PDA

View Full Version : Is my water pump going out?

daf62757
05-14-2013, 09:20 PM
I have noticed my fan belt making a squealing noise at start up. My 09 Yaris has about 87K miles and never had any maintenance problems so this has me concerned.

My guy feeling is to have the water pump replaced along with the belt. Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Golddeenoh
05-14-2013, 09:33 PM
water pump would cause more issues, more likely belt stretch, adjust tension before by moving the alternator first, also make sure that there aren't and alignment issues with the pulleys and that the pulleys are clean of debris and that the belt does not have cracks or chips in it.

Exiwolfman
05-14-2013, 09:35 PM
I have noticed my fan belt making a squealing noise at start up. My 09 Yaris has about 87K miles and never had any maintenance problems so this has me concerned.

My guy feeling is to have the water pump replaced along with the belt. Has anyone else had a similar problem?

just tighten the belt...a 12 mm and a 14 mm bolt , slide the alternator forward..just dont go to tight with the belt also look for cracks if it needs replacement just do it.

esse10
05-14-2013, 09:35 PM
If you bought this car new and never changed the belt once than most likely that's your problem. It's gotten old and needs to be replaced before it breaks on you man. Most belts only last about 3-4 years. I change mine every 4 years even if their not squeeling or still look good, why take the chance of getting stranded. Water pumps usually start leaking from the weep hole when their about to go bad, if you see coolant on your garage floor and trace it back to the pump, it's time to replace it ASAP before it leaves you stranded and damage the engine in the process.

Astroman
05-14-2013, 09:37 PM
I needed to replace my belt at 87k miles. If it's original just replace it and see how it goes.

daf62757
05-14-2013, 11:00 PM
Good input guys! I will replace the belt and let you all know how it turns out.