PDA

View Full Version : Silly question ..... >.>

YAR1S
07-03-2013, 12:43 AM
I know I can probably search this but I havnt posted up a thread in a while....

my car is well over 125k and well ....

what major service is it in need of?

I'm assuming the dreaded timing chain....
perhaps a transmission/coolant flush as Ive never had it done.

I feel so bad for my yaris... I feel like I've neglected all it's service needs....

except I have been very good and given it full syn oil changes on schedule every 5k. :thumbup:

Thanks for not flaming at me....

cutie patuti
07-03-2013, 01:13 AM
replace oil,filters,spark plugs

Yaris T-Sport
07-03-2013, 01:24 AM
replace oil,filters,spark plugs

+1 replace trans/gear oil/ and coolant, maybe brake fluid and or pads if needed

DMZ
07-03-2013, 09:23 AM
The Yaris has a timing chain, not a belt like some other models. No need to change it.

Other than that, like others have stated, fluids, filters and plugs. That is about it.

The Yaris does not require much in the way of scheduled maintenance and most of it can be done by the owner.

BEEF
07-03-2013, 10:04 AM
Timing chains need to be replaced when they are worn. Usually you can hear if they are worn. There is a lot of clanking and what not. There is probably a schedule for that but I think our engines are non-interference motors anyway so if the chain lets loose, it won't hurt anything anyway (feel free to correct me as that would be good to know).

I know a guy that had a dodge dakota with 600,000+ miles on it with the original timing chain. He had a courier service.

RedRide
07-03-2013, 01:03 PM
As long as you change the oil regularly, the timing chain should basically last the life of the car.
A certain amount of play in the chain is normal for it to still be in spec.

The "1NZ-FE" is indeed a non-interference engine as are most of Toyota's engines. :smile:

esse10
07-03-2013, 02:33 PM
If you have 125k and never done any repairs you're doing goooood.

Tranny fluid and coolant flush sound about all you need to do for now and Have somebody check your ball joints,tie rod ends and shocks/struts to see if they need replacement. Do a front end alignment and sometimes those mechanics will inspect all your suspension and let you know what needs replacement. Have a brake shop inspect your brakes, especially the rear cause I believe those wear out faster on these front wheel drive cars. Good luck to ya :thumbsup:
I believe the timing chain is not due for replacement until 400-500k miles.

and if you're conscientious about getting stranded I would replace the serpintene belt and battery if they are already 3-4 years old.

RedRide
07-03-2013, 03:46 PM
Yes, I would definitely check/replace the serpentine belt if you haven't replaced it recently.

Although it wont cause any damage it it breaks, it will leave you "dead in the water" if it does .