PDA

View Full Version : Cracked Clearcoat.

nick1983
03-29-2007, 01:26 PM
Cracked Clearcoat. :thumbdown: Any suggestions? I hate winter. Luckily it is only on the very bottom of my front bumper.

forpinks
03-29-2007, 01:57 PM
theres 3 solutions on that...

1.Get a time machine and wipe on 6-10 coats of wax on it before winter arrives!
2.Call your local paint shop and re-paint it any color you desire...
3.Call your Toyota dealer and tell them you want a new Yaris body part that is the same color as your Yarii!

turboyaris
03-29-2007, 04:09 PM
next time don't play bumper cars :biggrin: haha if what i'm imagining your talking about is what you actually are talking about, usually this happens because a lot of the body parts esp. front and rear bumpers are made to flex more to absorb a small bump without being destroyed. Only problem is that it is very difficult to have a paint and esp a clear be able to flex as well so the paint and or clear starts to crack. you can do a couple things, you can try compounding it out, or you may have to pull off the front bumper and have it re cleared and when they do re clear it if they can ask the body shop to use the most flexible clear they have, they will know what you mean.

nick1983
03-29-2007, 04:26 PM
Thanks, I will try that when its warm, ha ha.

Spades
03-29-2007, 06:44 PM
ugh...keep in mind that the same spot will most likely crack out again because the eurethane bumper underneath the paint has obviously been stress flexed, meaning that it is now a weak spot, and will be prone to cracking again...it's a risky gamble considering most paint shops will charge you AT LEAST 200 bucks to fix it then clearcoat the bumper again...at least thats the price around here for that...

Razr
03-29-2007, 08:31 PM
it's a risky gamble considering most paint shops will charge you AT LEAST 200 bucks to fix it then clearcoat the bumper again...at least thats the price around here for that...

Whoa! I can get half a car panel beated and sprayed (by a Toyota dealer) for that much money! :eek: In fact, on my last car I got the rear bumper, trunk lid and front drivers door panel beated and resprayed for < USD$150..

Time to cancel my travel plans to the USA? :wink:

Spades
03-29-2007, 10:00 PM
yeah, unless you get a cheap-o paint job or know some friends, or do it yourself, the shops here will tell you 200 bucks per bumper...I know, I looked into it on my last car before I found a paint booth I could use (a 6 pack was worth the $130 savings).