PDA

View Full Version : why do people hate rota's

sdmf
04-15-2007, 05:11 PM
so i was surfing the web and i see these supposibly jdm stuff that says, real friends dont let friends ride on rota's, i got a set of 15" rotas and i love them, they dont make wantanabe's/panasports anymore so i got the next best thing. im planning to get a pair of rota 17"s as well, maybe the real lites or the torques. i think they would be comparable to konigs since they also make knockoffs. so everybody whats your take on rota's?

ChinoCharles
04-15-2007, 05:18 PM
People don't like them because they're knock-offs, like you said. My take on it... rims are a wear good and uber-expensive rims belong on show cars and summer-only cruisers. If you want a better look for your daily driver, find the best balance of price and quality you can get your hands on. One thing is for sure... I laugh at the high school kid that curbs the Work wheels he worked and saved all summer to buy. That is just silly.

sdmf
04-15-2007, 05:21 PM
well i figured if they get messed up i wont be crying as much, plus more money for better rubber.

brickhardmeat
04-15-2007, 05:40 PM
My Rotas are on the way. I think they are great wheels and so do a whole lot of other people. There's just some snooty f*&ks that rag on stuff. Probably because they just couldn't bare to have anything except a "hot" brand item that is the going thing. I don't even see why these kinds of people would by a Yaris. The wheels look great and they do the job. The big expensive names rip off looks too. Rota support:thumbsup:

YarisGuy
04-15-2007, 05:58 PM
People don't like them because they're knock-offs, like you said. My take on it... rims are a wear good and uber-expensive rims belong on show cars and summer-only cruisers. If you want a better look for your daily driver, find the best balance of price and quality you can get your hands on. One thing is for sure... I laugh at the high school kid that curbs the Work wheels he worked and saved all summer to buy. That is just silly.

I agree with two thumbs up :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

PetersRedYaris
04-15-2007, 06:12 PM
I agree with Chino; Price dictated my wheel/tire package. Sure they're a little heavy, but if I curb one, blow a tire, or anything else, I can get another from tirerack.com quick and cheap.

redyaris
04-15-2007, 06:15 PM
im the king of cheap. I dont see putting 1K or more into rims for this car (or any car)!

ChinoCharles
04-15-2007, 08:40 PM
Of course, if you're a pimp like Thomas price bows to the sexiness of real JDM. :biggrin:

sdmf
04-16-2007, 11:04 AM
well i guess im going seadm hehehe (south east asian domestic market) pinoy ftw!

aeipee13
04-17-2007, 08:42 PM
Most of those kids are internet junkies. I just sold my GC8 impreza and got a yaris and it was the same with impreza crowd. I personally never got wheels on my impreza because I ran touge here in Los Angeles and nice wheels get jacked up. But with my yaris im throwing on some Rotas or Drag wheels which are a copy of the Work 03 and im not forking over 1600 for a set of Work wheels!

Nimble
04-17-2007, 09:11 PM
My Rotas are on the way. I think they are great wheels and so do a whole lot of other people. There's just some snooty f*&ks that rag on stuff. Probably because they just couldn't bare to have anything except a "hot" brand item that is the going thing. I don't even see why these kinds of people would by a Yaris. The wheels look great and they do the job. The big expensive names rip off looks too. Rota support:thumbsup:

+1

03Z33
04-18-2007, 01:31 AM
so i was surfing the web and i see these supposibly jdm stuff that says, real friends dont let friends ride on rota's, i got a set of 15" rotas and i love them, they dont make wantanabe's/panasports anymore so i got the next best thing. im planning to get a pair of rota 17"s as well, maybe the real lites or the torques. i think they would be comparable to konigs since they also make knockoffs. so everybody whats your take on rota's?

Because they copy other designs and make inferior wheels which are dangerous.

Both RS-Watanabe and Panasport are still in business and still make some of the best quality wheels available.

I had Rotas on a past car, two of the wheels cracked. I've owned over 40 sets of aftermarket wheels and have never had any others crack during street driving. Enkei, Rays, Work, Watanabe, OZ, BBS, AME, etc... all get my business because I know that they actually test their designs and use quality materials. They all have TUV, JAL and DOT stamps which are the safety tests that every OEM wheel manufacturer must adhere to prior to releasing a new wheel design. My life and safety are more important to me than a few $$ saved.

Kaotic Lazagna
04-18-2007, 02:02 AM
i personally like Rota (never owned a set, but still... =P )

tca4
04-18-2007, 05:45 AM

Both RS-Watanabe and Panasport are still in business and still make some of the best quality wheels available.

I had Rotas on a past car, two of the wheels cracked. I've owned over 40 sets of aftermarket wheels and have never had any others crack during street driving. Enkei, Rays, Work, Watanabe, OZ, BBS, AME, etc... all get my business because I know that they actually test their designs and use quality materials. They all have TUV, JAL and DOT stamps which are the safety tests that every OEM wheel manufacturer must adhere to prior to releasing a new wheel design. My life and safety are more important to me than a few $$ saved.

+1

sdmf
04-18-2007, 06:07 AM
i have seen rims crack, its all on how you drive and what happened. im pretty sure you hit a big pothole going fast, you will crack your rim. i know rota has been out for a long time and they are still in business, wouldnt that mean that they have at least some kind of quality to it?

mcdaddy
04-18-2007, 07:40 AM
a simple reason why other people hate rotas'..

because they are one hell of a nice rims in town & bang for buck. other manufacturer just can't take the nerves that they are overpricing the cost of rims per set yet not so nice designs & quality.

check out these website & find out why subaru owners loved rota.
http://subydude.com/osc/

brickhardmeat
04-18-2007, 06:50 PM

I had Rotas on a past car, two of the wheels cracked. I've owned over 40 sets of aftermarket wheels and have never had any others crack during street driving. Enkei, Rays, Work, Watanabe, OZ, BBS, AME, etc... all get my business because I know that they actually test their designs and use quality materials. They all have TUV, JAL and DOT stamps which are the safety tests that every OEM wheel manufacturer must adhere to prior to releasing a new wheel design. My life and safety are more important to me than a few $$ saved.:bs:

Moose
04-18-2007, 07:14 PM
Rota has TUV and DOT endorsement just as the expensive companies do.

I've had uber-expensive wheels before- I had the first set of Becketts east of the Mississippi- and no, not the FN01R-C's- the real thing. When it came time to buy wheels for my track car, though, I followed by budget and bought Rotas- I tracked the hell out of them for 3 years (auto-x, Road Atlanta track days, NASA, etc...about 10k miles of high speed, high g, high impact driving) without a single problem. As a matter of fact, I think I have broken everything on my track car except the wheels.

I have never seen any reason to buy $2K wheels again.

Although, my Becketts' stickers did add mad tyte ass-horsepower, y0!

forpinks
04-19-2007, 02:05 AM
I LIKE THESE STUFF!

Well I dropped a friend's J-SPLs (with no tires) over a 2nd story balcony and it wasn't even dented or scratched! :biggrin:

UNBELIEVABLE FOR $70 15"s... and c'mon alot of manufacturers order rims from them. the reason why there cheap is because labor in the Philippines is cheap, but Taiwan VOLK racings are cheaper.

Vic-2NZFE
04-19-2007, 09:35 AM
There are a lot of companies out there that offer good quality rims
and Rota of course is on of them, i say Rota's rock :thumbsup:

sdmf
04-19-2007, 12:21 PM
i support the philippines. pinoy ko ya! rotas make alot of oem rims as well, people just dont know that

nun73
04-19-2007, 06:50 PM

I agree with Charles, rota is not too bad if you use under the normally condition.Not for drift not for off road.

The rota is resonable between prices and quality.

I prefer rs-watanabe, but it's so expensive.

sdmf
04-20-2007, 04:33 AM
oh believe me, if i could i would get better rims but i have bills to pay and other money pits to attend to haha

03Z33
04-29-2007, 02:29 AM
rota = :barf: bakla

http://www.iloveracing.com/images/je103.jpg

yrsdrgn
04-29-2007, 02:32 AM
haha i like that t-shirt

sdmf
04-29-2007, 05:42 AM
tshirt = yota mo eh!

Ran Kizama
04-29-2007, 09:44 AM
I like how people laugh at "fake" wheels like Rotas. Anyone care to guess how Work wheels got started?

Nimble
04-29-2007, 10:03 AM
....or Konig....or Enkei

Moose
04-29-2007, 10:51 AM
I like how people laugh at "fake" wheels like Rotas. Anyone care to guess how Work wheels got started?

Exactly, not to mention that the Konig wheels that everyone covets so much here are made by the same company that produces Rota and half of the other aftermarket and OEM wheel companies out there.

People who say "they must be crap because they're so cheap" have no understanding of world economics. Goods produced in different countries with the same materials and manufacturing processes can vary widely in price because of labor rates, trade tariffs, shipping and customs costs and international trade agreements. Aaaaaaaaaaaand, what is to keep Work, Watanabe, Volk and other such companies from marking up their products 600% because they know some stupid kid in the U.S. will pay the price to be cool? Nike, Oakley and Abercrombie and Fitch phenomenons ring a bell?

Doh!

brickhardmeat
04-29-2007, 12:26 PM
Some people are just "special"

I love my Rota :moon:

tca4
04-29-2007, 03:37 PM
Work wheels im not sure if they are really that good of a quality of is it just the same as or a bit better than rota and konig but im pretty sure that Volk and Watanabe is worth of what their price is.

TheBird
04-29-2007, 04:05 PM
Two easy reasons:

1. They rip off companies designs
2. They fall apart at the track.

1. Mugen/Rays/Work put a lot of money into designing wheels, then rota comes along and copies them.

2. Two ties into one, Rays are generally forged wheels, rather than cast. They are lighter and stronger. Rotas are cast, and not cast very well. Normal road use may not cause a wheel failure; but anyone who has ever ran on a road course can attest, coming off gator strips can be bumpy! I wish I could find some pics, pretty knarly.

But that being said, Yarii are so light, I doubt you would have trouble with them on the road or Auto-Xing.

Ran Kizama
04-29-2007, 10:53 PM
Two easy reasons:

1. They rip off companies designs
2. They fall apart at the track.1. Most of the proclaimed "original" wheel companies today all got their start by copying designs of other companies. Rota is no different.

2. The only wheel from Rota that I've heard of falling apart what a bath of the Rota Attack wheels. I think there was somewhere around 30 sets of rims. Rota has since addressed the problem. :smile:

ScottKÖNIG
04-30-2007, 11:52 AM
Exactly, not to mention that the Konig wheels that everyone covets so much here are made by the same company that produces Rota and half of the other aftermarket and OEM wheel companies out there.

Unfortunately this is not true. We (konig) are the manufacture of KONIG, Maxxim, PRIVAT and Rolf Blix wheels. Our factory makes wheels for other companies. We do not make Rota wheels, nor does Rota make anything for us.

Konig used to be an importer of Rota years back but this is no longer.

I am not on here much so dont feel bad if I may not respond back right away. If you need me to check on here you can always PM me.

Hope this helps somewhat. Thanks for everyones support we really appreciate it.

Scott

Imagine
05-03-2007, 09:56 AM
I ran Rotas on my Civic, they were good wheels. The only downside I noticed was the fact that the finish wasn't overly durable. It's been a few years though, maybe they've improved since. I'd still consider getting another set in a heartbeat.

barebonedvitz
05-03-2007, 10:49 AM
i've rolled on my rota slips for 4 years now.. and those rims have done hard g's to cruising with the occasional potholes here and there for the past 400,xxx miles or so.. no complaints here (^_^)

ChinoCharles
05-03-2007, 10:49 AM
Did I read that right? 400,000 miles?

Imagine
05-03-2007, 10:53 AM
there for the past 400,xxx miles or so.. no complaints here (^_^)

You are a driving machine! Whats the car look like after 100,000 miles a year.:laugh: :thumbsup:

spkrman
05-03-2007, 11:56 AM
someone add in an extra 0?

rota is everywhere... statistically there HAS to be a bad apple out of every, say 10,000 rims :)

There is no better test than the guinea pigs that get stuff before you!

Nutzoids
05-03-2007, 01:07 PM
I love Rota's... anyone got a site that sells em real cheap?

:evil:

contraband831
05-03-2007, 02:37 PM
Rotas and sportmaxs wheels are great on a budget and i love there selection, but for the long run it is always best to spend a little more, but they are fairly good wheels, i have had a few sets but i do not keep them long.

sdmf
05-03-2007, 03:00 PM
racinglab.com has got them at a descent price

brickhardmeat
05-03-2007, 05:47 PM
http://www.jlbmotorsports.com/rims/rota-list.html

I got my JMAG from these guys. Best prices I have found. I think I'll get a second set from them but I love the JMAG so much I can't even picture another wheel on my car. Selection kinda limited but great deal if they have what you want. I also like those Group N too.

Ran Kizama
05-03-2007, 07:17 PM
Found another price competitor here: http://store.racinglab.com/index.html

brickhardmeat
05-03-2007, 07:23 PM
Found another price competitor here: http://store.racinglab.com/index.html

sdmf beat you to it, I shopped at both and went with the one I posted because they were offering free lug nuts at 550. shipped for JMAG

racinglab has great selection, jlb has better prices:thumbup:

well, I see racinglab is offering some freebies! prices still too high

Ran Kizama
05-03-2007, 07:24 PM
...oops. My bad. (^_^);

Imagine
05-03-2007, 11:29 PM
There is a company on ebay that sells Rota's fairly cheap. Maybe worth looking into.

barebonedvitz
05-04-2007, 01:39 AM
Did I read that right? 400,000 miles?

yup! LoL.. it's a car whore.. been thru 3 of my cars so far.2 years on my 91 prelude, then placed em on my civic hatch.. and now they're on the yaris since i bought it

barebonedvitz
05-04-2007, 01:50 AM
You are a driving machine! Whats the car look like after 100,000 miles a year.:laugh: :thumbsup:

LoLz i guess so:laugh: .. u should see my bro's 95 tacoma.. it already hit 1mill and still runnin on it's original tranny. He's the real driving machine in my family! :tongue: Our family business is a courier service.. so ya dude, i drive for a living! i'LL let u guys know when i hit 100K this year. Sometimes i wondered why i even wandered into hondas :iono: and the rota's are lookin to their 500K this year.. *knock on wood*:bonk:

sdmf
05-04-2007, 02:43 AM
LoLz i guess so:laugh: .. u should see my bro's 95 tacoma.. it already hit 1mill and still runnin on it's original tranny. He's the real driving machine in my family! :tongue: Our family business is a courier service.. so ya dude, i drive for a living! i'LL let u guys know when i hit 100K this year. Sometimes i wondered why i even wandered into hondas :iono:

if he did hit 1mil, tell him to call toyota, and you might get another car for free, thats what this one guy did with his saab and saab gave him a free car. i was looking at the rota website and they got alot of different wheels available, im so hoping for the rota real lite's to come out.
http://www.rotawheels.com/reallite.php

Imagine
05-04-2007, 09:05 AM
Wow you guys don't mess around putting miles on stuff.:eyebulge: