosnt help and i get it sprayed with oil before winter so it dosnt rusts and become more orange than the car itself)

CTScott
05-01-2013, 11:26 PM
It is more likely the gasket between the manifold and the mid pipe. It is made out of a very soft metal and will disintegrate over time from the flex and vibration.

MaXx0909
05-05-2013, 01:22 PM
I'm thinking about changing it myself, i've put a clothes in my muffler to check if i could hear any exhaust leaks and i could'nt , but when i'm in third or higher gear i can hear air coming out , so i'm assuming it is my gasket,
just gonna ask to make sure, do you guys think it is, i dont know wanna go throught all that trouble just to find out is isnt that

WeeYari
05-05-2013, 03:14 PM
It is no doubt the gasket.

This is what mine looked like at 143K. http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=613496

Lift up a corner of the car and crawl under. Grab the down-pipe and wiggle it. With the gasket shot, it should feel quite sloppy when wiggled.

Viperoni
05-05-2013, 06:52 PM
It is no doubt the gasket.

This is what mine looked like at 143K. http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=613496

Lift up a corner of the car and crawl under. Grab the down-pipe and wiggle it. With the gasket shot, it should feel quite sloppy when wiggled.

QFT

The bolts usually come out decently easily, not particularily long or hard to replace the gasket on a driveway.

kuessemir
07-29-2013, 10:30 PM
Hello! Thank you for posting the pics! I possess only basic automotive knowledge; however, after performing a cursory visual inspection of the exhaust manifold and connnection to the down pipe, I believe I have the same problem with my Liftback. While cruising at a constant speed no exhaust noise is apparent; however, pressing the throttle to make traffic velocities does emit the sound of a leaking exhaust. I believe this is so because my '97 Corolla had a deteriorated exhaust manifold/down pipe connection and a similar (though more severe) sound was produced. If I were to attempt to remedy this in my garage, what might I expect in terms of repair difficulty, and time requirements. I feel that the exhaust manifold is in need of replacement; it looks poorly. I can post some pictures tomorrow when I have a moment to snap some. Any DIY advice is appreciated :-) !