PDA

View Full Version : CVT drain / refill - Yaris 2007

tyrone_yaris
05-13-2013, 02:45 AM
Hi,

My Yaris sedan has completed about 47,000 kms and I'm planning to replace the CVT fluid in the near future. Do I need to also clean up the filter inside or should a simple drain / refill suffice with removing the drain bolt and the drain tube?

Frankly, speaking I do not want to open up the sump but if it has to be done then will do it as that would entail replacing the gasket, drain tube o-ring etc.

Would appreciate some suggestions/advice from those who have done this.

Thanks

Tyrone

unclenefeesa
05-13-2013, 03:57 AM
Hi,

its nice to see somone with a CVT Yaris.
I thought it only sells in Japan.
is it Sedan or Hatchback? and the engine 1.3 or 1.5?
4WD too?

I might not be of help in changing the oil but I am curious about the Car :smile:

tyrone_yaris
05-13-2013, 04:20 AM
Hi,

its nice to see somone with a CVT Yaris.
I thought it only sells in Japan.
is it Sedan or Hatchback? and the engine 1.3 or 1.5?
4WD too?

I might not be of help in changing the oil but I am curious about the Car :smile:

Yes its available worldwide with different names. Here its called a Belta. Its a Sedan 1.0 L Two wheel drive.

bronsin
05-13-2013, 05:57 AM
I doubt anyone is this country has ever seen a CVT in a Yaris or knows about changing the oil.

Except CTScott....:headbang:

eseriestv
05-31-2013, 05:54 PM
Im also seeking for help.

I cant find the cvt oil or how to check it. My car came from Japan and has Super CVT-i

bronsin
06-01-2013, 04:35 AM
What does the owners manual say to do?

nookandcrannycar
06-02-2013, 03:41 AM
Except CTScott....:headbang:

^^^^^ This = so likely true, it made me chuckle.

CTScott
06-02-2013, 07:21 AM
Here's a link to an article that I posted a while back on the Micro Image forum on how to change the fluid in a CVT:

http://www.microimageonline.com/forums/showthread.php/4794-Article-Yaris-Vitz-IQ-CVT-Fluid-Change

bronsin
06-03-2013, 06:07 AM
Until the iQ showed up in the US the CVT, as far as I know, was not offered on a Toyota here.

I wonder how they hold up compared to a regular automatic? On a scooter with a CVT the belt will need changing at intervals that vary with the rider and usage the bike gets.

tyrone_yaris
06-05-2013, 03:09 AM
Here's a link to an article that I posted a while back on the Micro Image forum on how to change the fluid in a CVT:

http://www.microimageonline.com/forums/showthread.php/4794-Article-Yaris-Vitz-IQ-CVT-Fluid-Change

CTScott, do you need to open up the sump to clean the filter/magnets inside or is a simple fluid change suffiicient as you mentioned in the link above? Car has done about 48,000 kms.

tyrone_yaris
06-06-2013, 01:20 AM
Anyone????

CTScott
06-06-2013, 06:05 AM
The CVT doesn't have a filter, but it does have magnets on the floor of the pan.

tyrone_yaris
06-06-2013, 06:54 AM
The CVT doesn't have a filter, but it does have magnets on the floor of the pan.

So is there a need to open up the pan or its not necessary as the gaskets are not freely available here. Do the magnets get dirty as such which would require cleaning?

CTScott
06-06-2013, 06:59 AM
So is there a need to open up the pan or its not necessary as the gaskets are not freely available here. Do the magnets get dirty as such which would require cleaning?

I wouldn't drop the pan just to clean the magnets, if the gasket is not easy to come by. They can hold quite a bit of shavings.

tyrone_yaris
06-06-2013, 07:04 AM
I wouldn't drop the pan just to clean the magnets, if the gasket is not easy to come by. They can hold quite a bit of shavings.

That's good to hear CT Scott. Since I'm doing a flush at 50,000 km and the next will be done at 100,000 km so just wanna make sure that a simple drain refill will be fine and wanted your input as our conditions here are hot and dusty.

tyrone_yaris
06-06-2013, 07:42 AM
While we're on the subject of the CVT flush for the VItz (K410) transmission, I'm attaching a pic of the port that many have used to refill the CVT fluid. Can you identify this port?

CTScott
06-06-2013, 09:04 AM
It is under the oval shaped black metal piece in the left picture.

tyrone_yaris
06-06-2013, 09:08 AM
It is under the oval shaped black metal piece in the left picture.

You mean that is the CVT filler port for the IKR FE and not the big bolt that is mentioned in the Micromanage link given below??

http://www.microimageonline.com/forums/content.php/161-Yaris-Vitz-IQ-CVT-Fluid-Change

tyrone_yaris
06-06-2013, 02:09 PM
CTScott would appreciate if you could clarify th above with regard to the filler port mentioned in the Micromanage article. Thanks.

CTScott
06-06-2013, 02:45 PM
You mean that is the CVT filler port for the IKR FE and not the big bolt that is mentioned in the Micromanage link given below??

http://www.microimageonline.com/forums/content.php/161-Yaris-Vitz-IQ-CVT-Fluid-Change

I think it depends on the vintage of the CVT, and perhaps which vehicle it is used on as to if the fill port looks like the one above or the one in my DIY on MI.

tyrone_yaris
06-07-2013, 01:22 AM
I think it depends on the vintage of the CVT, and perhaps which vehicle it is used on as to if the fill port looks like the one above or the one in my DIY on MI.

Ok so which fill port shld I use in my case, the black oval one or the one in your DIY at MI which I believe is the side bolt marked TC. (Pic attached)

Details of my car: Toyota Belta Year: 2007

1KRFE Engine, Chassis KSP92-BEXNK, CVFC ATM STEPLESS FLOOR SHIFT

Would appreciate if you could clear this confusion as it would help many out here in our country.

Thanks

Tyrone

CTScott
06-07-2013, 08:08 AM
Ok so which fill port shld I use in my case, the black oval one or the one in your DIY at MI which I believe is the side bolt marked TC. (Pic attached)

Details of my car: Toyota Belta Year: 2007

1KRFE Engine, Chassis KSP92-BEXNK, CVFC ATM STEPLESS FLOOR SHIFT

Would appreciate if you could clear this confusion as it would help many out here in our country.

Thanks

Tyrone

Based on your model code, it would look like the bolt in the picture above, as opposed to the oval black cover.

tyrone_yaris
06-08-2013, 12:52 AM
Based on your model code, it would look like the bolt in the picture above, as opposed to the oval black cover.

Thanks for your help. I guess the oval black cover is probably used to check the temp or quality of the fluid using a toyota probe.

ciscobear
06-08-2013, 06:57 AM
Look what I found Tyrone. This guy changing his fluid on his Estima. Can anyone read the Japanese in the did?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWF7m7oQ7QE

I gotta post this for murtaza.

tyrone_yaris
06-08-2013, 07:14 AM
Look what I found Tyrone. This guy changing his fluid on his Estima. Can anyone read the Japanese in the did?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWF7m7oQ7QE

I gotta post this for murtaza.

That's Coool!!!! Is it the same K410 as the Vitz / Belta here ?

ciscobear
06-08-2013, 11:46 AM
Seems to be K112 for the Estima. But seems to be same shape, outer body. I figure the internals maybe different.

VitzHead
06-08-2013, 05:39 PM
Well I've got a 09' Vitz RS with a CVT, 7-speed with paddle shifters and CVT-Sport mode.
It's a hoot to drive as it kinda feels like i'm driving a 'Baby' sports car or sumthin. LOL

I didn't get a owners manual with the car which I suspect would've been in Japanese anyway, but I was curious about the CVT so I looked around the engine bay & noticed there isn't a transmission dip-stick (like conventional automatics).
A friend who's a mechanic told me that the CVT fluid is good for the lifetime of the car, I kinda find this hard to believe .... Is this true???

ciscobear
06-08-2013, 10:08 PM
Nope that lifetime talk is nonsense. Watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=037cAvY5y3Q

tyrone_yaris
06-12-2013, 07:07 AM
Hi CT Scott. Thanks for all your help. I just managed to get the CVT fluid drained and refilled today, as detailed by you in Micro Image and with your advice here on the forum.

Thanks once again.