PDA

View Full Version : Broken Alternator Clip

inkredible
06-04-2013, 07:35 PM
I've been lurking this forum for a year and finally have a reason to post.

I was recently adjusting my alternator due to my serpentine belt having a squeak.

While doing so, I broke the base of the clip that goes onto the engine. I believe it may be a ground wire.

Has anyone ever done this, if so is there a diy fix or is this something I would have to bring it the dealer for.

I come from a 2jz/rb25 background. Working in such a tight space is bit new to me.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v107/firewire/Lexus%20SC300/YarisAlternatorPlug_zps7d37c7f6.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/firewire/media/Lexus%20SC300/YarisAlternatorPlug_zps7d37c7f6.jpg.html)

screenprintr
06-04-2013, 08:30 PM
Get some Duct tape! JK.

Contact the Autoparts store.

CTScott
06-04-2013, 09:14 PM
That's not a ground, it is the connector for the Oil Control Valve of the VVTI. It is a common and expensive mistake made while changing the belt.

inkredible
06-04-2013, 09:43 PM
Get some Duct tape! JK.

Contact the Autoparts store.

Since it is the end that connect to the engine, advance auto, autozone seem not to carry it.

That's not a ground, it is the connector for the Oil Control Valve of the VVTI. It is a common and expensive mistake made while changing the belt.

I figured that when I did it. The engine bay seems so fragile. I'm planning on dropping her off at toyota this weekend.

When you say expensive, what would be the ball park of having this repaired.

CTScott
06-04-2013, 09:47 PM
Since it is the end that connect to the engine, advance auto, autozone seem not to carry it.

I figured that when I did it. The engine bay seems so fragile. I'm planning on dropping her off at toyota this weekend.

When you say expensive, what would be the ball park of having this repaired.

The part itself is about $100. There's just one bolt that mounts it, so it only takes a minute to replace, but I would imagine that they will whack you the better portion of an hour in labor.

inkredible
06-04-2013, 11:19 PM
The part itself is about $100. There's just one bolt that mounts it, so it only takes a minute to replace, but I would imagine that they will whack you the better portion of an hour in labor.

Thanks a lot for the quick response.

mr_miles
06-04-2013, 11:23 PM
I did that recently also lol. it cost me 105 dollars, and 5 minutes for me to fix :)

inkredible
06-05-2013, 10:33 PM
I did that recently also lol. it ci st me 105 dollars, and 5 minutes for me to fix :)

I got quotes for the part at local toyota's today. $100 seems to be the going rate for this sensor.

I was planning on doing it myself, but things went from bad to worse. I lost the top alternator belt in the engine bay and I cannot get the bottom alternator bolt back in.

I'm gonna drop the yaris off at the dealer, they said they will charge me 1hr to put it all back together. The funniest thing about it was, the tech who helped identify the part, immediately knew how I broke it. Must be a common thing.

alanwagen
06-05-2013, 11:20 PM
I almost broke my son's but I stopped before it was too late. There are quite a few for sale on e-bay, so you know there is a market. It is in the worst place for belt tightening. Good luck.

auxmike
06-09-2013, 07:49 PM
Anyone have the P/N for it? Might order me one for my 2008 Hatch as a spare...

alanwagen
06-10-2013, 04:41 PM
Here is one on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VVT-Variable-Valve-Timing-Solenoid-for-Toyota-Echo-Prius-Yaris-Scion-XA-XB-1-5L-/370811888700?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AYaris&hash=item56561c643c&vxp=mtr

auxmike
06-10-2013, 05:09 PM
$68 shipped gets this real Toyota part....
I need to change my belt. Mabye ill pull that sensor even before I attempt it..

CTScott
06-10-2013, 05:28 PM
$68 shipped gets this real Toyota part....
I need to change my belt. Mabye ill pull that sensor even before I attempt it..

No need to pull it. Once you realize its presence, it is very easy to deal with the belt without hurting it.

auxmike
06-10-2013, 05:31 PM
I know that bottom alt bolt comes in at 40lbs ft and is hell to loosen. After doing my first belt change I left it at 20 and it hasn't shifted a bit. Will be a lot easier next time. I do recall pressing against that sensor and almost breaking it myself. Good to hear from ya CT:)

esse10
06-11-2013, 12:13 PM
I know that bottom alt bolt comes in at 40lbs ft and is hell to loosen. After doing my first belt change I left it at 20 and it hasn't shifted a bit. Will be a lot easier next time. I do recall pressing against that sensor and almost breaking it myself. Good to hear from ya CT:)

You didn't have to leave it at 20 lb pounds, you just had to apply some of that anti-sieze to the threads before installing. Really makes a diffirence to remove the next time around.

?? So is there a special tool to use to avoid breaking that VVTI sensor ? anybody?

esse10
06-11-2013, 12:21 PM
I've been lurking this forum for a year and finally have a reason to post.

I was recently adjusting my alternator due to my serpentine belt having a squeak.

While doing so, I broke the base of the clip that goes onto the engine. I believe it may be a ground wire.

Has anyone ever done this, if so is there a diy fix or is this something I would have to bring it the dealer for.

I come from a 2jz/rb25 background. Working in such a tight space is bit new to me.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v107/firewire/Lexus%20SC300/YarisAlternatorPlug_zps7d37c7f6.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/firewire/media/Lexus%20SC300/YarisAlternatorPlug_zps7d37c7f6.jpg.html)

Try working on a VW New Beetle , now those are really tight space to do repairs on. These yaris are easy compared to those beetles. ..:biggrin: