PDA

View Full Version : Paper Thin Paint!!

redyaris
04-08-2007, 10:31 AM
I know the Yaris is cheap but holy crap is the factory paint thin!

I have MAJOR chips on my hood after 2 months of ownership.

This car is going to need repainting after a year of this.

Vervepipes
04-08-2007, 11:46 AM
try using a colour match wax, it should help hide it in the meantime.

BailOut
04-08-2007, 12:05 PM
The cheap paint job is my primary complaint with the Yaris. As I write this my 07 Blazing Blue Metallic LB sits in the garage with 3 sanded and painted spots on the hood, waiting until it can be clearcoated tomorrow morning, then wet sanded again, polished and waxed on Tuesday morning.

All because I can't go a week without getting a chip in the hood. I swear we'd all be better off if the hood was made from the same plastic that the front wrap is.

brickhardmeat
04-08-2007, 12:08 PM
Gosh I am surprised the paint is really that bad. Funny some complain terribly of this and a guy was saying yesterday over 20,000 miles and no chips, or scratches. Do you guys drive on rock roads or something?

brickhardmeat
04-08-2007, 12:12 PM
Really this seems to be a complaint for other new cars such as the VW Rabbits and such. Maybe it is just across the board.

churp
04-08-2007, 01:20 PM
I grew up in Nebraska with lots of gravel roads, and it never took long for the front edges of hoods to be pocked to the metal, and eventually the windshield would look like they were sand blasted...and it didn't matter who, what speed, or how carefull anyone was. I don't want to offend anyone, especially Bailout cause he has some great milage tips.....but if you do any drafting at all, no matter how clean the roads, the same will happen. Maybe I'm way off base and this isn't the problem...but it is something to pay attention to. :iono:

yuiedie
04-08-2007, 02:08 PM
rock chips are a fact of life, unless your car is a show car, there is no way around it. just use it as an excuse to get a new paint job or aftermarket bumper.

brickhardmeat
04-08-2007, 02:53 PM
I think yaris would look good primed all over, total "rat rod" look, red wheels and white walls.

jdubau55
04-08-2007, 05:51 PM
I think yaris would look good primed all over, total "rat rod" look, red wheels and white walls.

Im feeling that....

Blenjar
04-08-2007, 05:55 PM
rock chips are a fact of life, unless your car is a show car, there is no way around it. just use it as an excuse to get a new paint job or aftermarket bumper.

+1

-- Blen

jaspie
04-08-2007, 10:04 PM
I live in Australia......Brisbane AND Gold Coast ~

I really think it depends where you live.....cause my Yaris is on 10,000km and I haven't got any chips yet ~ Just alot of dirt and bird crap.....she's getting cleaned today ~

Over here....the only way to get chips is if you drive behind a truck carrying gravel.....and some of the small bits fly out ~ That's how my dad's windshield cracked ~

Jaspie ~

AustinYaris
04-08-2007, 10:42 PM
I have this problem too. Any ideas for a solution to this? I saw this hood visor on the forums here.. can't seem to find it anymore though.

What about an invisible protection bra? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYOTA-Yaris-2Dr-2007-Invisible-Paint-Protection-Bra_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ50457QQihZ001QQitem Z110110569381QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

jaspie
04-09-2007, 01:21 AM
I have this problem too. Any ideas for a solution to this? I saw this hood visor on the forums here.. can't seem to find it anymore though.

What about an invisible protection bra? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYOTA-Yaris-2Dr-2007-Invisible-Paint-Protection-Bra_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ50457QQihZ001QQitem Z110110569381QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I want that too but.....it's for a 2DR/3DR Yaris ~

I have a 5DR hatchback >_< ~

Jaspie ~

yrsdrgn
04-09-2007, 01:27 AM
I want that too but.....it's for a 2DR/3DR Yaris ~

I have a 5DR hatchback >_< ~

Jaspie ~

hehe it doesn't matter since the front of the car is basically the same. :thumbsup:

AustinYaris
04-09-2007, 02:36 AM
I found that hood visor -> http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4694

It may not appeal to everyone, but it'll definitely protect your hood and windshield.

Also... if it's just the hood.. if you're thinking of repainting it, replacing it with a carbon fiber hood might be a better option.

jaspie
04-09-2007, 03:29 AM
hehe it doesn't matter since the front of the car is basically the same. :thumbsup:

I found a 4DR one ~

Might plan on buying it because......I hate hail ~ It damaged my old car and luckily for insurance.....I got it fixed for only AU$350 ~

Hehe ~

Jaspie ~

AustinYaris
04-13-2007, 11:57 PM
Just bought a can of DupliColor Shield which is a temporary spray on bra. I'm planning to use it for any long trips. If this works, I think it'll will be a good cost-effective solution.

Most of the rock chips I get are from driving over 65mph on highways. And I only do that when I'm driving out of town. Within the city, I rarely go that fast. So I'll just spray it on when I go out of town, and wash it off when I get back.

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/shield.html

Bought it for $7 at AutoZone.

Blenjar
04-14-2007, 12:10 AM
That looks tight..
So its sort of like paiuting ur car but temporarily huh? sweet...
and u can wash it off (hopefully it wont rain/snow)

tight

-- Blen

AustinYaris
04-14-2007, 12:12 AM
That looks tight..
So its sort of like paiuting ur car but temporarily huh? sweet...
and u can wash it off (hopefully it wont rain/snow)

tight

-- Blen

Yup...

I'm gonna test it out on a road trip this weekend. Will report my findings here.

yrsdrgn
04-14-2007, 01:10 AM
Can't wait to hear about how that product does. I might just have to buy it since I drive on the freeway/highway more oven than usual now.

churp
04-14-2007, 01:35 PM
:confused: Why not invest in a spraygun (or at least get clear spraycans), sandpaper, etc. and occassionally......?????? Guess I'm to oldschool to rely on every new gadget lol. :evil:

brickhardmeat
04-14-2007, 02:46 PM
I have yet to see Yaris with one of those awful Black Pleather Sport Bras.:barf:

KSIbucky
04-14-2007, 05:49 PM
what you can do is put a big peice of card board or a big plow in front of you car that will take care of it

if you don't fallow cars close that wont happen

KSIbucky
04-14-2007, 05:59 PM
like this

dvlnblkdrs
05-23-2007, 09:52 PM
well iv had my car since sept.... i have 3 dents on my pass side due to stupid people and their effing doors.. and i have a few rock marks.. (somehow i got a rock that had fun on my rear bmpr.. like a 5 way skip..lol) good thing iv been planning on painting it anyway... hate this ugly silver... why cant toyota make green!!!

brickhardmeat
05-23-2007, 10:14 PM
Hey I must have missed the card board mod, I'd opt for a duct tape bra myself, especially on a silver model, it would meld nicely:smile:

If my front bumper gets fucked up I've already decided I'll prep it prime it and have the whole thing coated in tuff liner maybe the rear too, or cheap out and spray it flat black, easy to touch up

blacksan
05-23-2007, 10:43 PM
Camo!:drool:

Vervepipes
05-24-2007, 08:52 AM
:confused: Why not invest in a spraygun (or at least get clear spraycans), sandpaper, etc. and occassionally......?????? Guess I'm to oldschool to rely on every new gadget lol. :evil:

Not everybody has room for a compresser and a dust/wind free location available to spray thier own cars. At the base motor hobby club you can do body work but cant spray because of inadequate ventilation, so a temp like this washable stuff is a good solution if it works

niceyaris
05-25-2007, 07:48 AM
]I know the Yaris is cheap but holy crap is the factory paint thin!

I have MAJOR chips on my hood after 2 months of ownership.

This car is going to need repainting after a year of this.[/QUOTE]

I don't know where your car was painted, but mine is very fine after allmost a year of romanian roads which are very primitive... 'till now i have been showered with stones but my little baby is ok, except for the paint chiped by a overgrown panda...
The paint is relatively cheap and it should't put a great dent in your wallet.
Chears!

SamDaYarisMan
05-25-2007, 09:43 AM
+ 1 on the stone chips. 20,000 miles and 1 years later, i also have a couple on the hood of the car. I drive 75% of my miles on i-95 from jacksonville to orlando. Just curious if anyone knows if carbon fiber hoods are more durable?

ceres
05-25-2007, 10:02 AM
I've only got two large scratches near the windshield that I think I caused myself when removing ice from my car over the winter and a tiny dent on my driver side door that looks like it was my fault but I don't recall hitting anything while opening it at any point. Otherwise, it's fine. And there's some bad roads in my area. A lot of construction has been going on as well so there's a ton of dug up roads with loose stones everywhere. One of the worst sounds is hearing all of them hit the bottom of your car as your tires kick them up.

Black Yaris
05-25-2007, 12:28 PM
Just curious if anyone knows if carbon fiber hoods are more durable?

They are still clear coated, so no extra duribility, just when the clear is chipped away there will be CF underneath that will not rust.... so in a way it is more durable

Carvin'07
06-10-2007, 08:29 AM
Check this out...I actually drive about 16 kms per day (total) on gravel. This is after less than one year of owning the car... I will likely repaint with a rubberized undercoating so that this doesn't look so nasty.

deimos
07-10-2007, 09:35 AM
Don't know if it's been mentioned in other threads but has anybody tried ClearBra? I am definatly going to have this installed to both bumpers and possibly the hood as well.

http://www.clearbra.net/home2.html

Black Yaris
07-10-2007, 10:13 AM
I am going to the dealer tomorrow for a couple some mechanical complaints, so I am going to bring up the paint chipping to hell.... I just washed my car and there are like 20-30 chipps on there.... pisses me off... and they are all over the fenders and A pillars... week ass paint if you tell me

ECHOKnight2000
07-10-2007, 11:47 AM
^^I totally agree. I may not have a Yaris but my ECHO is just as bad or seems like it. Everytime I wash my car I see more and more dings or chips in my hood or bumper but mostly my hood. So I have to spot paint it but this is rediculous! So I now have little spots of touch up paint all over the hood, and that makes the car beautiful:rolleyes: :barf:

Yeah it pisses me off too. I can understand your pain, especially since your car is newer so thats even more a slap in the face.

orionnca
08-06-2007, 11:17 PM
I have had my 2007 Yaris for 14 months now. I have 26000 mostly-highway miles on it already and with it the expected rock chips. I have had to replace the windshield once already (chip turned into a four foot crack one frosty winter morning), and the new windshield got chipped again recently. I also have one door ding, and two bumper and rear fender scratches due to coworkers that must of failed the parking portion of their drivers exam.

But my complaint isn't with any of that. This is an good car with exceptional gas mileage (39-43 in the summer, 34-37 cold Michigan winters). It is just this darn, crappy, thin paint. I have never had or seen a car that has paint that scratches so easily. My girl friend purchase a Honda Fit two months after I purchased my Yaris, and the paint on it is immaculate. Ironically, that is about the only thing I like about the Fit, other than the cargo space in the back. It only gets 29-34 MPG.

I have scratches behind the door handle, apparently from my manly length finger nails. I have scratches on the hood, trunk and all along the passenger side that look like they may of gotten there from dust that was rubbed lightly. And on top of this, a week after I purchased the car, I noticed that there was a chip on the hood that the dealership poorly touched up. The dealership addressed it.

Has only else had this bad of luck with the paint? Have you had any luck with getting the dealership to address the issue?

OrionNCA

alhope34
08-21-2007, 01:19 AM
Done 47xxx kms with our yaris now, and the only paint chip I know of was caused by someone opening their door into our driver's door...while I was in the car!!

TLyttle
08-22-2007, 01:30 AM
Now THAT is a reason to get pissed off!!!

WolfWings
08-22-2007, 07:44 PM
I'll join in... three days of owning a Yaris, and already I have one ding in a door that chipped the paint, and two rock-chip spots on the hood. Admitedly, that's after just shy of 1000 miles (Yay for IT emergencies 120 miles away three days in a row!) and making a point of avoiding highways as much as possible so I could vary the engine-speed and load during the break-in period, but yeesh... at this rate I'll have a pre-sanded car by the end of next year. =O.o=

I do wish they offered the green colors on the Liftback more than anything else though, those are sexy-polite colors IMHO. So not only do we get paper-thin paint, we don't even get all the truly nifty color options. Bleah!

ECHOKnight2000
08-22-2007, 09:27 PM
I do wish they offered the green colors on the Liftback more than anything else though, those are sexy-polite colors IMHO. So not only do we get paper-thin paint, we don't even get all the truly nifty color options. Bleah!

Yeah I agree! I love green too! I heard that they will offer different colors for 08 maybe one or two I don't know. Hopefully green!

I think we should petition Toyota about the paint or file a big complaint. Maybe they won't skimp on it.

fnkngrv
08-22-2007, 10:59 PM
I just washed my S last night and I am very disappointed in the paint. My 96 Tercel was still fine when I sold it over the winter and that was with 120+ k miles and being a 96. I have had the Yaris now for about 14 months and I have several chips. I have been lucky that they are mostly on the face which is the plastic however for example I have a bad chip on the hood that looks like bug guts until you get up close and place your fingernail in the groove! That is Nuckin Futs! I mean really....I have even taken it to a detail shop and they were all, "taking a close look you might want to just do the detailing yourself" all because of how thin the paint even just looks on the car.

arcon
08-28-2007, 10:26 PM
Yeah I know what you guys feel, I just got the car for 5days now then saw pigeon poop removed it right away but there was stain already, I took it off right away but it still stained on my honda the bird poo doesnt even stained but for rock chips well I think thats gonna happen anyway especially driving 70-80mph : ) Ill probably get the Clearbra.

dadi_oh
08-29-2007, 01:03 PM
Anyone try one of these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYOTA-Yaris-4Dr-2007-Clear-Bra-for-your-Hood_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ50457QQihZ002QQite mZ120046871939QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

Applies to the whole hood, bumper, and mirrors. Just curious how the installation went, how it looks (or doesn't look ;-) and how durable it is.

steved
08-29-2007, 04:03 PM
Anyone try one of these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYOTA-Yaris-4Dr-2007-Clear-Bra-for-your-Hood_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ50457QQihZ002QQite mZ120046871939QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

Applies to the whole hood, bumper, and mirrors. Just curious how the installation went, how it looks (or doesn't look ;-) and how durable it is.

I was thinking about buying one for my 2dr yaris fron the same guy. Just that it does not look easy to install yourself.

For the durability I like to know also.

Ferret_san
09-01-2007, 12:11 AM
I know the Yaris is cheap but holy crap is the factory paint thin!

Funny you should mention that.. I recently test drove a Honda Jazz/Fit, Suzuki Swift and a few others in this 'supermini' segment, and I've gotta say the yaris had the best by far. (The Swift was the absolute worst.)

Guess you have to remember that in this segment, price is king and IMHO you'd expect corners to be cut in some places...

That said, if I find I'm not happy with mine when I pick it up, I'll be letting the dealer know in most simple to understand terms !

grampi
09-14-2007, 02:35 PM
I still say there's got to be something you can have a body shop spray on that looks better and lasts longer than the stick-on films.

fnkngrv
09-14-2007, 02:40 PM
perhaps buff the car with vegetable oil...anything will fly off....ok so maybe not practical, but that is what they say to do with your headlights...

grampi
09-14-2007, 04:41 PM
perhaps buff the car with vegetable oil...anything will fly off....ok so maybe not practical, but that is what they say to do with your headlights...

????????

pp.sweet
09-20-2007, 02:39 PM
what he said...use WHAT!!