PDA

View Full Version : Decided to upgrade stereo

JaiTomato
05-24-2006, 06:10 AM
Ok so I bought and Yaris and stereo needed to be upgraded. I just sold my 2000 Ford Focus ZX3 which had 170,000 miles but I kept its Alpine headunit and subwoofer box which will go into the Yaris.
Following are pictures of progress:
front door speakers which are riveted on
head unit

JaiTomato
05-24-2006, 06:23 AM
Here is a picture with all the panels off and a trial placement of the Alpine headunit. The closest trim kit I could find is from Metra for the Echo/Celica. I also needed an antenna adapter.

fearturtle44
05-24-2006, 07:51 AM
Pretty cool! I was wondering how difficult it would be to replace the HU seeing that the current faceplate is huge. I don't mind the stock system but might upgrade when I get more $$. Let us know how long it took you to install once you have everything done.

Kevin

punch
05-24-2006, 07:54 AM
Umm in the future your to drill out rivets, not pry at them!!!

can't wait to see the finished install..

JaiTomato
05-24-2006, 08:13 AM
Umm in the future your to drill out rivets, not pry at them!!!

can't wait to see the finished install..

Ya...thanks....LOL......I'll do that on the two remaining rivets and those on the right door. I didn't mind tearing out the junky looking speakers.

TC-LIFTBACK
05-24-2006, 10:22 AM
Good work, thanks for the pics. New speakers for the Yaris.

Gonna swap out my aftermarket stuff from my Maxima.

spacemanoeuvres
05-24-2006, 06:23 PM
Great pics!

I was curious as to how difficult it would be to replace the speaks/head unit. Judging from the pics it doesn't look to hard, for a newb like myself, aside from drilling out the rivets.

Be sure to post pics of the new speaks when you get a chance.

silverRS
05-24-2006, 08:01 PM
cool, but don't you need those plastic speaker frames to hold your new speakers to the door?? looks like ya snaped one.? and do you have to buy that antena adapter cable for every aftermarket deck?

JaiTomato
05-24-2006, 08:37 PM
cool, but don't you need those plastic speaker frames to hold your new speakers to the door?? looks like ya snaped one.? and do you have to buy that antena adapter cable for every aftermarket deck?

The cone is integrated (glued) onto the plastik speaker frame so the whole thing comes out. It needs a new speaker bracket though. A 6.5" speaker just goes right through the hole. So...I ordered the new speakers from Crutchfield but the website indicated that "we have not researched your vehicle yet." So I had to call and make sure they included a bracket. Their part number is 142sat6.

plushDJ
05-25-2006, 07:42 AM
thanks for posting the exact kit you used for the deck :smile:

JaiTomato
05-27-2006, 02:53 PM
Following is the bracket screwed on. I forgot to take a picture of the speaker on before placing back the door panels. (a passing rainstorm rushed me) Anyways, the Alpine head unit is on.
Next project is to connect the subwoofer.

Sp33dY
05-28-2006, 06:10 PM
Looks great ;)

echo_hrs
05-28-2006, 07:12 PM
I guess the sedan needs an antenna adapter....On my hatchback, the antenna plugged directly into my Clarion deck with no extra adapter necessary...

Cheers

JaiTomato
05-30-2006, 09:03 PM
I finished hooking up the subwoofer box. I ran the amp power wire through a hole in the firewall in the passenger side just under the floormat. Then ran the wires under the right moldings towards the back into the area behind the backseat. I still have plenty of room in the trunk.

Sp33dY
05-30-2006, 10:52 PM
Are they 10s or 12s" Polk Audios? You have a sedan, right?

Are you getting any engine noise by running the rcas and power wirre so clsoe together, down the same side?

JaiTomato
05-31-2006, 02:43 AM
There's no noticeable noise at all.

mygrnthmb
05-31-2006, 05:17 AM
Jai You da man!! Thanks for the pics and info. I've done business with Crutchfield in the past and found them to be really helpful. I'll bet they would like to see your pics as part of thier research for the Yaris.

punch
06-04-2006, 07:37 PM
Have you done the rear sedan speakers yet? are they a simple 6x9 swap, are brackets needed thanks

stocking up on parts now...

Bones
06-04-2006, 08:03 PM
Rear 6X9s are straight forward. After taking off the rear deck, four 10mm bolts hold each factory speaker. You'll have to drill your own bolt holes, the factory speaker bolt pattern are wider. Depth is not an issue at all.

JaiTomato
06-04-2006, 08:43 PM
[QUOTE=Sp33dY]Are they 10s or 12s" Polk Audios? You have a sedan, right?

This is where the parts came from
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/359220
I'm gonna miss the Focus :cry:

punch
06-05-2006, 07:15 AM
thanks guys!!!

punch
06-05-2006, 08:02 AM
couple more questions, the echo kit, how satisfied are you with the fit?? and gaps, any closer pictures of the unit installed??

did you also buy a wiring adaptor?? if so which one, thanks

punch
06-07-2006, 07:33 AM
Here is a picture with all the panels off and a trial placement of the Alpine headunit. The closest trim kit I could find is from Metra for the Echo/Celica. I also needed an antenna adapter.

in the first pic, any ideas what that large cut-out in the grey plastic(cirle)next to your radio would be for?? maybe for the start button the UK version get??

yarislover
06-14-2006, 04:45 AM
couple more questions, the echo kit, how satisfied are you with the fit?? and gaps, any closer pictures of the unit installed??

did you also buy a wiring adaptor?? if so which one, thanks

I used the same kit in my 07 liftback and only used about 25% of the mounting hardware. I had to use the original and the trim kit mounts together not easy but the finish looks great. Do you or anyone know the exact speaker size front and back?

bnorrish
06-15-2006, 12:01 PM
According to Crutchfield, the front speakers are 5 1/4 and ther backs are 6 x 9.

Also, www.scosche.com says they are working on a Yaris install kit but they do not have an ETA.

JaiTomatos fit looks great so it may make sense to go that route instead of waiting.

JaiTomato
06-16-2006, 11:31 AM
Sorry guys. I haven't been able to keep up with your questions.
1) I had to trim a little bit of material from the rear of the echo trim kit so it can fit. Otherwise, it covers the vacant spaces perfectly.
2) I got one of the wiring harnesses (for Toyota). There is supposed to be an Alpine wiring to match the Toyota harness, but I couldn't find it so I just ended up soddering the wires together.
3) The front speakers are 6 1/2. Even though..you still need to get a speaker bracket/adapter as shown in the previous photos.
4) The rear seems to be bigger than 6x9's. So drilling and adapters are needed. This I'll do later when funds are available.
4) The subs are Polk 10" and their thump thump is loud enough for me. I have it set only at setting one at the head unit. With the box in, I can still put in one large luggage or two smaller ones snuggly. One guitar can fit also.

Alexandre2k3
07-03-2006, 01:30 AM
Sup all, Just put in a pair of alpine type s in my white HB, it was easy and I didn't need any speaker adapters. I just gutted the inside of the stock ones and used the top of the stock speaker to mount new ones on, just used small screws and screwed them on to top.

fnkngrv
07-06-2006, 01:50 PM
Do you recall the depth on the 6.5"'s? What model are they?

whitehotmr2
07-07-2006, 04:45 PM
Can you tell me if you also used the radio Harness kit for your deck or did you splice into the wires? If so do you have a wiring diagram?

punch
07-07-2006, 09:10 PM
Can you tell me if you also used the radio Harness kit for your deck or did you splice into the wires? If so do you have a wiring diagram?

just buy a wire harness, easy to go back to stock down the road...i bought mine of ebay for $7.00

Bones
07-07-2006, 10:44 PM
***Big Plug***
Radio 12Volts = Blue
Radio Ground = White/Black
Radio Ignition = Gray
Radio Illumination = Green
Left Front Speaker = Pink (+), Purple (-)
Right Front Speaker = Gray (+), Yellow (-)
***Small Plug***
Left Rear Speaker = Black (+), Yellow (-)
Right Rear Speaker = Red (+), White (-)

Make sure you check all wires with a meter.

JaiTomato
07-09-2006, 07:10 AM
Here's the diagram I used http://installdr.com/Harnesses/Toyota-Wiring.pdf

IZAMUPR
07-17-2006, 09:22 PM
ppl, i am new here, i just have 1 moth w my Sedan yaris,
i have an question , i am seeing all bout the center console( great stuff) and the doors spk, but what about the rear spk, they come w speaker bracket integrated,w/ the spk, plz post some pics, and instrucions to how, upgrade this part. thx and I LOVE MY YARIS.

fnkngrv
07-17-2006, 09:27 PM
I have a hard copy of how to install the rear speakers and the front...I am going to scan them in at work tomorrow and then figure out a way to place them here...can someone host the doc for us if I email it?

ChinoCharles
07-18-2006, 02:18 PM
Yeah, I can host it. Just e-mail it to me. charlesluzar@hotmail.com

I'll put it up when I get home from work tonight if its in my box at http://www.luxlightandland.com/yarisworld.

fnkngrv
07-18-2006, 02:28 PM
I woke up late this morning and was not able to pack the docs...I am sorry...I will have to see about taking care of it tomorrow...I am having driver issues with my scanner at home.

fnkngrv
07-19-2006, 01:17 PM
I have just emailed the docs to Chino....it has a lot more than just the speaker stuff too....it might not be what you are truly looking for, but hopefully it helps ya.

ChinoCharles
07-19-2006, 01:45 PM
Just uploaded the file... it is in TIF format just so you know.

http://www.luxlightandland.com/yarisworld/PERFORMANCE.tif

ChinoCharles
07-19-2006, 02:15 PM
A side note... I have Windows XP and when I went to open this file it wanted to use Adobe Photoshop to do so, but when I did it was one page and the dimensions where all whacked out. If you right click on the file and go to Open with > Windows Picture and Fax Viewer you will be able to view all 14 pages of this file. By the looks of things, I had better get nice and drunk before trying to install new rear speakers. Jesus. :cry:

Violin
07-20-2006, 07:25 AM
When I changed the speakers in my hatchback, I used the frame of the stock speakers as a mounting bracket like Alexandre2k3 did.

The front was pretty simple – I just used longer screws to attach the new speakers into the old speaker housing (after gutting it). I had to break off the edge of the plastic rim all around for the 6½” speaker to fit inside.

The rear was a little trickier. I put 5¼” speaker in but the stock speakers were a little larger – maybe 5½” or 5¾” so the new speakers slid through the opening. I just used the mounting bracket that came with the MB Quarts and glued it upside down on the stock bracket using construction adhesive. Then I attached the new speaker to the bracket using screws.

I also put Dynamat Xtreme inside the door panels and the hatchback lid and some closed cell foam over the rear wheel wells. It really cut down road noise and eliminated that cheap sounding *ting* when closing the doors.

[MB Quart RCE-216's up front and RCE-213's in the back]

fnkngrv
07-20-2006, 08:21 AM
Well unfortunately for some people the docs that I had to post I believe were only associated with the Sedan.

MacMaster761
07-27-2006, 08:46 AM
speaker sizes???
how did you open up your dash like that, just curious?
how do you mount the speakers back on after you drill out the rivets?
did you need to buy another faceplate? how much and where did you get it?
is that enough questions?
thanks

fnkngrv
08-03-2006, 01:57 PM
Yeah...I really need to know what the max depth would be that we can accept in the doors before I order mine. I am ready as soon as I have some good solid info.

hasher22
08-04-2006, 03:58 AM
Hey i come from australia.......

just wondering where did you get those black plastic speaker mounts?? i need some for my rear speakers. Though the rear speakers is smaller than the front.

can anyone tell me where to get some for the back speakers?

I have a 2006 Yaris Hatch 3 door.

fnkngrv
08-04-2006, 09:12 AM
Try Crutchfield.com

seriousfun
08-04-2006, 11:04 AM
Here's that .tif as a PDF.

MacMaster761
08-15-2006, 09:45 PM
hey guys, are all aftermarket headunits the same size if they are single din? Will a pioneer headunit work the same way?

what is the antenna thing for?? i found a 40-vw21 on circuit city.com, will that adapter work the same?

bigsky2
08-15-2006, 11:03 PM
Yes all aftermarket HU are the same size if they are single din (1 DIN).

Just make absolutely sure your Pioneer is not the 1 1/2 DIN size which is for GM and Chrysler models.

Jem_hadar
08-17-2006, 10:05 AM
I still have plenty of room in the trunk.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=490&stc=1&d=1149037517

*jeaouls*

Look at all that truck space! :frown: I wish our Hatchs had more truck space... in particular, I really think the amount of hatch space in the VW Rabbit is fucking PERFECT.

Or the depth (how low the floor is) of the Fit's hatch space (bc they moved the fuel tank location under the vehicle) is bloody great too.

Man do I ever wish my Hatch had space like that in the rear! :thumbsup: Nice set up, nice box, and yes, lots of space to spar! The best of ALL words man.

Jem

EDIT:

I cant get over how gorgeous/nice/beautiful your fucking subbox is! Its wonderful! If I ever decide to put in some subs, thats what I'd want my box to look like.

Where'd you get it? Purchase? Custom?

JaiTomato
08-19-2006, 10:21 AM
*jeaouls*

I cant get over how gorgeous/nice/beautiful your fucking subbox is! Its wonderful! If I ever decide to put in some subs, thats what I'd want my box to look like.

Where'd you get it? Purchase? Custom?

I got the subbox from Crutchfield years ago when I put it together for my old Focus ZX3 hatch. It was a Q-Logic Dual 10" Hatch/Trunk Box.

Wow after seeing pictures on this forum..the Yaris' liftback's trunk space is really small compared to the sedan's. Once in a while I do need the space to load lots of stuff. As I described in a previous post, there are still lots of room left beside the subbox.