PDA

View Full Version : click after cv joint replaced?

bechdan
05-11-2013, 03:12 PM
Ok bit of a strange one I think - 2003 1.0 yaris, outer cv needed changing, took it to a garage who tried 3 different brands of joint but none would fit, bit of a faff but eventually they said theyd have to replace the right side dive shaft which I agreed to as we needed the car back on the road. Anyway since then there has been a click noise every time the car changed speed significantly. I have recently replaced the engine mounts, wishbone, wheel bearing, brake etc on that side.

The click is loud and definately from the right side, it occurs when changing speed especially changing down a gear or changing from reverse to foreward.

I know most people would say - take it back to the garage, but I dont know if I trust them to do anything else.

Im confused as to how a new drive shaft could have a clicking cv joint if it is indeed the case. What do you think?

Thanks for any ideas.

nookandcrannycar
05-11-2013, 07:27 PM
Ok bit of a strange one I think - 2003 1.0 yaris, outer cv needed changing, took it to a garage who tried 3 different brands of joint but none would fit, bit of a faff but eventually they said theyd have to replace the right side dive shaft which I agreed to as we needed the car back on the road. Anyway since then there has been a click noise every time the car changed speed significantly. I have recently replaced the engine mounts, wishbone, wheel bearing, brake etc on that side.

The click is loud and definately from the right side, it occurs when changing speed especially changing down a gear or changing from reverse to foreward.

I know most people would say - take it back to the garage, but I dont know if I trust them to do anything else.

Im confused as to how a new drive shaft could have a clicking cv joint if it is indeed the case. What do you think?

Thanks for any ideas.

I haven't had any problems with either the CV joints or boots on my Yaris (knock on wood). However, I had a GTI that I bought new and put over 194,000 miles on. One of the worst problems I had with that car was with the CV joints + boots (multiple replacements). Each time I heard the clicking sound you describe, it was the CV joints...and the sound disappeared after the (correctly completed I assume) repair.

bechdan
05-16-2013, 02:50 PM
I took it back to the garage, they said that if they found a fault they would replace it free of charge as the part was still under warranty.
They inspected the drive shaft and all other nearby components but could not locate anything out of place. They took it for a drive and did hear the same noise that I noted but they could not tell from the noise alone where it was coming from. Now I know its nothing serious and the car is still safe for my wife to drive, BUT it shouldnt be there and thats what bugs me.
Any other suggestions as to what the noise could be
off the top of my head could it be
suspension?
wishbone (replaced but ? faulty)
something else?

Amdkt7
05-16-2013, 02:58 PM
Is it worse when turning, or perhaps go away when steering to one side and not the other? It does sound like an issue with the cv joint.

bechdan
05-16-2013, 04:00 PM
no thats the confusing thing, it makes no noise on turning, its just when putting more power down or changing down a gear i.e. engine braking, anything that causes the car to jerk slightly foreward or backward.

Amdkt7
05-16-2013, 04:06 PM
You need to have it jacked up and try turning the wheel by hand, forward and backward and see if you can hear it. The car should be in gear. If you can hear it that way you can track down where the sound is coming from. I have heard of other new cv joints making noises. It is also possible that they did not tighten up something properly.
Look for excessive play, compare it to the good side.

bechdan
05-31-2013, 02:30 PM
the stupid garage id had the driveshaft replaced at had used the incorrect size hub nut, which meant that it would not tighten up fully, didnt need much more, just a couple of mm but that was enough. simple fix, new wheel nut and sorted.

Amdkt7
05-31-2013, 04:23 PM
glad to hear it is fixed. Wonder where they got the wrong nut from?

nookandcrannycar
05-31-2013, 05:16 PM
the stupid garage id had the driveshaft replaced at had used the incorrect size hub nut, which meant that it would not tighten up fully, didnt need much more, just a couple of mm but that was enough. simple fix, new wheel nut and sorted.

:rolleyes: While reading progressively down through each post (BEFORE getting to this post) my best hunch was that they did something wrong re the reapair and they just don't want to admit it. Glad to hear they made things right :thumbsup:.