PDA

View Full Version : Pin Stripe goo

death is my gift
05-13-2007, 12:36 AM
i tore off the ugly ass pin stripe today. only thing is, it left it's very own pin stripe goo. i tried using plain ol' soap and water and when that didn't work i tried Goo-Gone (made specifically for goo-y type gooness). the Goo Gone didn't work either.

so what the crap do i do to get that goo-y stripe off the side of my car??:confused: :confused: :confused:

brickhardmeat
05-13-2007, 01:28 AM
Wow, it shouldn't take that much. I would think some plain old dish soap and wharm water would do the trick. Then you'll need to give it a little wax coat or at least a good spray of wax at the car wash. I did this with my VW and the pin stripe had been on for a couple of years when I bought the car.

blacksan
05-13-2007, 04:00 AM
Use a good liquid Carnuba wax like the Wax Shop Super Glaze. That stuff will even soften road tar that you simply wipe off when the wax gets a haze. The best part is there are no abrasives, thus no harm to the clear coat. Apparently Turtle Wax has made a new Bug-n-Tar remover that is gentle to your finish, but I have not used it yet.

YamilR
05-13-2007, 09:34 AM
400 grit sand paper................kidding

jamal1984
05-13-2007, 12:37 PM
use the one for Bugs and Tar that one is work real good, but you have to wash and wax your car after.

jmjonesey
05-13-2007, 05:55 PM
i took mine off the other day, and all i needed to do was wash and wax it and you couldnt tell it had been there

remember, when all else fails, use 75w-90 elbow grease

blacksan
05-13-2007, 06:45 PM
i took mine off the other day, and all i needed to do was wash and wax it and you couldnt tell it had been there

remember, when all else fails, use 75w-90 elbow grease,

I didn't mention this before, but a squirt of WD40 on a rag also does wonders for adhesive removal.

Razr
05-18-2007, 06:52 PM
The definitive answer for removing sticker goop is Eucalyptus Oil.

Just dab a little on a rag and it'll take the goop off with pretty much no effort at all, so there's no chance of damaging your finish through physical scrubbing. Makes ure you wash the area with soapy water afterwards, and reapply your wax/sealant over the area though.

H2XcapePod
05-19-2007, 07:02 PM
a little heat couldn't hurt either...how bout you whip out a hair dryer with the Goo Gone.

drell42
05-20-2007, 05:20 PM
I would cover it up with something, like a pin stripe or something!.. oh wait never mind :p

nsmitchell
05-21-2007, 01:47 PM

I didn't mention this before, but a squirt of WD40 on a rag also does wonders for adhesive removal.

+1 - That is what I was just about to suggest. WD-40 is just as good, if not better than goo gone and all those things at removing residues from stickers and stuff. I use it for plastic stuff I'm selling on eBay. It makes it look great and removes gunk from phones and remotes, etc... Best of all it is harmless to paint and plastics. Great tar remover as well.

death is my gift
06-03-2007, 09:54 PM
i found a solution for this problem.....finally.
today i was fed up. i had tried everything to get this goo shit off. i got my ass to Auto Zone and i was determined to find SOMETHING to help me. well, i did. Bug and Tar remover. worked like a charm. just spray, leave it on for 30-45 seconds and then just take a clean DRY cloth and wipe it off. you'll be tempted to wipe the spray away because it starts to drip. you'll have to wash your car afterwards. it works great, just drips like a bitch.

oh, the paint is fine. doesn't damage it at all. at least not the Absolutely Red (which is what i have).

the name of the stuff i used is: Lifter 1 Bug and Tar Remover.

brickhardmeat
06-03-2007, 10:03 PM
somone mentioned this stuff before, I have never tried it but I need to get a bottle especially having a white car, I have a couple of tar splats in my fender edge that bother me

glad you finally got that shit off there

Toyotech
06-03-2007, 10:56 PM
if u have time... check in with your local toyota/lexus dealer for dealersol... it will remove anything.