PDA

View Full Version : Headlight restoration Atlanta

DataGoddess
07-04-2015, 01:08 AM
Does anyone know a good place for headlight restoration in the Atlanta area? I would like to get them done nicely so they stay clear longer than a store kit. Also are there still Yaris meet ups in Atlanta?

_S7V7N_
07-22-2015, 11:43 AM
Do you have any type of buffer or Orbital?

You'd just need some 1500-2000 grit sandpaper.(wet sand)
Compound
Meguiars PlastiX
Wax.

I do mine about twice a year. Depending how much i drive.

1.5 to go
11-13-2015, 07:18 PM
toothpaste works super for head lites. john

1.5 to go
11-13-2015, 07:21 PM
New to yaris doing exterior & interior, than the mods begin. i can't leave anything alone !!lol

1.5 to go
11-13-2015, 07:25 PM
newbie ? does anyone know on a 2010 yaris if the cat is flow thru or should be gutted ,one site said with the small exhust pipe you shoud use a 2" muffler ? sound right ?

CB900F2
11-13-2015, 10:17 PM
Does anyone know a good place for headlight restoration in the Atlanta area? I would like to get them done nicely so they stay clear longer than a store kit. Also are there still Yaris meet ups in Atlanta?

I had some oxidation on my 2008 headlights, and I tried everything other then sanding, and I came across the following: http://www.ibc34.com/Onestep.html and I did not want to use those sand and polish kits, so I gave Pittman a try, its expensive, but it really work.. and worked well..

I should have taken some before pics, but I will post the after pics...

Something to think about.

tmontague
11-13-2015, 11:12 PM
If you want it to last then you need to add layers of clear coat (non yellowing, UV resistant) and after about 3 coats wet sand with a 3000 grit sandpaper. Repeat this at least twice a you'll have have have layers of clear coat on the lens that is smooth and non orange peel like. Then you Polish with a regular car Polish so it's no longer cloudy and then use a paint sealer/synthetic wax on top.

This will last you years and years. ChrisFix on you tube has a great video for a DIY on this. He just doesn' show how to wet sand the clearcoat to get rid of the orange peel.

The reason it doesn't last is because people only add wax after they wet sand and no clear coat. Wax is not a strong enough protector to use if you want it to last.

snowsquirrel
09-21-2016, 09:49 AM
http://Users/sewyongheng/Desktop/Headlight%20Before.jpg
http://Users/sewyongheng/Desktop/Headlight%20After.jpg

Further to what "tmontague" mentioned above, I have tried out "ChrisFix" method, I used 600, 1500 & 2000 (selection 'cos that's what I have in my garage) hand wet sanding, clean and degreased with rubbing alcohol before applying Rust-Oleum clear coat. This was done early Sept 2016 on my 2008 5dr LB. I'm rather pleased with the result so far.

JimKellyfan
03-08-2017, 03:38 PM
Lots of places do them.
Toyota and other shops.
If not doing it yourself, save your paperwork as they will get yella again.
(most have a 1, 2 or 3 yr warranty and you will need it)
I have done mine twice now with a small kit.
I also have a dual action sander to make light work of mine and the wifes.
When visiting my son at the half way point (kinda) we went to the Richmond Busch race last fall.
I tested the toothpaste and toothbrush theory and yes, it does work.
Ya need to coat with something though.
I was going to test clear enamel paint next go around just for the heck of it.
See if it lasted longer.

hichamaziz
03-01-2018, 03:28 PM
thank you for sharing