PDA

View Full Version : 2008 HB-119,000 miles, first mechanical failure

AbsolutelyRed
06-08-2013, 05:24 PM
So I just hit 119,000--and 5 years 3 days--and have now had my first problem with this amazingly reliable car (besides someone backing into me and caving in the driver's door).

The driver's seat won't stay locked into any of the forward adjustments, it slides all the way to the very back. Also, it feels like the release lever doesn't drop down the way it used to, it seems like it stays in the up position, and when I try to push it down it's just kind of mushy-feeling, and like I said, doesn't drop down and lock-in like it used to.

If anyone has any experience with this problem, I'd really appreciate it if you'd let me know what it might be... there doesn't seem to be anything physically in the way that would prevent the lever from engaging; I looked underneath and everything seems ok but I'm not sure if I have done a thorough enough inspection.

swidd
06-08-2013, 07:00 PM
I had the same problem when I had a tight-fitting seat cover around the handle on the side.

auxmike
06-09-2013, 07:44 PM
After putting Katzkin leather in my car, I have to slam on the slider bar on the lower front of the seat to lock it in place . It appears the cable is restricted by the very tight fitting leather. Try tipping the seatback towards the rear to loosen up the pressure on the cable. It does help with mine...

yougojay
06-10-2013, 08:41 AM
I looked underneath and everything seems ok but I'm not sure if I have done a thorough enough inspection.

My best suggestion is to take a good look at the configuration on one side and compare it to the other. The passenger side set-up underneath the seat is probably very similar to the drivers side.
Upon close inspection you will most likely find something amiss...you may have disconnected a guide wire or whatnot while vacuuming, or if there was someone sitting in the backseat behind you, may have dislodged something with their foot.
Take a close look at both sides and compare them, you will find something different I am sure. You will find what's wrong!