PDA

View Full Version : New 2016 SE and I need some help.

VaultTec
05-10-2016, 12:36 AM
Hey guys and gals. I recently purchased a 2016 Yaris SE and I wanted to do some minor modifications. I do have some questions first and for whatever reason when I use the search, Safari crashes on me (boo I'm on an iPhone -_-). So excuse me for my noobish ways :p

First question. Can a 2016 use any parts from older Yaris or other Toyota / Scion vehicles? I want to install some suspension bars and lowering springs but there's nothing for my year :(

Second. Can I use 2012-14 Taillights and read bumper from a SE on a 2016? I dislike the huge reverse light in the back and no arc for the exhaust. Also the yellow tint on the lights.

Third. Can I make the light bar on the headlights brighter? It's extremely dim. If I can, what part(s) would I need? I'm not referring to the 4 LEDs I just realized there's a light bar but it's barely noticeable even at light.

Fourth. Any way to make just my fog lights come on without having to turn on the headlights?

Biginjapan13
05-10-2016, 12:42 AM
TRD lowering springs are a joke for what you pay for. If anything go aftermarket. Rear sway from earlier models will work with aftermarket bolts.

Not sure about using the bumper and lights, I'm going to assume no because of where the back up light is mounted and there only being one light bulb on the 16 and 2 bulbs on the older models.

And without rewiring the fog lights to a different switch there's not way to have then come on without the headlight being on. If I'm not mistaken it's illegal to have them on without headlights in the U.S

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biginjapan13
05-10-2016, 12:44 AM
Re-pasted Summary: (thanks again NYC-SE :thumbsup:)

Just a quick how-to recap for TRD rear sway bar installation on a 3rd Gen Yaris SE.

Things to know:

1. TRD sway bar part # is PTR11-52071. This is the same part that fits the 2nd Gen Yaris and the Scion xD.

2. 3rd Gen SE models have a “rear axle beam dynamic damper” installed in the upper hole where the sway bar will mount.

You CAN discard these, thereby freeing up that hole and install the sway bar with the supplied hardware BUT I recommend that you DO NOT. Toyota went to the trouble of designing and installing these dampers, they serve a purpose. I decided to keep mine.

3. If you decide to keep them you will have to buy 2 new mounting bolts. The bolts supplied with the sway bar will not fit the dampers, the thread is different. DO NOT reuse the bolts holding the dampers in place. They are too short and they are lower grade.

VERY IMPORTANT: make sure you buy Grade 10.9 bolts. (This is the same grade as the supplied bolts.) You will NOT find them at your local Home Depot. I had to order them online from Fastenal. Part number is 11116380. These are M10-1.25X30mm, Class 10.9, Yellow Zinc coated flange bolts.

DO NOT use lower grade bolts. There will be a greater risk of failure if you do. Don’t put yourself in danger.

4. You can use the washers supplied with the sway bar. They go on the bolt head. The “nut” is cast into the damper.

5. Remove the dampers first. Then install the sway bar according to the supplied directions, except of course, use the 2 new bolts and the rear beam dynamic damper for the upper mounting holes. Torque to specs. (44 ft-lbs for upper {new} bolts, 36 ft-lbs for lower shock mount bolts).

6. You can do ALMOST all of this with the car on the ground BUT you will have to jack up the vehicle and remove the tires for the final torquing of the upper bolts. There is not enough clearance to get a torque wrench on those bolts with the wheels on.[/QUOTE]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kalispel
05-10-2016, 01:17 AM
My mod-adept nephew and myself just installed the TRD rear-sway-bar on my 2015 this evening after work.

Some notes regarding the 2015/2016 versus the 2012-2014 SE: My SE didn't have any “rear axle beam dynamic dampers” in the secondary bolt-holes (they were empty), so either the design was tweaked some between 2012-2014 and the 2015 refresh as to not require them any more, or some French guy/gal forgot :eek: to install the ones on my Yaris. Thus, the "2007-2011" TRD rear-sway-bar is 100% plug-and-play right out the box on the 2015/2016 SE also, using the Toyota/TRD supplied bolts.

I treated my nephew to dinner out afterwards, and took some corners and such more aggressively than normal, and the car definitely feels much tighter, flatter and controlled on the turns. For the money, it's a really sweet bang-for-the-buck handling/stability mod. :thumbsup:

As far as the bumper/taillights go, I am assuming the fitment is still the same, but I'm betting the wiring/harness is different from the 2012-2014 version due to the location/design of the reverse lights on the 2015/2016. I agree that the 2012 rear SE bumper looks better than the 2015/2016 version, but the red/white taillights are more bulgy/protruding than the sleeker ones on the 2015/2016. I actually like the design/look of the 2015/2016 stock taillights, gold turn-signal section and all - though it is a shame that the 2012-2016 North-American SE wasn't given some unique LED taillights also, like those found in other markets.

Despite some basic cosmetic/fitment and sheet metal differences, the core mechanics of the 2012-2016 is almost identical as the 2007-2011. The "2007-2011" rear-sway-bar, for example, was still a perfect fit on my 2015 Yaris, despite Toyota telling me it wasn't compatible because their computers listed it for "2007-2011" models only. From what I hear, it's the same with the TRD lowering springs, etc.

Jinz
05-10-2016, 03:22 PM
I don't think it'll fit my scion iA :[

yarisugi
05-10-2016, 05:18 PM
^Because Scion iA.

Rear lights interchangeable from 2012-2016. As others have said though, 2015+ have reverse lights below bumper so it'll require re-wiring.
I don't know if rear bumpers are interchangeable, but since rear lights fit, bumpers should fit too...?

VaultTec
05-10-2016, 06:21 PM
So my 2nd & 4th questions were somewhat answered so thanks for that. Now, what about my first and fourth question? I can't find any suspension bars for the 2016 Yaris with the exception of the TRD rear away which I already ordered. Also, what about the light bar on the SE headlights? Can it be made brighter and how (bulb #).

yarisugi
05-10-2016, 06:38 PM
1) Springs fit but I'm not certain about suspension braces. Only way is to find out is to measure mounting bolt-to-mounting bolt from yours and an older Yaris.

3) Can I make the light bar on the headlights brighter? It's extremely dim. If I can, what part(s) would I need? I'm not referring to the 4 LEDs I just realized there's a light bar but it's barely noticeable even at light.
You can make it brighter but you'd first have to find out the specs of LED emitter in there. Then you can purchase an LED driver for that emitter or replace the OEM LED with an aftermarket high power LED and a driver to power it. Brighter will also mean more heat being dissipated, you'll need a more efficient heatsink to handle the heat coming off the LED. If not, the LED will burnout prematurely. In short, leave it alone. Lol

4) Any way to make just my fog lights come on without having to turn on the headlights?
As Biginjapan13 mentioned, you'll have to wire the fogs separately with a manual switch if you want to turn it on independently of the headlights.