PDA

View Full Version : Electrical woes

valawndart
05-21-2013, 10:50 PM
Am new to working on my '07 Yaris, and when replacing the water pump and pulley, I pulled the alternator off to get better access. But stoopid me forgot to remove the negative terminal off the battery - got a nice little spark when the alternator pivoted forward and made contact.

Now that the water pump is replaced and buttoned up, I noticed I was missing some functions when running the engine to burp the radiator. Have no radio, AC, turn signals, wipers, etc.

I found this link (http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37156&highlight=radio+power) searching here, but I don't know which fuse Mattneto15 meant by "... A1 fuse under the dash, 25LP."

Any other troubleshooting advice would be appreciated.

CTScott
05-21-2013, 10:52 PM
Actually, check the two fusible links on the positive battery terminal (under the red cover). You will find one of them has blown.

valawndart
05-21-2013, 10:56 PM
Man! What a fast reply! Will check it out and update the thread.

I've not seen these fusible links before- I guess I can find them at WalMart or auto parts stores?

Thanks again!

CTScott
05-22-2013, 05:58 AM
Man! What a fast reply! Will check it out and update the thread.

I've not seen these fusible links before- I guess I can find them at WalMart or auto parts stores?

Thanks again!

The ones on the battery terminal are a Toyota only thing.

esse10
05-22-2013, 04:07 PM
Try this place it has good prices for OEM toyota parts. I used them when I order for my Tacoma Truck, I like them cause it helps to look at a diagram of what you're actually ordering. Toyomotorparts.com My yaris has been running flawless and hope it stays that way..LOL :thumbsup:

valawndart
05-22-2013, 11:41 PM
OK, an update on the problem. I have some power- the car cranks and runs and dash/indicator lights come on.

From what I've searched, if the fusible links on the positive terminal were blown, I wouldn't get anything, right?

None of the fuses seem blown. The weird part is that I pulled a few fuses under driver's dash and I have power to them (checked WIP, PANEL1, A/C). The 30A fusible links behind the change cup are both good also (checked w/VOM).

I'm scratchin' my head.

CTScott
05-23-2013, 06:23 AM
There are two separate links. If the 120A one was blown the car would not start, but with the 60A one blown it will start, but the dome lights, turn signals, radio, etc. will not work.

_S7V7N_
05-23-2013, 02:29 PM
If you have a meter set it to the "Beeper" function and check the fuse out of circuit(pull the fuse out) and check for continuity. (Place a lead on each leg of the fuse) beep = good. No beep = bad.

valawndart
05-25-2013, 05:19 AM
I've ordered the fusible link from dealer. May get here today, otherwise I have to wait until Wed.

valawndart
05-26-2013, 01:32 AM
Bingo! It was the fusible link. Got the part this afternoon, swapped it out and all is groovy!

Now that the car is running and quiet after replacing the water pump pulley, I can hear more noises, so more projects....

Thanks to CTScott for the fix!!