PDA

View Full Version : 2008 yaris with intermittent power failures please help

08yarisbroken
05-26-2013, 12:39 AM
Hello my 19 year old daughter bought this yaris used from the toyota dealer almost 2 months ago .. Her issue is when she goes to start her car she has no dash lights or interior or headlights no starter nothing like its completely dead. Then about ten minutes later its fine .
Every time I come to her rescue its already in a normal state.. door lights headlights, door dummy light.. no issues...

so I asked her to make a youtube video when it occurred again and it did a couple days ago. so if you can please help with an idea of what to replace that would be great.. If by chance the ecm is at fault can we just buy a used one from ebay and plug and play?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2Zv5Kx9xy8&feature=youtu.be

when i arrived 5 minutes after this video was shot it was back to normal little blue.. ty guys for your help

CTScott
05-26-2013, 06:34 AM
I am thinking that the IG2 relay is causing that. It is part of the Integration Relay, which is an assembly within the under-hood fuse panel. When it occurs again, tell her to pop the hood and the cover on the fuse box and have someone put their ear close to the fuse box, listening for a click as she turns the key from the OFF to ON position.

08yarisbroken
05-26-2013, 12:10 PM
would the ign2 relay control all the key off power to the car too?

The headlight and dome lights didn't work when its showing its problem too.

Ign2 controls power to these also I take it..

If so for whatever the cost is I'm going to have to try that first Ive read your prior posts to say its about $110. or so.

Is the ecm then cleared of this being the fault. And is it coded or matched to the car?

I thank you sooooo much.. I feel like a jerk because i can't fix or find this problem asap. I don't want her safety jeopardized.

CTScott
05-26-2013, 12:19 PM
would the ign2 relay control all the key off power to the car too?

The headlight and dome lights didn't work when its showing its problem too.

Ign2 controls power to these also I take it..

If so for whatever the cost is I'm going to have to try that first Ive read your prior posts to say its about $110. or so.

Is the ecm then cleared of this being the fault. And is it coded or matched to the car?

I thank you sooooo much.. I feel like a jerk because i can't fix or find this problem asap. I don't want her safety jeopardized.

Actually the IG2 relay would not come into play for the dome light. The ECM also could not cause this, so I would actually check the battery terminals for corrosion and the large connectors that plug into the back of the positive battery terminal for corrosion as well.

08yarisbroken
05-26-2013, 07:48 PM
ok i will inspect the wire and fuse area near the battery and firewall.

this car i believe was preowned in oregon and I can see a light coating of white corrosion all over the engine bay.

ty for your help

yaris1F8
05-26-2013, 07:58 PM
Sounds like the battery posts not sparking, need to remove them and clean them with sand papers.. posts and all..

Deshi Basara
05-28-2013, 10:07 PM
I had the same problem and did what yari1F8 stated above. After cleaning the battery post and removing the gunk out of it, the freaking car started and never had the problem since. Start small first then move to something big. Always check your battery first :)

08yarisbroken
06-01-2013, 04:31 PM
found the problem, it was a loose ground at the battery post.
I'm unsure why stevens creek toyota didn't find it on their try.
But I am glad for all your support and hope you have a great one.
T

CTScott
06-01-2013, 08:06 PM
found the problem, it was a loose ground at the battery post.
I'm unsure why stevens creek toyota didn't find it on their try.
But I am glad for all your support and hope you have a great one.
T

Nice! I am glad to hear that it was resolved that easily. Hopefully it will provide your daughter with many years of reliability now.

Goosecreekjoey
04-19-2017, 04:39 PM
Ctscott still online with Yaris help