PDA

View Full Version : Any easy way to reset "tuning" to factory default?

Shinare
07-22-2013, 05:40 PM
I'm still trying to figure out why my car gets such poor gas mileage. Last tank was 27.6 average mpg 70/30 highway/city. I'm just trying to think of everything before I just give up and take it to the dealership. The next thing I'm going to try is putting in some synthetic oil. I have no idea what oil kind or spec is in there as it was done before I owned the car.

But, with that said, if that does not help, is there some way, in case someone before me has messed with the "tuning" of the car, to reset everything back to factory?

CTScott
07-22-2013, 06:03 PM
The only tuning that the prior owner could really do is to adjust the fuel trims by quality of gas used and driving style. Unplugging the battery for a couple of minutes will reset them.

There is a full reset of the ECM that can be done, but a TechStream tool is required to do so.

fnkngrv
07-22-2013, 06:37 PM
If you are not sure whether or not there is synth in the engine right now be sure that you run an engine flush first. You can get it from several different manufacturers.

caineroad
07-22-2013, 07:39 PM
A lot of people including myself have experimented with synth oil, it doesn't change the mpg.

What will change the mpg is
wheel and tire size, anything above 15" will decrease mpg
the quality of gas
dirty air filter, MAF sensor, TB and fuel injectors
colder weather
highway/city

I can tell you that if you want to achieve the impossible 40mpg, don't bother. They are usually hypermiling techniques.

32-35mpg is more realistic figures, but since you are doing 30% city, 27mpg is reasonable. This figure will get even worse in colder weather.

I am too averaging about the same as you.

You can try going to the dealership, they will offer the cleaning like I said above to you, which doesn't help a lot unless all of them are dirty

fnkngrv
07-22-2013, 10:38 PM
^ I find this line of thinking about the 40mpg interesting. I used to achieve it like clockwork and that is with the shitty gas here in Northern Maine. Even being boosted with no management and going into around 5psi of boost regularly I still net around 33/34 with mostly town driving. At the 80mph avg on the interstate I get the same and sometimes I do get around 35, I am pretty happy with 34 going that fast at that duration. I am always on the edge between vacuum and boost at that speed in 5th gear.

caineroad
07-22-2013, 10:39 PM
^ I find this line of thinking about the 40mpg interesting. I used to achieve it like clockwork and that is with the shitty gas here in Northern Maine. Even being boosted with no management and going into around 5psi of boost regularly I still net around 33/34 with mostly town driving. At the 80mph avg on the interstate I get the same and sometimes I do get around 35, I am pretty happy with 34 going that fast at that duration. I am always on the edge between vacuum and boost at that speed in 5th gear.

how many hp and torque it has now?

fnkngrv
07-22-2013, 11:02 PM
depends...I have 2 tunes I run. I have run both regularly in the past. One is 165/168 and the other is 190/190. Even when I did my speed runs last summer which I was sitting on 5800 rpm in all 5 gears for 13 runs (total of 18 miles) I still was hitting 29mpg. I am still trying to figure out how some turbo folks are getting the 38-42mpg the say they get.

MUSKOKA800
07-24-2013, 06:42 PM
I am still trying to figure out how some turbo folks are getting the 38-42mpg the say they get.

Imperial gallons perhaps???
In stock form my sedan got 47 mpg, all highway, running at 120 KPH (approx. 75 mph) on cruise control, AC on and car loaded full.
Will never see that number now with the Blitz.

Shinare
07-24-2013, 11:12 PM
In stock form my sedan got 47 mpg, all highway, running at 120 KPH (approx. 75 mph) on cruise control, AC on and car loaded full.

Just makes me sad that my yaris cant even brake 30MPG sometimes... I wish I could figure out what is so wrong with it.

Kaotic Lazagna
07-25-2013, 01:04 AM
Tire pressure
Alignment
Seafoam the engine
Change the spark plugs
Change oil

marcus
07-25-2013, 02:15 PM
did 46-47 mpg 90% hwy i believe i cant remember but car was full of camping stuff and a/c on the whole time.

caineroad
07-30-2013, 12:13 AM
did 46-47 mpg 90% hwy i believe i cant remember but car was full of camping stuff and a/c on the whole time.

how many kms per tank ?

47 is probably imperial mpg