PDA

View Full Version : Chrome, or Powdercoat your steelies?

blacksan
05-03-2007, 10:12 AM
Has anyone done this yet? What would it cost to chrome, or powdercoat?

spkrman
05-03-2007, 10:26 AM
im sure thousands have done it, but probably not on these boards.

google would tell ya!

blacksan
05-03-2007, 10:30 AM
I think the chrome steelies would be nice. Heck, even the powdercoat would be pretty cool in the right color (IMO).

ChinoCharles
05-03-2007, 10:41 AM
Powdercoating around the corner from me for the layman that walks through the door is 50 bucks per wheel. You could also buy a kit and DIY.

blacksan
05-03-2007, 10:45 AM
I would rather have a pro do the job. If you have a chance could you ask your shop if additional protective coat is required?

Thanks for your help.

ChinoCharles
05-03-2007, 10:47 AM
For 50 bucks everything is. It isn't a cheap job.

contraband831
05-03-2007, 02:18 PM
I had these Made for my Mazda 6 i paid $450 for Racing Green Center and Polished Lip. But powder Coating ranges in price depending what colors you are using and if you want a different colored lip or polished lip.

churp
05-03-2007, 09:01 PM
Where I work we have a couple powder lines....we don't do much off the street work but quite a few employees have their own stuff done. The prep for wheels is a problem because all old paint must be removed and alloys should be pre-baked due to possible outgassing of impurities or oils in the alloy...unless these processes have been done flawlessly, you end up with areas of discoloring or bubbles, or sometimes a piece of crap. The guys at work know about these items and are willing to accept minor flaws....but to do this for a paying customer, it takes a lot of work to do it right the 1st time, or charge enough to cover the expenses of stripping and coating a 2nd time. Powder coating is cheaper when making new product, but liquid paint becomes much cheaper on already painted or used items.

brickhardmeat
05-03-2007, 09:12 PM
paint 'em

blacksan
05-03-2007, 09:17 PM
paint 'em

What color to give Bayou Blue nice contrast?

ChinoCharles
05-03-2007, 09:19 PM
Where I work we have a couple powder lines....we don't do much off the street work but quite a few employees have their own stuff done. The prep for wheels is a problem because all old paint must be removed and alloys should be pre-baked due to possible outgassing of impurities or oils in the alloy...unless these processes have been done flawlessly, you end up with areas of discoloring or bubbles, or sometimes a piece of crap. The guys at work know about these items and are willing to accept minor flaws....but to do this for a paying customer, it takes a lot of work to do it right the 1st time, or charge enough to cover the expenses of stripping and coating a 2nd time. Powder coating is cheaper when making new product, but liquid paint becomes much cheaper on already painted or used items.

:thumbup: Thanks for the clarification. I am going to wait until I get the car painted so I can get the rims painted to match.

blacksan
05-03-2007, 09:33 PM
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=VHT%2DSP188&N=700+400335+301992+115&autoview=sku

So, will this cut it, or should I get the same product in satin black? If I do satin black I would like to get some chrome grease cup centers.

brickhardmeat
05-03-2007, 09:37 PM
What color to give Bayou Blue nice contrast?

Well, everyone is going to have a different opinion there. Of, course bronze or gold looks good, white, maybe silver or red with a baby moon and a beauty ring or you could check these out http://www.diamondracingwheels.com/. Or you could maybe do a different shade of blue, that is something I haven't seen. Throw on some beauty rings and white walls, yeah.:wink:

diamondracing also has some color options

blacksan
05-03-2007, 09:45 PM
Well, everyone is going to have a different opinion there. Of, course bronze or gold looks good, white, maybe silver or red with a baby moon and a beauty ring or you could check these out http://www.diamondracingwheels.com/. Or you could maybe do a different shade of blue, that is something I haven't seen. Throw on some beauty rings and white walls, yeah.:wink:

diamondracing also has some color options

I realize there are a lot of diffrent thoughts out here and that is why I am asking the gang. Hell, someone might open my eyes to a choice I never considered before.

It looks like Diamond is not DOT wheel?

Just to get the record straight the stock 15" steel is 6" wide with 4X100 bolt pattern and 40MM offset?

brickhardmeat
05-03-2007, 09:53 PM
I realize there are a lot of diffrent thoughts out here and that is why I am asking the gang. Hell, someone might open my eyes to a choice I never considered before.

It looks like Diamond is not DOT wheel?

Just to get the record straight the stock 15" steel is 6" wide with 4X100 bolt pattern and 40MM offset?
I am not sure but I was thinking it was 5.5 wide and 38 offset but I really don't know. The Diamond wheels offer some wider options and they have chrome. They also have some nice lips. Npt sure on the DOT. Does that really mean anything anymore? did it ever?

Black Yaris
05-04-2007, 12:12 AM
5.5 wide and 38 offset

:thumbup: DING DING DING we have a winner!:thumbup: