04-15-2007, 09:57 AM
http://car.kak.net/Article841.html
do they sell the turbo kit separately?

OglyYaRiS
04-16-2007, 02:15 AM
I'm intrestead in knowing as well...

kwiken
04-16-2007, 05:38 AM
I have a Toyota Vios which is made only in Thailand.It came out in 2004 as a limited edition as is only 600 were made and only for the one year.It has the same mods to the engine and suspension as the Yaris.My Vios has wider tyres 16ins 7.0J205/45 R16.The mods all came from the European design for the Yaris although modified by Toyota Team Thailand and only claim 143 ponies@6400 and a max torque of196@4400 and only 8.1 0-100KPH.____I love this car and cannot fault it but would like someone to tell me how to get an extra 15-20 more hp without piggy backing,re mapping,or anything that has to do with putting it on a dyno.All I want is a safe/cool temp 160hp.At the moment the limiter kicks in at about 205 kph but feels like wanting to give more.Another problem is it is designed for min 95 oct fuel.In thailand they use a lot of Ethonal based Gasahol which claim 95 oct. but I am not sure if it can be used on a tubo(any ideas)

eTiMaGo
04-16-2007, 05:51 AM
Sawasdee! Very cool to see a Vios Turbo owner here, be ready for a lot of questions from everyone :wink:

The easiest way to extract extra horsepower out of a turbo is to raise the maximum boost. I am not sure what kind of boost controller is used with yours, but it is probably a fixed pressure one. There *may* be an adjustment screw or something, but it would be best for you to change for an aftermarket boost controller, as you can tweak the settings from the cabin, without needed to get under the hood each time.

We asked arto (TRD Thailand) about putting this turbo setup in my car, but they say this 143hp is the maximum safe power you can get out of it without strengthening internals. But, guys in the US have managed around 180hp with turbo (find the posts by the member turboyaris here), seemingly without problems, so it *should* be safe for you to raise that boost a little bit. Only one way to find out!

Sabina74
04-16-2007, 05:54 AM
In Italy Yaris Turbo is not allowed...
In all European Community it's not permitted to have...
I wanted to but it froma Swiss boy but i couldn't drive in Italy with it!!!!

kwiken
04-16-2007, 06:52 AM
Sawasdee! Very cool to see a Vios Turbo owner here, be ready for a lot of questions from everyone :wink:

The easiest way to extract extra horsepower out of a turbo is to raise the maximum boost. I am not sure what kind of boost controller is used with yours, but it is probably a fixed pressure one. There *may* be an adjustment screw or something, but it would be best for you to change for an aftermarket boost controller, as you can tweak the settings from the cabin, without needed to get under the hood each time.

We asked arto (TRD Thailand) about putting this turbo setup in my car, but they say this 143hp is the maximum safe power you can get out of it without strengthening internals. But, guys in the US have managed around 180hp with turbo (find the posts by the member turboyaris here), seemingly without problems, so it *should* be safe for you to raise that boost a little bit. Only one way to find out!
I could raise boost pressure but with the 10.5:1 comp ratio of the 1NZ-FE it would give me a lot of heat and gets into re mapping zones (I think).What I am after is a catback exhaust,cold air intake and similar mods that could possibly get more cold mixture in without extra boost.After all I am only after 15-20 hp.I am sure there are a lot of ways to gain 1 or 2 hp(lightening rotating masses etc.) until they add up to the desired h.p.without taking risks.This is a hot mostly humid part of the world and do not know of any local tuners that put reliability above peak performance.They can sure make fast machinery over here but I don't have as much faith as I would in a European or American/canadian tuner for reliability.Plus the breakdown in communication factor of speaking a foreign language has a lot to do with wanting to do most of the work myself .____I believe the first Yaris turbo with these specs came out of Switzerland but have not been able to find any sites that have any modifying techniques on them.Any ideas on Gasahol?

eTiMaGo
04-16-2007, 07:00 AM
I see what you mean, this climate is not always so good for engines, I have a friend with an RX-8, those rotary engines run hot normally, but over here, it's scary! I gather you are not Thai yourself?

Anyway, yes of course, a good intake and exhaust will contribute more power, I've seen lightened crank pulleys for the Vios.

As for gasohol I'm really not sure how bad or good it is, I know many people with performance cars are complaining, but I think we'll need information from more knowledgeable people about that :wink:

kwiken
04-16-2007, 07:15 AM
As you gathered I am not local but love driving quickly.All the local people at garages just tell me to suck the Gasahol and see.Any chance of pointing me to a local shop that has on the shelf mods from reputable companies for sale.

eTiMaGo
04-16-2007, 09:20 AM
If you're in Bangkok check out Autocar on Srinakarin road, right next to Seacon Square. They're a bit pricey but they have a lot of stuff under one roof, and the staff is helpful and knowledgeable.

Black Yaris
04-16-2007, 10:50 AM
In Italy Yaris Turbo is not allowed...
In all European Community it's not permitted to have...
I wanted to but it froma Swiss boy but i couldn't drive in Italy with it!!!!

No modding of Engines in Italy? That just seems Blaphomous, with all the high end Italian sports cars running around

Sabina74
04-16-2007, 10:56 AM
No modding of Engines in Italy? That just seems Blaphomous, with all the high end Italian sports cars running around

i agree!
but i think it's a matter of pollution....! this car has not the right engine comply with european community instructions.

Black Yaris
04-16-2007, 11:17 AM
I am sure there is a way to Turbo it, and keep it emmisions friendly... you just need to find the right shop

kwiken
04-16-2007, 12:03 PM
If you're in Bangkok check out Autocar on Srinakarin road, right next to Seacon Square. They're a bit pricey but they have a lot of stuff under one roof, and the staff is helpful and knowledgeable.

I'm in Ayuthaya but know Seacon Square well from Racing go-karts at the track in between the square and the golf driving range.Have'nt been in the area for 6yrs or so but am sure I can find it.Thanks for the help.____I seam to remember there being a dyno for the drifting guys on the entrance end to the track.

Katana
04-23-2007, 04:08 PM
You can find the Yaris Turbo only in Switcherland.

cleong
04-23-2007, 08:18 PM
TRD Thailand "only" puts out 143bhp on their Turbo Vios, probably because they have to sell the car with a warranty, whereas Turboyaris's car doesn't have that sort of implication. Similarly with Blitz's supercharger kit, the gain in HP isn't big because they have left the internals and the compression as stock.

You can maybe try NA-style mods such as doing a cold air intake, and a free-er exhaust pipe, better spark plugs, and maybe octane boosters for your fuel.

otech
05-14-2007, 03:31 PM
i got me one of those.. and its sick!

im from Sweden and there are about 40 of them here.

Vic-2NZFE
05-14-2007, 05:10 PM
i got me one of those.. and its sick!

im from Sweden and there are about 40 of them here.

Do you happen to have any pictures of your car BTW?

otech
05-16-2007, 12:29 PM
here u go...

Vic-2NZFE
05-16-2007, 12:31 PM
Beautiful car mate

Carvin'07
05-19-2007, 09:10 AM
Hi kwiken,

For background, I used to drive a 1992 '6 bolt' turbo AWD DSM - Eagle Talon/Mitsu Eclipse modified with boost controller, K&N filter, suspension, 264 degree cams, piggyback computer, 550cc injectors, Walbro 190lph pump etc, etc...

... how to get an extra 15-20 more hp without piggy backing,re mapping,or anything that has to do with putting it on a dyno.All I want is a safe/cool temp 160hp....

The best option in my opinion is to upgrade/install a bigger and more efficient intercooler and piping. A front mount intercooler is the best option if you have the room in your bumper opening. Be careful of the brand and the thickness of the core as it will make a dramatic difference in pressure drop (reduces the turbo pressure because of the extra volume required by the intercooler). This will make the intake charge more dense and thus more power. The turbo is the major contibutor to heat and thus robs power from your engine. The only drawback with the front mount intercooler is that you may need to install a higher CFM rated radiator and A/C fan. These are not too expensive and can dramatically improve the heat management of your engine bay.

Definitely a full exhaust from the turbo back is a good idea as well. The bigger and more free-flowing the better. For your desired power level, you might consider a 2.5" full exhaust. A free flowing catalytic converter as well would benefit you. You could port your exhaust manifold and all other cast exhaust pieces to be matched with the adjoining piece. This is easily done in your garage with a Dremel tool or air-powered die-grinder with a carbide bit. Sorry, I'm not sure if you have cast pieces on your vehicle -- I'm not familliar with that model.

... Another problem is it is designed for min 95 oct fuel.In thailand they use a lot of Ethonal based Gasahol which claim 95 oct. but I am not sure if it can be used on a tubo(any ideas)

Gasahol, although they claim higher octane, it does not have the same efficiency as normal gasoline. The BTU/volume is lower. Thus, it may be higher octane than other grades, but the ethanol in it effectively lowers the octane by a slight margin over their claimed level. When I used to do quarter mile runs, I would put in a full tank of 94 octane gasohol and it was only marginally better than the 91 octane non-ethanol (measured by knock sums on similar temperature days).

You may be able to gain much more extra power by upgrading your intercooler and piping (as few bends, or as gently bent as possible to ensure the speed of the intake charge is highest) than by anything else.

I hope that this helps,
Carvin' :smile:

RossP
05-20-2007, 02:16 AM
You can find the Yaris Turbo only in Switcherland.

And finland/swden