PDA

View Full Version : Crack on side wall...

soup1207
05-30-2013, 06:54 PM
Hi all,

My tires has some cracking on its sidewall. Do I have to change them immediately due to that? I did the tire rotation today at sears and they didn't say anything like asking me to buy new one.

If I put some thing like "fix a tire" product in it, would it help those crack on side wall of the tire?

I am planning to drive to Canada. Not sure if I should replace them. Currently I have slightly over 30k with those tires and I use them since 2009.

Thanks,

Ricky

CTScott
05-30-2013, 07:32 PM
Post a picture of the sidewall cracking. The size and depth of the cracks will determine if they are superficial or a problem.

soup1207
05-30-2013, 08:06 PM
http://s23.postimg.org/dcep99fw7/IMG_20130528_170723.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/dcep99fw7/)

http://s23.postimg.org/a841cgz3r/IMG_20130528_170744.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/a841cgz3r/)

http://s23.postimg.org/7cqy5lv3r/IMG_20130528_170755.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/7cqy5lv3r/)

Finally.

CTScott
05-30-2013, 08:20 PM
Those are very similar to ones that someone else recently posted. In my opinion, those cracks are beyond cosmetic and I would deem those tires unsafe.

alanwagen
05-30-2013, 08:44 PM
Your tread is separating. They will fail. BTW, have you been keeping them inflated. Usually a heat issue due to under-inflation. Good catch on your part to notice that.

Foot
05-30-2013, 09:25 PM
I had similar problems with my tires, I thought it looked weird but it was before I joined yarisworld. I drove them unti they were bald at 15k miles, then I drove them another 5k. I know some people had good luck with the oem tires, I for one did not.

soup1207
05-30-2013, 09:45 PM
I didn't keep checking them since there's a sensor for tire. I check when the light is on...last time I inflate it to about 38 to 39 PSI, the standard is 35 for this tire.

Would it be part of the factors also? Or only under inflated cause this problem?

Thanks,

Ricky

CTScott
05-30-2013, 09:58 PM
I didn't keep checking them since there's a sensor for tire. I check when the light is on...last time I inflate it to about 38 to 39 PSI, the standard is 35 for this tire.

Would it be part of the factors also? Or only under inflated cause this problem?

Thanks,

Ricky

Overinflation can lead to problems as well, but 4 or 5 psi over would not be enough to cause that type of failure.

soup1207
05-30-2013, 10:40 PM
Thanks all. I think I will go for Sears since most other place are about the same in final price. Cooper seems like a good brand...?

soup1207
05-30-2013, 11:44 PM
Overinflation can lead to problems as well, but 4 or 5 psi over would not be enough to cause that type of failure.

My last time inflat my tire...I remember the psi is at 2x....not sure why the sensor light up only when it's so low.

How often should I check my tire ? Which level would start harming the tire?

Thanks,

Ricky

RedRide
05-31-2013, 12:07 PM
Yes, I agree.......get new tires.

Here is the other thread on the exact same issue.
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45440

CTScott
05-31-2013, 12:09 PM
My last time inflat my tire...I remember the psi is at 2x....not sure why the sensor light up only when it's so low.

How often should I check my tire ? Which level would start harming the tire?

Thanks,

Ricky

With how light the Yaris is, you would need to be at least 10 to 15 PSI over the tire's recommended pressure before you would potentially hurt them.

soup1207
05-31-2013, 06:32 PM
Why the light of yaris make it a need of extra psi to keep tires safe?

CTScott
05-31-2013, 07:01 PM
Why the light of yaris make it a need of extra psi to keep tires safe?

The light weight doesn't mean that you need to add more air, it just means that you can do so without as much of an issue as you would have with a much heavier car.

soup1207
05-31-2013, 07:05 PM
Then, would more psi than the recommended 35 psi be good for Yaris? If yes, explain a bit of the benefit please?

BTW, if I am currently using 185 tire, I think I can't swtich to 175 without changing the wheel, am I right?

CTScott
05-31-2013, 07:12 PM
Then, would more psi than the recommended 35 psi be good for Yaris? If yes, explain a bit of the benefit please?

BTW, if I am currently using 185 tire, I think I can't swtich to 175 without changing the wheel, am I right?

More than 35 would not be recommended, but some people run them up at 40psi to improve fuel economy.

175's would be fine on your existing wheels, but you may want to match the overall diameter of your 185s, so your speedometer still measures correctly.

alanwagen
05-31-2013, 08:38 PM

Thanks,

Ricky

IMO, I do not count on the light to keep up with my tire pressure. I check them once a month. Any drop in pressure causes more heat which is what caused your tread to separate. Best of luck.

soup1207
05-31-2013, 09:58 PM
Thank you very much, I will check them monthly from now on, not a difficult job anyway.

I have a further question about this tire. My father said, "if they are not retreaded tire / refurbished tire, they should be fine." Because the rubber is made all at the same time instead of combining an old tire with new rubber (tread). He means it's not likely to suddenly shred a big piece of rubber and broken down on the road.

Is he correct? (he's not auto technician, but his statement seems a little logical)

Question 2 - Do Good Year or other brand make retreaded tires? Is the one I am currently using is one of those? It's Good Year Eagle something (They are the tires come with my car on the first day.)

Thanks so much for all of you sparing your time with me.

CTScott
05-31-2013, 10:14 PM
Thank you very much, I will check them monthly from now on, not a difficult job anyway.

I have a further question about this tire. My father said, "if they are not retreaded tire / refurbished tire, they should be fine." Because the rubber is made all at the same time instead of combining an old tire with new rubber (tread). He means it's not likely to suddenly shred a big piece of rubber and broken down on the road.

Is he correct? (he's not auto technician, but his statement seems a little logical)

Question 2 - Do Good Year or other brand make retreaded tires? Is the one I am currently using is one of those? It's Good Year Eagle something (They are the tires come with my car on the first day.)

Thanks so much for all of you sparing your time with me.

Retreading is not common for car tires and would never be used on a new vehicle from the factory.

I would not expect the failure mode from that type of cracking to be shedding a large chunk of tread. I would expect it to eventually lead to an air leak or eventually a blow out, when the crack suddenly deepens.

soup1207
05-31-2013, 10:59 PM
I see... Thanks very much for your advice. A large chuck of tread shedding is what I worry about.

So those tire I purchased with a regular brand name like Good Year, Kelly, and so on, are not likely to be [re-make] tire. Thanks~!!