PDA

View Full Version : 2008 UK 5 door Yaris 1.3 TR Steering wheel/pad.

JOHNVW
07-20-2013, 01:10 PM
Hi
Wonder if anyone can help ?
I am trying to remove the steering wheel on my 2008 UK RH drive Yaris TR and cannot see any torx screws under the wheel to undo to release the pad.
There is one hole underneath the horn symbol but no screw under it.
I am stumped !
Wonder if anyone can help?
Thanks John

CTScott
07-20-2013, 02:53 PM
Does it not have the two screws on the sides of the rear portion of the steering wheel?

JOHNVW
07-20-2013, 04:41 PM
Hi CT,
Unfortunately no it hasn't, there is only 1 hole and it is underneath where the horn symbol is on the rear portion of the steering wheel and there is no screw underneath it.
I have managed to prise the rear portion cover of the steering wheel back and there are no screws visible, but I can see a spring clip on either side under the airbag.
Could these be the holders for the airbag/steering pad ?.
Thank for reply and any help.
Cheers John

PS The car is a UK RH drive Yaris TR 1.3 2008.

CTScott
07-20-2013, 06:34 PM
Hi CT,
Unfortunately no it hasn't, there is only 1 hole and it is underneath where the horn symbol is on the rear portion of the steering wheel and there is no screw underneath it.
I have managed to prise the rear portion cover of the steering wheel back and there are no screws visible, but I can see a spring clip on either side under the airbag.
Could these be the holders for the airbag/steering pad ?.
Thank for reply and any help.
Cheers John

PS The car is a UK RH drive Yaris TR 1.3 2008.

It sounds like your is similar to this style, where there are 3 pins that are held in by spring clips.
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=44503&d=1321386603

JOHNVW
07-20-2013, 06:40 PM
Yes I would say you are right, are they easy to remove and replace ?

Cheers John

CTScott
07-20-2013, 08:58 PM
Yes I would say you are right, are they easy to remove and replace ?

Cheers John

On the 2012+ US ones that have this style, there is a small plastic trim piece on the side of the rear cover that pops off. That gives you the ability to see under the airbag and to reach in to release those clips.

JOHNVW
07-21-2013, 05:28 AM
There is no detachable trim piece on my cover, trust me to have the most awkward one !!!
I will have to pull the rear cover back and try to release the clips that way.
Cheers John

CTScott
07-21-2013, 06:36 AM
With the ones that don't have the side cover, but do have the hole on the edge of the pad, you are supposed in insert a tool into that hole to release the tab latch on that end. Once you do, you can lift the pad enough to get at the other latches.

JOHNVW
07-21-2013, 04:37 PM
Hi again CT,
Now you have explained the procedure I removed the airbag and wheel in 5 minutes and fitted the new clockspring.
Many thanks again for your advice.
Cheers John