PDA

View Full Version : Offset and lowering on 205/45/16s

driver centric
04-21-2007, 05:08 AM
OK, I've been searching on here all night and haven't come to a conclusive answer. I'm looking to get a set of 16x7" wheels for my new LB. I'm settled on 205/45/16 size tires. The wheels I'm looking at come in a +38 offset.

If I lower the car with Tanabe DFs, what are the chances I'll have problems with rubbing with this combination? I know the overall height of the wheel and tire will be slightly smaller than stock, but I'm worried about the offset being too low and causing rubbing on the inside of the fender, especially if I had passengers in the back of the car.

Would I be better off with NFs? How about choosing a wheel with a higher (+42) offset? Any advice appreciated.

eTiMaGo
04-21-2007, 06:53 AM
38 should be fine, I have 215 tires at that offset, perfect fit.

03Z33
04-21-2007, 09:41 AM
The offset is fine. I run the same tire size, but with the DF's the car will not sit low enough and you will have a big gap between the fender and the tire (almost like stock). You might consider 205/50/16 if you want the lowered look without the wheel gap.

driver centric
04-21-2007, 12:10 PM
Thanks so much for the input guys!

The offset is fine. I run the same tire size, but with the DF's the car will not sit low enough and you will have a big gap between the fender and the tire (almost like stock). You might consider 205/50/16 if you want the lowered look without the wheel gap.

I was considering 205/50/16s but I've read posts by another user (can't recall his username at the moment) running this size tire on the same size wheel with lowering springs and he said he's experienced slight rubbing. His offset is +40 I believe though. His car does look great with the setup but I'd rather not run the risk.

nun73
04-21-2007, 06:30 PM
OK, I've been searching on here all night and haven't come to a conclusive answer. I'm looking to get a set of 16x7" wheels for my new LB. I'm settled on 205/45/16 size tires. The wheels I'm looking at come in a +38 offset.

If I lower the car with Tanabe DFs, what are the chances I'll have problems with rubbing with this combination? I know the overall height of the wheel and tire will be slightly smaller than stock, but I'm worried about the offset being too low and causing rubbing on the inside of the fender, especially if I had passengers in the back of the car.

Would I be better off with NFs? How about choosing a wheel with a higher (+42) offset? Any advice appreciated.

+38 offset is popular for front wheel drive vihicle and yaris also,
For tanabe DF is defensive feeling and lower than NF normall feeling approx 0.5 inch.
Usually, NF is sound good for 16" rims and DF proper with 15" rims.
For me, i prefer NF but according to personal fondness. :burnrubber:

largeorangefont
04-21-2007, 11:09 PM
Go for 205/50/16s. You will have less wheel gap and the car will look lower.
I have 16X7 +40mm with 205/50/16s

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a386/largeorangefont/IMG_0376.jpg?t=1177211069
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a386/largeorangefont/IMG_0378.jpg?t=1177211102
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a386/largeorangefont/IMG_0375.jpg?t=1177211130

Black Yaris
04-21-2007, 11:13 PM
Thanks so much for the input guys!

I was considering 205/50/16s but I've read posts by another user (can't recall his username at the moment) running this size tire on the same size wheel with lowering springs and he said he's experienced slight rubbing. His offset is +40 I believe though. His car does look great with the setup but I'd rather not run the risk.

205/50's are the way to go, should be fine with the +38, my 225 barely clear with a +38

driver centric
04-22-2007, 12:00 PM
Go for 205/50/16s. You will have less wheel gap and the car will look lower.
I have 16X7 +40mm with 205/50/16s

I love your stance, but haven't you noticed some rubbing? I already ordered my wheels and tires with 205/45/16s, so I'm gonna be riding on those for a while. I'm going to be lowering on DF210s so I wanted to give myself some extra room to play with. If it looks like I have good clearance I may go up to 50 series tires after the 45s wear out, but hopefully that won't be for a while. Thanks again for the advice guys!

largeorangefont
04-22-2007, 05:55 PM
I love your stance, but haven't you noticed some rubbing? I already ordered my wheels and tires with 205/45/16s, so I'm gonna be riding on those for a while. I'm going to be lowering on DF210s so I wanted to give myself some extra room to play with. If it looks like I have good clearance I may go up to 50 series tires after the 45s wear out, but hopefully that won't be for a while. Thanks again for the advice guys!

Yes, very slightly on the outside of the inner fenderliner where the bumper meets the fender. Minor cutting should fix it. +38 would yeild a bit more rubbing but sould be fixed with minor cutting as well.

driver centric
04-22-2007, 06:50 PM
The wheels I ended up getting are the same offset as yours, +40. Hopefully with 45 series tires, I shouldn't have any rubbing issues. I wouldn't want to have to cut the fender lining if I don't have to. I'll keep you guys posted when everything comes in and I get it all installed. Thanks again for the input!

largeorangefont
04-23-2007, 12:43 AM
The wheels I ended up getting are the same offset as yours, +40. Hopefully with 45 series tires, I shouldn't have any rubbing issues. I wouldn't want to have to cut the fender lining if I don't have to. I'll keep you guys posted when everything comes in and I get it all installed. Thanks again for the input!

You probably wont have any issue with 45 series tires.

driver centric
04-23-2007, 01:19 AM
That's what I'm hoping!

nurburgring
04-23-2007, 10:51 AM
I run 195/50R16s +45s . The rear look like the can do with 5 mm less offset. Currently no rub whatsoever. The NFs are soft, so with a full load, the wheel does go right into the fenders without issue. WIth my current offset, my front tyres are flush with the fenders. I would think +38s will stick out.

If u prefer comfort, the NFs provide an almost stock ride. But it wont corner like TRDs or DFs.

http://www.pbase.com/marcwang/image/76950487.jpg

driver centric
04-23-2007, 03:55 PM
Very nice setup nurburgring, I actually looked into that size tire but choices were very limited.

brickhardmeat
04-23-2007, 07:11 PM

almost stock? no way.

we're talking 24.1 to 23.3 diameter, from a 4 inch side wall to a 3.6, ok this is less than half an inch, notable but that is not back to stock, that gap was major

that would be the difference from 205/50/16 to 205/45/16

just sayin'

driver centric
04-23-2007, 10:05 PM
Yeah I seriously doubt the wheel gap will be anywhere near stock, especially on DF210s. Here is 501's LB on DF210s and 205/40/16s for reference.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h245/501evol/pics2015.jpg

Obviously the sidewall on his tires is shorter than the 45s I ordered and I think his stance is pretty nice. He said the front is so high because the installer didn't cut the bumpstops for his TRD shocks. After that was done, he said the drop looked much better. I'll be doing the install myself so I'll be making sure the bumpstops are cut the first go-round :biggrin:

Basically, I'm willing to give up a little of the sidewall and "filled-out" appearance bigger tires create to be sure I'm not going to have any rubbing.

brickhardmeat
04-23-2007, 10:15 PM
I think it will be a healthy looking drop. I am up in the air on my second set of wheels if I will go 205/55/15 or not. No rush to decide right now anyway I still don't have this set mounted.

However, I do not buy into the whole -cutting your bump stops will lower the car anymore. :confused:

driver centric
04-23-2007, 10:23 PM
I think it will be a healthy looking drop. I am up in the air on my second set of wheels if I will go 205/55/15 or not. No rush to decide right now anyway I still don't have this set mounted.

However, I do not buy into the whole -cutting your bump stops will lower the car anymore. :confused:

Well 501 had TRD struts put on his LB, aren't they shorter than the stock pieces? And obviously, they weren't meant to be used with DFs, which are lower than the TRD springs. So I guess it makes sense to me. Why else would the front of his car be sitting up so high? He said it evened out after the bumpstops were cut...:iono:

Drop pic of DF210s from Tanabe's Web site for reference:

http://www.tanabe-usa.com/suspension/files/471_img1.jpg

The front looks pretty even with the back to me...

nurburgring
04-24-2007, 12:02 AM
Very nice setup nurburgring, I actually looked into that size tire but choices were very limited.

Choices are limited, but you do get some very good tyres like Dunlop SP MAXX and Continental Sports Contact 2 . The Dunlops grip like crazy wet or dry, and are as quiet as normal comfort tyres.

largeorangefont
04-24-2007, 12:06 AM
Well 501 had TRD struts put on his LB, aren't they shorter than the stock pieces? And obviously, they weren't meant to be used with DFs, which are lower than the TRD springs. So I guess it makes sense to me. Why else would the front of his car be sitting up so high? He said it evened out after the bumpstops were cut...:iono:

Drop pic of DF210s from Tanabe's Web site for reference:

The front looks pretty even with the back to me...

No the TRD struts are not any shorter. Cutting the bumpstops or not has no bearing on the ride height. The springs just settled, that is why it got a bit lower.

Mine is actually almost a 1\2 inch lower than the pics above now that the springs have settled.

driver centric
04-24-2007, 12:14 AM
Interesting, here is his post from one of the threads discussing bump stops. He seemed to have noticed a difference immediately after they were cut.

when i had my set up(df210-trd struts)installed they had forgot to cut the bumpstops. when the car was set down the front was still at stock hieght, which i could tell that the strut was sitting only on the bumpstop. i had to drive for a week like this, the ride was harsh up front and the car wanted to skip around in turns if pushed at all. after the bumpstops were cut the front end dropped into its travel and the ride was night and day better. now the car does not bottom out every where like before.

But I guess it doesn't matter anyway because I'm keeping the stock struts for now until we get some more aftermarket options. And I'll be cutting the bump stops per the DIY available on the site.

Haad Sheikh
08-13-2016, 07:19 AM
Man are you using lowering springs at that time?
I'm looking for 16s for my yaris and I don't want to lower it. At least not now. My main goal is to finish that fucking wheel gap and giving a proper look to my car at the same time.

WeeYari
08-13-2016, 10:09 AM
Wow, necro after over 9 years. Good luck in getting response to your question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk