PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Air Conditioning Filter

Politronics
07-07-2013, 09:23 PM
Hi all!

I just recently aquired a 2009 Yarus Hatchback. I was reading the book and noticed that it mentioned an air conditioning filter. It said something to the effect of "if equipped." On the next page it mentioned that if the filter was not installed it might cause problems with the system.

I checked and I do not have one installed. Do I need one? Why would it say "if equipped" and then say you need to have one?

I'm confused!

Thanks!

JP

BLH
07-08-2013, 06:16 AM
My 2007 didn't have the Cabin Air Filter installed from the factory. I installed one myself.
From what I have seen in threads here. With no filter installed. Foreign material can get into the system and plug up the drain for the condensing water. Causing water to drip on the floor and nasty gunk to grow in the unit.
Here is one of the threads on this as there are many. It refers to a 2012 but has nice photos to assist you in seeing if yours has one installed.
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37395&highlight=cabin+air+filter

I would install one if yours does not have it installed.

I just got a post card from my dealers service department and it mentioned a Cabin Air Filter. Basically said some models shipped with it but the recommendation is install one if yours didn't have one from the factory.

Politronics
07-08-2013, 06:37 PM
THANKS!!!!!

JP

RedRide
07-08-2013, 06:53 PM
BTW, do not get a cabin filter from your dealer, they will rape you for the price!
Get one on e-Bay, etc.

nookandcrannycar
07-09-2013, 03:23 AM
BTW, do not get a cabin filter from your dealer, they will rape you for the price!
Get one on e-Bay, etc.

LOL. I read the last paragraph of BLH's post and thought 'I've got to post essentially a 'No, don't do it' re those dealer cards', but you essentiually beat me to it.
Cards usually = a few cents under $50.00. That = squeezing the sizes of the lower glove box, taking the cover off the slot, pulling out old filter (if there is one), putting the new filter in, replacing cover, then snapping glovebox back into place = $30.00....not to mention the existing mark up on the filter. A dealer profit center that works well on people who are either: 1. 'Afraid of their cars' (not mechanically inclined at all), or 2. Can't be bothered/time more valuable that that/both time more valuable and can't be bothered. People who primarily fit #2 might not have any mechanical inclination as well.

nookandcrannycar
07-09-2013, 03:28 AM
Get one on e-Bay, etc.

LOL. I read the last paragraph of BLH's post and thought 'I've got to post essentially a 'No, don't do it' re those dealer cards, but you essentiually beat me to it.
Cards usually = a few cents under $50.00. That = squeezing the sizes of the lower glove box, taking the cover off the slot, pulling out old filter (if there is one), putting the new filter in, replacing cover, then snapping glovebox back into place = $30.00....not to mention the existing mark up on the filter. A dealer profit center that works well on people who are either: 1. 'Afraid of their cars' (not mechanically inclined at all), or 2. Can't be bothered/time more valuable that that/both time more valuable and can't be bothered. People who primarily fit #2 might not have any mechanical inclination as well. This is so simple, mechanical inclination is just about laughable re this DIY, but some people just want to leave some things to others.

nookandcrannycar
07-09-2013, 03:30 AM
^^^^^ Oops, accidently double posted :redface:.