PDA

View Full Version : Gear fault on a 2009 manual toyota yaris please help!

Gretch2689
03-06-2014, 01:30 PM
Hi I have a 2009 reg manual toyota yaris 1.3 TVVi-TR (?) with around 40 000 in mileage. It was perfectly fine to drive for the last 3 years that I have owned it until 2 days ago when I was struggling to put it into gear. It only goes to 1st and 3rd gear (and only when I push it hard) but not on any other gears at all. I had it checked by two different garages, both have said that its the gearbox that is the problem but could not determine specific fault unless it is opened up to identify the actual fault. I have read some articles and forums online how some drivers has experienced simillar things to their yaris particularly on cold weather although this has never happened to mine before? I'm wondering if anyone have a bit of an advice as to what this could be as I dont want to pay £400-800 for labour cost if it is a completely different fault. Toyota dealerships werent too helpful either plus they would charge me £45 just for inspection when other garages does it for free??!!. please help!

Thanks in advance

CTScott
03-06-2014, 01:41 PM
There are quite a few possible causes. Below is a list from the service manual. The only one than can be easily checked without tearing into the gearbox is the shifter cables. That is definitely where to start though.

1. Control cable (Faulty)
2. Shift fork (Worn)
3. Synchronizer ring ((Input shaft) Worn or damaged)
4. Synchronizer ring (Output shaft) (Worn or damaged)
5. Shift key spring (Input shaft) (damaged)
6. Shift key spring (Output shaft) (damaged)
7. Gear (Input shaft) (damaged)
8. Gear (Output shaft) (damaged)
9. Hub sleeve (Input shaft) (damaged)
10. Hub sleeve (Output shaft) (damaged)