PDA

View Full Version : I dont think this looks right?

Cudalopolous
07-21-2013, 05:00 PM
So while I was checking my brake pads I was curious to see why I was hearing a clicking/knocking noise when I do a sharp turn. I dont think my boot is suppose to look like this.
This is the front passenger boot right next to the caliper.

So correct me if my wrong but I dont think my boot is suppose to be like that. I think im going to have the whole cv joint replaced. Im not sure how much it will cost (here in ontario) but im going to have this repaired asap.

CTScott
07-21-2013, 05:06 PM
That is definitely a ripped boot and a gritted up joint.

Cudalopolous
07-21-2013, 05:22 PM
Yes definetly it is and no wonder I was hearing a strange noise when turning. Im wondering if I should replace the the whole cv joint all the way to the tranny what do you think?

Astroman
07-21-2013, 06:32 PM
It must have been split for some time if the clicking started. You'll need to replace the CV boot and joint. Better check your other CV boot while your at it. My drivers side one went at 95k miles, passenger side one is still good nearly 30k miles later but I do check it weekly. If you catch it early enough you just need to replace the boot.

Cudalopolous
07-21-2013, 06:49 PM
Yeah I think so too for the tear to be that big. I did check the drivers side and there was no tear at all. I will be checking it more often (both sides) when I get it fixed hopefully this week.

dragoonmc
07-21-2013, 08:21 PM
Yes do change the shaft it should not be that hard on that side but you will need to drain and fill the tranny to do it

Hard_Yaris
10-10-2013, 01:58 PM
not sure how long my CV boot has been Split but what are my best options for doing needed work while replacing the boot... Stabilizer link... ball joint,,, CV boot kit... CV shaft... grease... am i missing anything?

My car has about 180k.

CTScott
10-10-2013, 02:04 PM
not sure how long my CV boot has been Split but what are my best options for doing needed work while replacing the boot... Stabilizer link... ball joint,,, CV boot kit... CV shaft... grease... am i missing anything?

My car has about 180k.

AT Fluid or MT oil, depending on which tranny you have.

Check the wheel bearings before you get into it as well, as this would be the perfect time to do them if they are in need. You also are 3/4 of the way into removing your struts, so if they are due you can do them as well.