PDA

View Full Version : wheel corosion

Vervepipes
03-22-2007, 07:38 PM
I have some aluminum rims that I took off an old car I had and stored in my basement, and then when I moved into my shed, now the polished areas have white corroded areas. What is the best way to removethe corosion and treat the affected areas? These are 15" Konig Holes BTW and will be on my Yaris once the snow is gone with no chance of more coming since they dont plow here. Here is a pic of the rims on my old car http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/355000-355999/355252_19_full.jpg

Moose
03-22-2007, 08:59 PM
A good metal polish should do the trick.

elsteverino889
03-22-2007, 09:44 PM
My friends dad bought my friend 20's for his truck and never washes his car and now he has rust on his chrome 20's.

bugnuts
03-22-2007, 10:02 PM
Get some mothers aluminum polish and rub the hell out of it, The oxidization will come back if you do not continue to do this though, the only other thing you can do is have them polished and clear coated (but that would cost a bit).

Vervepipes
03-22-2007, 10:20 PM
Would a sandblaster (one using a plastic media) harm the metal or should I avoid that? I need slightly larger tires anyways (195/50R15 on them) so if they get damaged it's not the end of the world... I'm more concerned with the media damaging the metal, I have little experience with sand blasters so I dont know what aluminum can take.

NM, I looked at it and the corrosion is under a clearcoat finnish. I will wait until the winter is back again to pull the rims off, sandblast them entirely and I know of somebody here that powdercoats.