PDA

View Full Version : automatic down shift?

peewee1
05-21-2013, 04:59 PM
To all you expert yaris drivers/owners, is it advisable to downshift an automatic tranny when coming to a stop sign/light? I have developed a habit of going into 3rd gear from 4th gear when approaching a stop sign. Does this kind of driving have any effects on the "ecm", and its learning ability?

Deathegg
05-21-2013, 06:25 PM
I'd say the trans knows what to do; just leave it in drive and let it downshift when it wants to.

jayeh
05-21-2013, 07:51 PM
I'd say the trans knows what to do; just leave it in drive and let it downshift when it wants to.

The trans knows what to do for the smoothest ride...

MadMax
05-21-2013, 10:29 PM
No reason for it, and it probably counteracts the DFCO which works to maximize your fuel efficiency.

I only downshift in my automatic when I'm feeling frisky and want to think my Yaris is a real sports car.

Oh, that and when I come upon steep hills!

Cheers! M2

10 Francis
05-22-2013, 10:16 PM
DFCO only works in an auto when you downshift...

Aamya
05-23-2013, 12:48 AM
I have a question for all,.
Can you please tell me that Do you ever need to downshift in an automatic car?
Waiting for the answer,.?

MadMax
05-23-2013, 09:44 AM
DFCO only works in an auto when you downshift...

Wrong. Early versions of the AT (Including ones sold in the U.S. until around January 2007) can only achieve DFCO with a gear selection lower than (D)rive, i.e. 3 or L, but since half way through the 2007 model year the AT can achieve DFCO in all gears.

Downshifting is NOT required. The system will remain on until the accelerator is engaged, engine speed drops below 1,100 RPM or the transmission is put into neutral or the clutch engaged (on manuals).

Hershey
05-23-2013, 10:54 AM
When the O.B.D ( drop to 3rd ) kicks in during a descent there's no change in F.E.. The Eco-Meter gains gas mileage .

ilikerice
05-23-2013, 11:36 AM
I have a question for all,.
Can you please tell me that Do you ever need to downshift in an automatic car?
Waiting for the answer,.?

Only time you would need to downshift is if you are driving in the mountains and going up a steep hill. Say that you are going up a hill and you hit the accelerator and it feels like your not moving and it wont downshift on its own and you don't wanna peg the gas too the floor. Then you would downshift to 3rd to keep the RPM's high so you got quick acceleration up a hill and you dont have to worry about the car switching back and forth from OD to 3rd.

Amdkt7
05-23-2013, 12:27 PM
Nothing wrong with downshifting to reduce the use of the brakes. It helps reduce brake wear, and also helps keep the engine in DFCO (saves fuel). And yes, it does add wear to the tranny..... but how much? No more than upshifting, especially during high acceleration.

One caution, don't downshift so early that it makes the engine over rev. Personally, I don't like to downshift so early that my RPMs exceed 5K rpm.

47_MasoN_47
05-23-2013, 02:58 PM
Why would you ever manually shift an automatic? Automatic transmissions cost a fuckload more than a set of brakes. Use the brakes to stop and let the transmission do its own thing.

Septembersrain
05-23-2013, 04:37 PM
Yeah. I can't see myself using the wanna be manual option in my automatic.
I think I could do way more harm than good in that instance.
I haven't actually driven a manual since I was 14.

I think if you want a manual, Buy one.
If you want an automatic, Don't make try to make it a manual.
Just my opinion anyways.
Everyone has their own idea of right and wrong.

MadMax
05-24-2013, 06:10 PM
I occasionally shift my auto, usually when driving a bit more aggressively than usual. If it wasn't designed to take it, then it wouldn't have that option. I am simply using it the way Toyota engineered it.

The nice thing is when I do want/need it to shift on its own, it can...

Accept it or not, but automatic transmissions are the future of motoring. Toyota sold considerably more automatics in the Yaris than it did manuals, and many cars are not even offered with manuals anymore.

Even in Europe, where the manual transmission reigned supreme long after it started fading in popularity in the States, it is now more common to see automatics.

The clock is ticking...

47_MasoN_47
05-24-2013, 06:54 PM
I wish I could have gotten a 5 speed in my car :(

jayeh
05-24-2013, 10:28 PM
I occasionally shift my auto, usually when driving a bit more aggressively than usual. If it wasn't designed to take it, then it wouldn't have that option. I am simply using it the way Toyota engineered it.

The nice thing is when I do want/need it to shift on its own, it can...

Accept it or not, but automatic transmissions are the future of motoring. Toyota sold considerably more automatics in the Yaris than it did manuals, and many cars are not even offered with manuals anymore.

Even in Europe, where the manual transmission reigned supreme long after it started fading in popularity in the States, it is now more common to see automatics.

The clock is ticking...

+1. Toyota even says you can do it in the owners manual.

Other cars, chrysler for example, don't allow you to necessarily choose gears directly. You can only changes modes for the AT, for example D is regular operation, 3 holds gears longer for better performance, and L keeps it in the lowest gear till near the redline then upshifts. All gears are available in all modes!

yougojay
05-26-2013, 08:17 PM
To all you expert yaris drivers/owners, is it advisable to downshift an automatic tranny when coming to a stop sign/light? I have developed a habit of going into 3rd gear from 4th gear when approaching a stop sign. Does this kind of driving have any effects on the "ecm", and its learning ability?

I have 'developed' the same habit, peewee1, always under 40 mph. Stop signs and stoplights. Won't hurt it at all. Nothing wrong with manually shifting an automatic transmission, we have a choice.

Had a TH125 Auto in an '88 Fiero Formula that I manually shifted all the time - never had a problem with it, sold it at 89, 000 miles.....and that was an 80's GM tranny