PDA

View Full Version : car wash product?

Nibs
05-11-2007, 08:11 PM
hey guys just about to hand wash the new car for the first time. Which product do you recommend. I Already have the turtle ice wax for afterwards.

I did a search on all 5 pages in this section and couldnt find a wash product anyone uses :)

brickhardmeat
05-11-2007, 08:27 PM
Anything that suds up and gets it clean.

blacksan
05-11-2007, 08:31 PM
I use any quality car wash that does not strip wax. Your average dish was soap works well, but it will strip the wax right off your finish. When I was a kid we used dish wash soap in the auto body shop as it would strip the paint finish bare.

dayvit_h
05-11-2007, 09:20 PM
Always hand wash my cars, always use Meguiars Deep Drystal. Have not found any exterior detail products better than Meguiars.

Nibs
05-11-2007, 10:13 PM
Always hand wash my cars, always use Meguiars Deep Drystal. Have not found any exterior detail products better than Meguiars.

thx guys. The painters on my job site I work at sprayed the exterior of the building beside our parking spots and didn't $%^&*(ing tell anyone they were doing it. My car got the most overspray. I almost freaking lost it:mad: . such BS.... I jsut went through a touchless car wash machine to see if it would come off and most of it did but I'm going to have to hand wash the rest off. Oh ya it was white paint and my yaris is black.....

blacksan
05-11-2007, 10:27 PM
thx guys. The painters on my job site I work at sprayed the exterior of the building beside our parking spots and didn't $%^&*(ing tell anyone they were doing it. My car got the most overspray. I almost freaking lost it:mad: . such BS.... I jsut went through a touchless car wash machine to see if it would come off and most of it did but I'm going to have to hand wash the rest off. Oh ya it was white paint and my yaris is black.....

If it was my car the morons that caused the damage would be paying for the cleanup! Did you contact them and make note of the damage with a witness present?

Nibs
05-11-2007, 10:33 PM
we know the painters and I told them if it doesnt come off with me doing a normal wash then they will be paying for it yes. Witnesses were present. Thing is they told the people who owned the vehicles parked right next to the building but didnt tell me or anyone else parked beyond me as well. I was 20 feet away from the building but it was a windy day and you just dont do that.... that stuff travels far. I figured most of it would be dry by the time it hit my car but not all of it was..... morons

blacksan
05-11-2007, 10:41 PM
we know the painters and I told them if it doesnt come off with me doing a normal wash then they will be paying for it yes. Witnesses were present. Thing is they told the people who owned the vehicles parked right next to the building but didnt tell me or anyone else parked beyond me as well. I was 20 feet away from the building but it was a windy day and you just dont do that.... that stuff travels far. I figured most of it would be dry by the time it hit my car but not all of it was..... morons

Cool, I still would have considered taking a dump in the painters truck seat as it would have dried by the time they finished working.:smoking:

Razr
05-18-2007, 06:57 PM
hey guys just about to hand wash the new car for the first time. Which product do you recommend. I Already have the turtle ice wax for afterwards.

I did a search on all 5 pages in this section and couldnt find a wash product anyone uses :)

As noted by others, just buy one that works and doesn't strip wax.

As a guide, what you're looking for is a soap that contains a reasonable amount of sodium lauryl ether sulphate (8%+ will suds up well) and nothing else, unless it's carnauba wax (coconut diethanolamide) - in which case 5+% is getting good enough to actually condition your existing wax when you wash.

Absolutely never use dish soap of course.

Razr
05-18-2007, 07:01 PM

One word: clay

Washing wont get it off, and the additional effort you'll put in will only risk creating swirls in your paint. Get yourself a claying kit (http://www.meguiars.com/?auto-detailing-clay/Smooth-Surface-Clay-Kit) and you'll be able to remove the overspray both safely and easily.