PDA

View Full Version : AC only works intermittently?

superlaura328
05-06-2013, 02:13 PM
Hope I'm not duplicating a previously asked question, but I couldn't find one!

I have a 2009 Yaris. The AC only works intermittently. Over the past year or so, it would usually work, but once in a blue moon, it would only blow verrrrry softly... you could feel cold air if you place your hand over the vent, but it wasn't enough air to reach you in the seat. Now, it is not working far more often than it is working (of course, just in time for summer). This happens no matter what speed I have it set to.

Any ideas that might cause this? I am also experiencing the apparently common issue for Yarises when your AC drain tube clogs up and starts leaking into the passenger foot well, although I have been able to resolve that issue by clearing the tube periodically. Are these two things related?

Ugh. I am trying to avoid a visit to the auto shop because I really can't afford it right now, lol. Any ideas you folks have will be appreciated! :)

CTScott
05-06-2013, 02:26 PM
Hope I'm not duplicating a previously asked question, but I couldn't find one!

I have a 2009 Yaris. The AC only works intermittently. Over the past year or so, it would usually work, but once in a blue moon, it would only blow verrrrry softly... you could feel cold air if you place your hand over the vent, but it wasn't enough air to reach you in the seat. Now, it is not working far more often than it is working (of course, just in time for summer). This happens no matter what speed I have it set to.

Any ideas that might cause this? I am also experiencing the apparently common issue for Yarises when your AC drain tube clogs up and starts leaking into the passenger foot well, although I have been able to resolve that issue by clearing the tube periodically. Are these two things related?

Ugh. I am trying to avoid a visit to the auto shop because I really can't afford it right now, lol. Any ideas you folks have will be appreciated! :)

Sloshing water and intermittent working are not related. The typical cause of intermittent operations is under or over charging of the Freon, or a bad pressure sensor. Having the system checked with a gauge set will quickly determine which it is.

superlaura328
05-06-2013, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the info! I guess I'm stuck taking it in, lol.

CTScott
05-06-2013, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the info! I guess I'm stuck taking it in, lol.

For about $30 you could pick up one of the cans of Freon with the gauge. It is not quite as accurate a way of testing and refilling, but it is a quick and easy DIY method. Before I purchased a complete automotive air conditioning kit I used those kits to recharge my older cars that had partially lost their charge.

superlaura328
05-06-2013, 02:38 PM
Oh, nice! I think I'll give that a go! Thanks again!

screenprintr
05-06-2013, 09:57 PM
Any recommendation as to what brand? Sorry for being a total noob. Don't work on cars as much as I use to when I was younger.

CTScott
05-06-2013, 10:03 PM
Any recommendation as to what brand? Sorry for being a total noob. Don't work on cars as much as I use to when I was younger.

Whatever your local autoparts store carries. For example, AutoZone stocks Quest products:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Quest-R-134a-refrigerant-with-Sub-Zero-synthetic-A-C-booster-and-charging-hose/_/N-261q?itemIdentifier=532242&_requestid=1225541