PDA

View Full Version : Oil Check Question

Starrbri
05-09-2013, 10:36 AM
I am parked in my work garage (on an incline). I walked out to my car and noticed some oil on the ground underneath the car. It does not appear to be from my car, but it is near the drain plug. I think it is just a coincidence. But the auto hypochondriac in me wants to just confirm.

Question, is there a way to check the oil while the car is parked on an incline? The front of the car is higher than the rear. Will this give me a lower or higher reading? The car has been parked for 3 hours. How does checking a cold engine compare with warm?

Thanks!

DMZ
05-09-2013, 11:30 AM
The reading will be high (front end low) or low (front end high), if the car is on an incline. Pull the car onto a level surface and check it hot. It should give you a good read on where the level is at.

If you think there is a seep at the plug. Wipe it off good and look at it an hour later. It should still be dry and oil free. If not, replace the crush washer.

jcboy
05-09-2013, 05:21 PM
do a reading on an incline and it will be inaccurate, same with a warm engine.

all readings should be on a level surface and at least 3 hours parked (overnight = better) to make sure all the oil has settled on the pan. otherwise, if you do it hot you might overfill the engine since the reading will be less (since some of the oils are in circulation inside the engine) and the tendency is to fill it up with more oil.

Hershey
05-09-2013, 11:06 PM
Check it in the morning or sometime the following day .

Lippitt
05-10-2013, 06:03 AM
I wouldn't even bother trying on an incline, you won't benefit from it, just wait till you get it on a flat then try as said above.

bronsin
05-10-2013, 06:21 AM
1) Park your car on a level surface for at least five minutes after shutting off the engine.

2) Check the oil level and if not full, add oil to make it full.

3) Park in your spot on the incline and check the oil. Where ever the oil level is make a mark on the dipstick in the metal of it some how. Not with a pencil youll have to score the metal.

Thats your new full mark! :thumbsup:

OR:

Check your oil at work or after grocery shopping in a level site.

Starrbri
05-10-2013, 08:09 AM
Thanks guys. It turns out that pool of oil didn't belong to me. I pulled out of the garage and parked on a flat surface, oil full. Also I didn't see any oil underneath the car this morning. Some poor sap is driving around with a large oil leak... Or was

Starrbri
05-10-2013, 11:37 PM
I may have spoke too soon. I just changed my oil and discovered no crush gasket... I searched everywhere. Pan, ground, pan, sifted through the oil. Nothing. Unfortunately I did not have a spare gasket. Off to the auto parts store in the morning

bronsin
05-11-2013, 09:14 AM
Hmm not many people here would admit that. I once was on the turnpike and noticed a shower of sparks coming from underneath a truck that was passing me. I thought "Look at that idiot. He doesnt even know sparks are coming out of his truck!"

He passed me and the sparks were still there.

They were from MY car.

:smile:

nookandcrannycar
05-11-2013, 07:14 PM
Hmm not many people here would admit that. I once was on the turnpike and noticed a shower of sparks coming from underneath a truck that was passing me. I thought "Look at that idiot. He doesnt even know sparks are coming out of his truck!"

He passed me and the sparks were still there.

They were from MY car.

:smile:

Years ago I was driving from Squaw Valley, CA to Carnelian Bay, CA with some friends after a day of skiing. We had almost reached Carnelian Bay when I realized that I had left my Day Planner (with my DL, bankcard, money, etc. in it) on top of the car. I pulled over at the next safe point and the ski rack had kept the Day Planner on top of the car (!) during the somewhat twisty journey.

Betrivent
05-11-2013, 07:22 PM
My friends and I were driving once, sand same thing except we left a wallet ON THE BACK BUMPER of the car. We found it at the destination when we go out, and it was by accident we saw it there too.

nookandcrannycar
05-11-2013, 07:32 PM
My friends and I were driving once, sand same thing except we left a wallet ON THE BACK BUMPER of the car. We found it at the destination when we go out, and it was by accident we saw it there too.

Wow, that is more amazing than what happened in my situation....nothing to help hold it in place.

Amdkt7
05-16-2013, 05:25 PM
I Never put things on top of the car! I always forget! That being said, I put my hiking GPS on top of the car recently while I was getting ready to go hiking. Discovered the GPS was missing, and was not where I swore it was in the car that morning. Hunted for five minutes, finally gave up, then I spotted it, on top of the car...

As far as your oil plug washer, I am confused. You were full of oil, yet missing the washer? I'm guessing that you discovered that you forgot the washer, but that it was not actually leaking.

nookandcrannycar
05-16-2013, 06:49 PM
I Never put things on top of the car! I always forget! That being said, I put my hiking GPS on top of the car recently while I was getting ready to go hiking. Discovered the GPS was missing, and was not where I swore it was in the car that morning. Hunted for five minutes, finally gave up, then I spotted it, on top of the car...

As far as your oil plug washer, I am confused. You were full of oil, yet missing the washer? I'm guessing that you discovered that you forgot the washer, but that it was not actually leaking.

In 2010 I saw a movie in Austin and was going to drive back to Montgomery County afterwards. After the movie I realized It was a relative's birthday and that I needed to send an e-card before her birthday ended in California (which would happen before being able to get back to Montgomery County). I searched around for and found a Starbucks. It was closed, but I tried to connect to their Wi-Fi signal from my car (usually not a problem), but to no avail. I decided to look for another signal, but then couldn't find my car key. I turned my car upside down and finally found the key in the chest pocket of the shirt I had on (:redface:). I found a McDonalds and sent an e-card from my car. I found my way back to I-35 and after about 7 miles or so I reached for my phone. No luck. I realized I left it on top of my car when I was turning my car 'upside down'. I drove back to the Starbucks and searched the parking lot with a fine toothed comb. Didn't find it. I lost all the information that was in the phone (it wasn't a smart phone).

Amdkt7
05-16-2013, 06:56 PM
My worst experience looking for a lost object was when I was working on a car late at night. I could not find the wrench that I had just used. I walked around with a flashlight for 15 minutes getting madder and madder. Finally I gave up for the night, and began putting everything down that I was holding.... I was holding the damn wrench the whole time! I was in my twenties then.
I have learned also to never put my keys down inside the car. Never. Put them in my pocket so they leave the car with me! I have set them down inside the trunk and promptly locked it.

nookandcrannycar
05-16-2013, 09:27 PM
I was holding the damn wrench the whole time!

LOL. I've done that a couple of times -- start to look for something and then realize I'm holding it in my hand.

I have learned also to never put my keys down inside the car.

I have gotten much better re this :smile:.

Hershey
05-16-2013, 11:00 PM
Good thing for some that the TOOL isn't detachable . Would hurt like :evil: to slam the hood down it after checking the oil level :eek: . Can thank Sam Kinison for that funny memory :smile: .