PDA

View Full Version : Automatic door locks

mrbond
05-13-2013, 11:38 PM
So, I know there's a relay kit that automatically closes your windows when you lock the doors, but is there some sort of way to set up a relay to lock the doors when the engine shuts off?
I ask because I just put an Apexi auto timer in my car, but I can't lock the doors (I have factory power locks and keyless entry) when the car is still running after I take the key out. It kind of makes the whole process useless to me, since I'll either have to wait for the timer to turn the car off so I can lock it (sometimes I'm in a hurry), or I'll turn the timer off long before it would have normally. I'd like to see if anyone has any ideas on how to set something up that would automatically activate the locks after the engine shuts off.

CTScott
05-14-2013, 06:23 AM
The easiest fix would be to use an aftermarket keyless entry system instead of the OEM one. It seems a bit silly, but would be easy to install and would not have that quirk of not being able to lock the door with the engine running.

mrbond
05-14-2013, 10:06 AM
I'd really rather not do that, but maybe it'll be a last resort.

I don't mind doing more challenging or difficult work as long as I end up with the desired effect. What if a relay were set up to simply lock the doors at a predetermined time, like 20-30 seconds after you take the key out of the ignition? That sounds like a wiring job I could handle pretty well. But I don't know how to make it happen, that's the thing :/

CTScott
05-14-2013, 12:55 PM
I'd really rather not do that, but maybe it'll be a last resort.

I don't mind doing more challenging or difficult work as long as I end up with the desired effect. What if a relay were set up to simply lock the doors at a predetermined time, like 20-30 seconds after you take the key out of the ignition? That sounds like a wiring job I could handle pretty well. But I don't know how to make it happen, that's the thing :/

That is doable, but would take a little work, as the relay needs to be pulsed to lock it, not latched. I could create a little smart module for you.

mrbond
05-14-2013, 03:17 PM
Pm sent

jcboy
05-14-2013, 03:27 PM
The easiest fix would be to use an aftermarket keyless entry system instead of the OEM one. It seems a bit silly, but would be easy to install and would not have that quirk of not being able to lock the door with the engine running.

an aftermarket alarm is really the way to go, because some alarms have "active arming" which locks the doors at 30s,1min or 2min (depending on the brand) after the last door is closed. the doors will be locking actively even while the turbo timer delay is still in effect.

mrbond
05-14-2013, 03:38 PM
That sounds interesting, since I've thought about getting an alarm system. Could someone use the factory keyless entry remote to work with an alarm system? I hate pretty much all of those alarm remotes and want to keep using mine.