PDA

View Full Version : Bought used yaris, smelled nice, now bad. Any help?

Shinare
05-13-2013, 09:26 PM
I bought my used yaris about a month ago and it smelled really nice on the inside. now that its a month old the nice smell has warn away and, as an ex-smoker, I can tell this was a heavy smokers car before me.

Aside from feeling like I was hoodwinked with "new car smell" from the dealership, is there anything I can do to permanently "fix" the smoker's smell?

I'm willing to gut the car and wash everything if that would make a difference (or is even possible or advisable).

Any suggestions? Its starting to get warmer here and just having open windows is getting to be out of the question. I'm sure when I have the AC on and windows closed %100 its going to get even worse.

Astroman
05-13-2013, 09:33 PM
One way is to replace the fabric on the seats, carpet, and headliner. That can get spendy. The only reason I know this is because a few years back after my yaris lost the new car smell, I got it back when my entire interior got destroyed by someone throwing a lit firework inside. Shampooing the seats and carpet would help. Getting the seats out is a pretty simple process, you'll just need the right socket at autozone or your local autoparts store.

Foot
05-13-2013, 10:10 PM
I would try renting a RugDoctor or something like that for a day. Only cost about 25 dollars where I live. You have to rent the car attachment as well. Also, buy the cleaner, I bought the enzyme cleaner as well for my outside room. That was because the person before me had pets and smoked. It solved the smoke smell but on humid, hot days sometimes the room still smells like dog. Good luck and if you get the RugDoctor it will take at least and hour or so to do a good job on the car. Keep the windows down if possible to allow to air dry a day.

Golddeenoh
05-13-2013, 10:44 PM
replace the fabrics and scrub the hard surfaces, that is why no one likes getting a car that was smoked in you can't get rid of the smell easy or cheaply.

CTScott
05-13-2013, 11:14 PM
Replacing the fabrics gets mighty expensive. I would start with cleaning all plastics, giving the AC system a good cleaning with Ozium, and having the fabrics professionally cleaned by a good detailing shop. Also, put some baking soda in a cup and just leave it in the rear cup holder. Replace it once a week.

TOLMACH
05-13-2013, 11:25 PM
This i like )) http://www.ebay.com/itm/AS-CARTRIDGE-A19-MARINE-SQUASH-AS-CARTRIDGE-AIR-SPENCER-AIR-FRESHENER-EIKOSHA-/281082413233?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4171d140b1&vxp=mtr

(buying this marine squash stuff for the last like 5 years)

Altitude
05-14-2013, 02:28 AM
^^^ What does "Marine Squash" smell like?

Foot
05-14-2013, 07:01 AM
I forgot you could replace the in air cabin filter with a carbon based one as well. Think there is a thread about Frebreeze one. Also read about someone putting coffee beans in the car. Which will only cover the smell but you may not smell the smoke.

Shinare
05-14-2013, 11:21 AM
I think I might try the RugDoctor thing first (or a couple times) and look for the car attachment. Does it hurt anything to use that on the headliner?

I'll try taking the seats out as well so I can really get every nook and cranny.

I'll see if I can get the entire carpet out as well. Is it expensive to replace that? Its warn through where the driver's left foot rests anyway.

esse10
05-14-2013, 11:28 AM
I have read that some folks put a sheet of cloth dryer fabric softner in the cabin filter, good for a month or two. :thumbsup:

YarisSedan
05-14-2013, 11:46 AM
Get a Moso Bag lasts several years and you can keep recharging it. You put it under your car seat and it soaks up all the smells in the car. I keep one in my car at all times gets rid of the food smell if you leave a bag of mcdonalds in your car accidentally overnight. Its better and cheaper in the long run than any air freshener and really neutralizes all odors.

YarisSedan
05-14-2013, 11:47 AM
http://www.amazon.com/MOSO-MB2578-Moso-200g-Natural/dp/B004BOHV7Q/ref=pd_bxgy_hg_img_y

esse10
05-14-2013, 05:05 PM
http://www.amazon.com/MOSO-MB2578-Moso-200g-Natural/dp/B004BOHV7Q/ref=pd_bxgy_hg_img_y

I like your Idea best guess I'll buy a few for all my cars.....:thumbsup:

bairjo
05-14-2013, 11:01 PM
Maybe this?

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=how%20to%20use%20nilodor%20drops&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCsQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nilodor.com%2FMember%2Fnilodo r%2FImages%2FImageGallery%2Fflyers%2Fnilodor.pdf&ei=P_qSUYjENOnFyAGPnYGwBA&usg=AFQjCNGc6enJEBAR1VMc5YwA7BqOPV74LQ

_S7V7N_
05-15-2013, 05:08 PM
We used to use something similar. I'll keep looking but if you're desperate.

http://www.autogeekmobile.net/clairgefoair.html

Amdkt7
05-16-2013, 04:10 PM
Taking the carpet out seems excessive. Clean everything possible, wipe it down, and use the carpet upholstery cleaner on the carpet and fabric. Go light on the head liner! I think a good cleaning and a little bit of time will take care of the problem.

47_MasoN_47
05-17-2013, 10:58 AM
When I bought my truck it had been smoked in pretty regularly. I pulled the dash apart and washed all the AC stuff/plastics, then vacuumed all the carpets and basically soaked the entire interior in auto febreeze a couple times a day for about a week while leaving the windows open (in the garage) and eventually the smoke smell went away.

Yaris_80
05-18-2013, 03:25 AM
Rent an o-zone machine, It will take ll smells out permanently.

UberSilver
05-18-2013, 12:45 PM
I'd return it to the dealer and let them take care of it. After all, they covered it up. if that does not work, you could always start smoking again.

nookandcrannycar
05-18-2013, 08:56 PM
I'd be so pissed off (if what happened to the OP happened to me), my blood pressure might raise outside the 'rated desired' range I am within. This is one reason I try to find the cheapest (overall to operate) NEW cars I can find (that I also like). I'm pretty cynical about some things and the fact that the dealer did this to the OP doesn't surprise me very much.

Sorry if my attitude (re what the dealer did to the OP) offends anyone. Smoking just brings up old issues for me. I've never been a smoker, but my father smoked 4 packs of unfiltered Pall Malls every day for 35 years. During the last year of his life, his Emphysema was so bad that he couldn't walk half a block without stopping to rest, had prescribed inhalers, and still didn't stop smoking!. He started smoking when he was in the U.S. Army, and before that he was quite athletic. My mother smoked 2 packs of filtered cigarettes a day. It took her 4 years to quit (once she put her mind to it), but she did it and never smoked again. She died, stricken by Lung Cancer (Small cell carcinoma), a bit over 20 years later. My current next door neighbor, in his early 70s, just lost his wife of nearly 50 years (one of the sweetest individuals I have ever encountered) to Crohn's disease. He said her doctors told him that she might not have gotten it at all, or at least would have suffered less, had she not been a smoker. He quit over 30 years ago, but could never get her to quit.

nookandcrannycar
05-18-2013, 09:07 PM
I'd return it to the dealer and let them take care of it. After all, they covered it up.

^^^^^ Of course this would be the best next action to take. If the dealer refuses to make it right, I'd contact the Attorney General's office in your state to see what other options are available.

frog13
05-19-2013, 08:38 PM
Woolite use to make upholstery cleaner.....you can also try....Aerospace 303 (Sunbrella)
fabric cleaner.All of Areospace 303's stuff is top notch.

Shinare
05-20-2013, 10:23 AM
Hey all, I went to Pep Boys this weekend and bought one of those "bug bomb" car freshener foggers that I didn't even know existed before this thread. The only one they had left in stock was a "Floral" scented one. I bought it and used it. It seems to have worked very well except that now my car smells like the inside of a very small, very packed with flowers, florist shop, heh. I would have preferred something with not quite so dramatic of a smell, but that was the last one on the shelf. Anyway, what a difference. Smoke smell is gone. I guess we'll see how permanent it is in the long run.