PDA

View Full Version : Yaris Popularity

cwk8412
03-01-2017, 04:54 AM
Hey guys,

Was wondering whether Yaris are popular in your country? When you see them, are they usually stock or modified? Yaris are popular in my country (New Zealand), but they are in stock. Do you guys think people dislike Yaris compare to similar class cars such as Honda Fit, Ford Fiesta...etc

Cheers

Justhandguns
03-01-2017, 05:08 AM
Strangely, Yaris seems to be very popular in the UK, but not so for Gen3. But compared to other Japanese hatchbacks such as Jazz/Fit, Swift, Micra, they are everywhere. There used to be plenty of early gen Micra's around (I think they are made in the UK?), but I think the lost out much to the newer European brands.

The previous versions of Yaris are always seen as a learner's car, maybe it's because the driving instructors can easily attach the extra paddles on the passenger side? There must be a reason for it. The previous generation of Honda Jazz was popular for quite a few years, but Honda decided that they should sell it at a higher price..... The European brands are also gaining grounds probably because of their cheaper price tags. Peugeot/Renault/Ford/Vauxhall(GM) are also everywhere.

cwk8412
03-01-2017, 05:24 AM
Yeah I've seen a lot of Learners with the second gen Yaris. I guess they are quite popular for Learners as Yaris is small and easy to drive around with, the parking is pretty easy with easy angles that you can see.

I'm quite suprised that Yaris are popular in the UK as Yaris are not that popular in New Zealand. As you said, there are more second gen Yaris around in New Zelaand too. But I do not seem to see a lot of third gen Yaris around, even if they are, they are used as rental cars.

Pop me a message, Ill add you on Instagram 🤙🏼

bronsin
03-01-2017, 10:48 AM
Cant say they are popular at all here in the States. They dont sell many compared to Fit, Mirage, et al.

Only see stock examples here in NJ never mods.

You might call this a Yaris Mod forum however.

ern-diz
03-01-2017, 11:43 AM
I agree with bronsin. The large majority I see here in SoCal are stock.

tmontague
03-01-2017, 12:29 PM
I would say the second gen(?) 2007, 2008 ish Yaris' are very popular around here. Not many of the newer gen are as I think people got smoozed over by what Hyundai and Kia are offering for not much more money (albeit at a loss to reliability). Even the Fit seems like a better deal to most with a newer trans and engine and Honda's are at least closer to Toyota in reliability than something like Hyundai is.

Most Yaris' around here are completely stock, the most I usually see if a set of aftermarket rims on them.

The problem is from what I've seen, people don't care about longevity when you flash things like "heated seats, lane departure warning etc". They get all excited over things that are really moot and then look at a basic Yaris and don't even think twice. Many people around here get bored with a car in 3 years and then go by the newest whatever because they "just have to have it". It's been fascinating but sad to watch my generation not appreciate things but feel that they need to spend money to have something that's new even though their current product works fine (new Iphone anyone?).

How superficial it is but the reality is that if Toyota wants to compete with other car makers in that age category they need to start flashing some of that stuff as well. To me it's a waste as I'm paying for something that I don't want or need and it just adds cost and weight. But that's why I don't buy brand new.

The interesting thing is these people will then complain that their car costs so much to run and after 150k km it's ready for the scrap yard... These people have barely even finished paying off their car only to go then take out a huge extended car payment for the next "newest and best" car that they'll feel good about for a week. Then complain they have no money and are swallowed up in debt. It's crazy how many extended friends I know who are in this boat. My first question in my head is always "why are they driving and making a huge car payment on that new car that is way more than they need" many times it's a new Volkswagen that moves them from home to work in traffic.

But I digress...

NYC-SE
03-01-2017, 12:41 PM
Not very popular in NYC area. I might see one 2nd gen a day. I can go weeks without seeing a 3rd gen Yaris.

kevinj93
03-01-2017, 01:24 PM
I see many Yarii around my local area and in the centre of the city. By the time I get from my house to the main road (800 metres) i have passed 5 other Gen 2 or 3 Yarii.

Toyota have been advertising the Yaris on prime time television for a few months now, and are currently advertising the chance to win one of three Yarii if you purchase any new Toyota.

However, I must admit that the Yaris is generally seen as a "Girl's car" or cheap, reliable basic transport for some businesses.

Dodge Aries K
03-01-2017, 03:04 PM
I see barely any near me in the Rockford, Illinois area... besides my house where we have three of them lol. There's a white SE I see every few weeks, a red L that belongs to an appliance repair guy, and a gray LE that I've passed a few times.

scratchpaddy
03-01-2017, 03:06 PM
The Yaris was on the top of the "small/cheap" heap here in the U.S. in 2008, but sales have been falling fast ever since. Now it has the worst sales among all the cars I would consider it to be a competitor to. The Versa is doing extremely well.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-CbRxxqL/0/O/i-CbRxxqL.png

stykerdk
03-01-2017, 05:13 PM
Quite popular here in Denmark the 7 most sold i january 2,8% of the total sale.
https://www.bilimp.dk/Statistik
Peugeot 208 is number 1 because they sell them cheap with lots of comfort equipment, But as all french cars it Will probably start falling apart when it leaves the dealer.

And VW quality isnt much better, big problems with rust and engines with cam chains which fails fast plus DSG7 with huge problems.

Kalispel
03-01-2017, 06:56 PM
Not a popular vehicle choice in Phoenix, AZ as a personal vehicle (or the rest of the USA in general for that matter).

I can count on one hand the number of 2015-2017 SE's that I have seen on the road since they made their debut in late 2014. About the same for the 2012-2014 version SE. I haven't seen that many L/LE 2012+ Yaris models on the road either for that matter, versus the Versa, Fit, etc. I bet Toyota sells more new Yaris (L/LE) vehicles to rental companies each year here in the USA now than they do to actual personal buyers, and I imagine that the SE sales versus the L/LE in general is less than 1 in 20 sold since most people shopping this vehicle class are more price-focused than anything else.

Even the 2nd gen Yaris (2007-2011) isn't a common sight (mostly the sedan versions), and the ones I do see are all base factory equipped, hubcap loving, and showing their age/wear/neglect in most cases. There is a single blue 2009-2011 'S' trim hatch that I see occasionally in my area, that is well taken care of, but not modified outside of the factory 'S' bodykit and alloy norms. :thumbsup:

Oh well - I do love my little Yaris anyways, and still wouldn't opt for any other vehicle anywhere near its price-point ($25K or less). :wub:

thebarber
03-01-2017, 07:48 PM
lots of yaris in southern ontario and quebec, canada

scratchpaddy
03-01-2017, 10:05 PM
hubcap loving:thumbsup::wub:

Just about the only 3rd gen cars I see belong to a pest control company, who give them big ears and a tail so they look like mice. Hard to miss. :laugh:

justanotherdrunk
03-01-2017, 10:40 PM
:thumbdown:

Kalispel
03-01-2017, 10:45 PM
I've seen a couple of those yellow-mice Yari around here also. :tongue:

cwk8412
03-02-2017, 03:24 AM
Hahah come on, got to love the Pikachu look on the Yaris hahaha

cwk8412
03-02-2017, 03:33 AM
I would say the second gen(?) 2007, 2008 ish Yaris' are very popular around here. Not many of the newer gen are as I think people got smoozed over by what Hyundai and Kia are offering for not much .......

Hahah yeah well I do know that Kia and other car brands are selling similar hatchbacks at a lower price, however personally I think that Toyota still has its reliability in the long term. Speaking of VW, whenever I see a VW polo or VW golf they always try to race me lol.

David C
03-02-2017, 05:09 AM
lots of yaris in southern ontario and quebec, canada

Yup, I can see at least 4 to 5 second gen Yaris just by looking out my window right now.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

NYC-SE
03-02-2017, 01:53 PM
Whenever I'm in Montreal I'm amazed by the number of Yarii I see.

David C
03-02-2017, 03:06 PM

Whenever I'm in NYC, I'm amazed by the number of big cars that have to drive off the island to get gas everyday :p

kimona
03-02-2017, 03:46 PM

I read an article recently that quoted insurance statistics indicating that Montreal is the small car capital of North America, while Vancouver is the luxury and exotic car capital of North America.

cwk8412
03-02-2017, 04:15 PM
I read an article recently that quoted insurance statistics indicating that Montreal is the small car capital of North America, while Vancouver is the luxury and exotic car capital of North America.

Speaking of insurance, I assume the insurance would be cheaper on Yaris compare to other similar type cars?

David C
03-02-2017, 04:32 PM
Speaking of insurance, I assume the insurance would be cheaper on Yaris compare to other similar type cars?

If $570 CAD a year including tax for a 24yo driver with only fire/vandalism/theft protection with a $500 deductible and $2M responsibility driving a 10yo Yaris hatchback two door is what you call cheap. I've checked two days ago with my agent and if my car was the 4 door hatch, if would cost me almost $100 more ! So many people with driving Yaris here that the average claim ratio per car model isn't has good as other places where the Yaris is less driven. I think I should be paying about $400 top with tax for such basic coverage, a perfect driving history and a very good credit background too (I wouldn't be surprised if your credit score didn't influenced even your insurances rates imo).

scratchpaddy
03-02-2017, 05:41 PM
If $570 CAD a year including tax for a 24yo driver with only fire/vandalism/theft protection with a $500 deductible and $2M responsibility driving a 10yo Yaris hatchback two door is what you call cheap. I've checked two days ago with my agent and if my car was the 4 door hatch, if would cost me almost $100 more ! So many people with driving Yaris here that the average claim ratio per car model isn't has good as other places where the Yaris is less driven. I think I should be paying about $400 top with tax for such basic coverage, a perfect driving history and a very good credit background too (I wouldn't be surprised if your credit score didn't influenced even your insurances rates imo).

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant TapatalkThat is super cheap! :eyebulge: And yes, if insurance in Canada is anything like in the U.S., credit score has a much bigger effect on price than actual driving history. :thumbdown:

MadMax
03-02-2017, 06:05 PM
I'll have to say the countries in which I saw the most Yaris/Vitz was the UK and Japan, followed by Germany. I actually see a fair amount of 2 Gen Yarii here in southcentral Texas but usually they're stock. Modded ones are mainly limited to aftermarket rims and tires, and spoilers. Replacement headlights and tail lights, or other things like Vitz badges, are rare...

Most people don't know what my Yaris is unless they see the badge in the back.

Cheers! M2

David C
03-02-2017, 06:08 PM
That is super cheap! :eyebulge: And yes, if insurance in Canada is anything like in the U.S., credit score has a much bigger effect on price than actual driving history. :thumbdown:

Glad to hear that. Still it's too much anyway.

tmontague
03-02-2017, 06:14 PM
Around here the yaris is not as cheap to insure as one would think. We get bent over in regards to auto insurance in Ontario by the billions so this may not apply to other provinces/states.

Because the yaris is a subcompact and driven by many students and young kids as their first car, the statistics don't positively favor low insurance rates for it. If I purchased a large 4 door more expensive sedan I'd pay less than in my yaris. I am paying about $160 per month for no collision just liability. Meaning they are only paying if I hit someone else and it's my fault then they pay for the other car I hit. This is with a clean record and other vehicles being insured by the same company. I also have a clean record.

Its attrocious how f*cked we get in Ontario. Regardless it's what it costs to drive in this province.

I see many more LB's than sedans on the road around here.

kimona
03-02-2017, 07:10 PM
It cost me more to insure my 2007 Yaris than my 2010 Camry. When I got the 2014 Yaris, insurance was even more expensive.

Kalispel
03-02-2017, 07:44 PM
$834/year USD$ full-coverage here on my Yari. Not horrible. Not great.

scratchpaddy
03-02-2017, 07:50 PM
I am paying about $160 per month for no collision just liability. Ouch! See, David? You're getting off easy. :wink: I was paying about $500 per year for my Geo Metro (Pontiac Firefly to you Canadians), a nearly worthless, very slow, 20-year-old car, liability only, with no at-fault accidents or tickets in my history. Plus, I only insure it as a "pleasure" car, not a commuter (less than 7k miles per year).

Strangely, I only pay a little more for full coverage on my Yaris now. Maybe it's because I'm past the 25-year-old mark now?

tarkus
03-02-2017, 08:01 PM
Yarii are everywhere in the Toronto area. Just in the parking lot where I work, I see several, including a sedan with a cool license plate, something like "YAR11". Probably only around 5% of them around here are customised in any visible way. Plenty of other small cars around as well, like the Honda (mis)Fit.

Sent from my phone with Tapatalk. Please excuse any typpos.

David C
03-02-2017, 09:09 PM
Ouch! See, David? You're getting off easy. :wink: I was paying about $500 per year for my Geo Metro (Pontiac Firefly to you Canadians), a nearly worthless, very slow, 20-year-old car, liability only, with no at-fault accidents or tickets in my history. Plus, I only insure it as a "pleasure" car, not a commuter (less than 7k miles per year).

Strangely, I only pay a little more for full coverage on my Yaris now. Maybe it's because I'm past the 25-year-old mark now?

Still expensive, although I did shop around a lot and that was the best rate I was able to get. Just like gas is expensive here for no good reason. It's 50% more expensive here than it is in Vermont.

I'll call back my insurer in September when I turn 25 to renegotiate that outrageous premium, they gotta give me some lovin' if they want my money.

And we had the Geo Metro here too, not rebranded. Cool little car when I was 10yo haha.

scratchpaddy
03-02-2017, 10:51 PM
It's always a good idea to shop around every year or two on insurance. They all use different formulas for their rates, so you never know when your history might suddenly get you a better rate somewhere else. And we had the Geo Metro here too, not rebranded. Cool little car when I was 10yo haha. Cool, I wasn't sure if you got the Geo badge, too. Except for a few early ones imported from Japan, they were all built in Ontario. They're still almost common in the Pacific Northwest. I think I saw more Metros than Yarii last time I was up there, even though production ended more than 15 years ago.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Travel/Oregon-Winter-2015/i-TRXHZV5/0/L/2015-12%20094-L.jpg (https://photos.smugmug.com/Travel/Oregon-Winter-2015/i-TRXHZV5/0/O/2015-12%20094.jpg)

Captain Yaris
03-03-2017, 09:15 AM
I dated a girl about 15 years ago who had a 3 cylinder Metro. She would rip through those gears like it was a race car. I remember being really impressed. Awesome little car!

justanotherdrunk
03-03-2017, 11:28 AM
I dated a girl about 15 years ago who had a 3 cylinder Metro. She would rip through those gears like it was a race car. I remember being really impressed. Awesome little car!

pics of girl? :smoking:

thebarber
03-03-2017, 11:57 AM

no comprehensive coverage?

David C
03-03-2017, 12:08 PM
no comprehensive coverage?

Such as ?

Pinchlite
03-13-2017, 01:51 AM
Gotta be about 10+ in my area(Penetanguishene/midland) and around 6-7 of those being 2007/2008.I would say 4-5 of those are 2 DR HB and only 1 or 2 sedans total.

Plenty more in the barrie area aswell.

I stop and talk to the owners and ask how they like and all say they love their car and say they have had no major isues mechanically.All have zero rust and are not modified.

I have yet to see a rusted out yaris anywhere.

Too bad what they did to the front end with the new models.

Pinchlite
03-13-2017, 01:57 AM

Thats cute!

Congrats on the 25:clap:

4 years for me and don't miss it one bit.

Pinchlite
03-13-2017, 02:08 AM
Hahah yeah well I do know that Kia and other car brands are selling similar hatchbacks at a lower price, however personally I think that Toyota still has its reliability in the long term. Speaking of VW, whenever I see a VW polo or VW golf they always try to race me lol.

VW has to be one of the best loooking cars in my opinion.Simple,not all cut up like most every other make but still look modern.Reason why I like the look of my 2007 yaris.

Off topic but I think Audis/Volkswagons are the nicest looking cars on the road.

tarkus
03-13-2017, 12:32 PM
I happen to agree with you, having owned two A4s and two Passats, myself. All pretty much the same car, and a real pleasure to drive.

That's why it breaks my heart so much that VW's mechanical reliability has gone down the toilet in recent years.

Pinchlite
03-13-2017, 03:29 PM
I happen to agree with you, having owned two A4s and two Passats, myself. All pretty much the same car, and a real pleasure to drive.

That's why it breaks my heart so much that VW's mechanical reliability has gone down the toilet in recent years.

Like I said even the latest model/s,especially the golf GTI looks phenominal.

They dont cut the car all up like the new civics amongst others.Not a fan of the newer yaris front end at all,its actually quite horrid.

Mind posting a few pics of your car and list mods?

NYC-SE
03-13-2017, 04:00 PM
Prior to my Yaris I owned a 2010 Golf. NEVER AGAIN.

Agreed that they look good. In fact I think they​ have the best design scheme of any mainstream auto company, but their reliability is horrible. Not worth it.

Also agree that the current design of the Yaris front end is unpleasant. I much prefer the 2012-2014 front end design. To me the 2012 SE design looks almost German.

tmontague
03-13-2017, 04:05 PM
Like I said even the latest model/s,especially the golf GTI looks phenominal.

They dont cut the car all up like the new civics amongst others.Not a fan of the newer yaris front end at all,its actually quite horrid.

Mind posting a few pics of your car and list mods?

The new civics are way too much. The type R is even worse. It says a lot if you have to cut a body up like that to make it look sporty. Look at the old Supras, not aggressive lines really and there's a handful of them in the Southern States pushing over 1k hp.

I don't mind some aggressive lines in a body and they sometimes can look good, but the new designs are getting ridiculous

Captain Yaris
03-13-2017, 08:19 PM
I agree as well. I love my car (2016 MY 2DR), but I always have mixed emotions about the grill. I wish they broke it up a little bit. I am going to switch my L grille out for an SE soon because the Piano Trim mesh look of the SE dresses it a little bit nicer. The only thing I don't like about the Golf is the squared off front end. I always liked the 2003-2009 front end of the GTI best.

Kalispel
03-13-2017, 08:25 PM
I agree as well. I love my car (2016 MY 2DR), but I always have mixed emotions about the grill. I wish they broke it up a little bit. I am going to switch my L grille out for an SE soon because the Piano Trim mesh look of the SE dresses it a little bit nicer. The only thing I don't like about the Golf is the squared off front end. I always liked the 2003-2009 front end of the GTI best.

I like the look of the 2015-2017 SE honeycomb grill pattern, but it is HUGE pain in the ass to clean/dry and then detail with protectant. It is the biggest time-sink when it comes to hand-cleaning and detailing my car.

David1991
03-15-2017, 01:00 PM
In Malta where I live the Yaris/Vitz is quite popular. We have two choices from where to buy the car. Either brand new from the local Toyota agent, French made Yaris, or one can go at an auto dealer (which there are many nowadays) and purchase a Japanese imported Vitz.

Prices go as follow:
The new Yaris is around 14,000 to 18,000 euros. Depends on the trim.
The Japanese imported Vitz will start from 6200-7500 euros for a 2010 1.0L or 1.3L petrol and from 7,000 up to 9,800 euros for the preface-lift 3rd gen.

kimona
03-17-2017, 12:05 PM
Rarely see another Yaris on the road. I don't think the massive grille-work helped attract new customers. Plus, the car always gets such bad press... while the Fit gets glowing reviews. I just don't get it; after driving the newer Fit several times, I think the Yaris is a better car in so many ways! Honda promotes the heck out of the crappy Fit, and Toyota would rather the Yaris rust on the lot.

Kalispel
03-17-2017, 08:41 PM
Not sure what the next 3-5 years holds for new product/styling, but at the current rate it looks like I will be buying another Yaris SE in 2020-2022 (an automatic version this time), if anything at all. Everything on the market currently, in the brand names that I prefer to stick with, is just not appealing at all versus my current Yaris.

Pinchlite
03-17-2017, 08:48 PM
Not sure what the next 3-5 years holds for new product/styling, but at the current rate it looks like I will be buying another Yaris SE in 2020-2022 (an automatic version this time), if anything at all. Everything on the market currently, in the brand names that I prefer to stick with, is just not appealing at all versus my current Yaris.

For me the newest year yaris before front grill change or a fiat 500.

justanotherdrunk
03-17-2017, 09:44 PM
according to my wife, her boss just bought a new red yaris se just like mine

been tryin' to get a pic

its a rare unicorn here in the land of tesla and prius

jstert
03-29-2017, 03:35 AM
writing from manila on my way to jakarta soon. yaris is the official taxicab of se asia. it was after seeing the hard use that they handle with grace, i decided that yaris was to be my only choice for a snowbird car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David C
04-19-2017, 11:44 AM
If my street is somewhat representative of the area, you get the idea :)

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170419/2acd2ef591b126a566c01fbd23947415.jpg

justanotherdrunk
04-19-2017, 12:11 PM
:coolpics:

NYC-SE
04-19-2017, 12:37 PM
If my street is somewhat representative of the area, you get the idea :)

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170419/2acd2ef591b126a566c01fbd23947415.jpg

In America a scene like that would be considered a sign of the Apocalypse.

yarisfitch
04-19-2017, 01:04 PM
Plenty of the auto parts stores use them as delivery vehicles

ern-diz
04-19-2017, 02:27 PM
Three in a row; nice lol.

Reminds me of streets in Europe back in '03. Littered with Peugeot 206's.

David C
04-19-2017, 09:23 PM
And the pic doesn't show that the other 3 cars before and after the Yaris were all Matrix's

tarkus
04-19-2017, 11:12 PM
I see several Yarii every day in the parking lot where I work in the Toronto area. My nearby neighbor also has a Yaris, and there are plenty to be seen in the streets around Toronto.

jayeh
04-19-2017, 11:36 PM
Rarely see another Yaris on the road. I don't think the massive grille-work helped attract new customers. Plus, the car always gets such bad press... while the Fit gets glowing reviews. I just don't get it; after driving the newer Fit several times, I think the Yaris is a better car in so many ways! Honda promotes the heck out of the crappy Fit, and Toyota would rather the Yaris rust on the lot.

When comparing cars to the US I tell people to removed the bottom class of car when thinking of the US.

The person in Canada that buys a Yaris would be the kind of person to buy a Corolla in the us... Corolla buyer = Camry...

When travelling in the US I was amazed at all the younger guys driving Camrys... here is an old persons car!

thebarber
04-20-2017, 05:54 AM
i was looking at Heffner Toyota yesterday trying to see new yaris hatch/sedans. they had ONE hatchback. the cambridge dealer had nothing!

the issue is price. by the time you get into a 5dr LE with a/c, PL, PW, etc you're into a base corolla that has all the same features....you have to WANT a smaller car with less power but better FE

Pinchlite
04-20-2017, 06:17 AM
I see several Yarii every day in the parking lot where I work in the Toronto area. My nearby neighbor also has a Yaris, and there are plenty to be seen in the streets around Toronto.

Many,many Yaris in my area aswell.Like I mentioned before I have yet to see one modified period...I think I may have seen one with tinted windows but not positive.Oh and have not seen a single one rusted,not even a 2007/2008 model which is the majority of the yaris I see and tend to be 4 DR HB.

I had one fella the other day who thought my car was much newer and did not even know what it was.Kinda surprised me as he is a car guy but he's into VW's.

dogsridewith
04-20-2017, 10:35 AM
Toyota and the dealers must have tried to keep the Yaris a secret in these parts. I had Tercel, Corolla and FX-16 and knew Echo was offspring of Tercel. But didn't have any idea what a Yaris was until I saw a CA Yaris on CL. Weird name...are Boris Yeltsin and Yaris Beltsin from the same province? And don't we really want to sell Corollas, Prii, RAV4...?

DiCaprio
04-20-2017, 10:44 AM
Not sure if you knew about this but car manufacturer sometimes build too much cars and they can't sell them. The cars end up in gigantic parking lot and probably stay there forever.

Pinchlite
04-20-2017, 11:12 AM
Man!..a brand new 2007 2DR HB would be awesome.

How and where would someone enquire about unsold yaris's?

David C
04-20-2017, 10:10 PM
Man!..a brand new 2007 2DR HB would be awesome.

How and where would someone enquire about unsold yaris's?

As if it would be in better condition than a well maintained used one after sitting still in the sun and rain for 10 years xD

If you want a 2dr HB, come over here, there's plenty of them in good condition well equipped to be had for a good price, and you may even get a snow shovel and broom in the deal :)

Pinchlite
04-21-2017, 05:39 AM
As if it would be in better condition than a well maintained used one after sitting still in the sun and rain for 10 years xD

If you want a 2dr HB, come over here, there's plenty of them in good condition well equipped to be had for a good price, and you may even get a snow shovel and broom in the deal :)

What DiCaprio mentioned.

(Not sure if you knew about this but car manufacturer sometimes build too much cars and they can't sell them)

scratchpaddy
04-21-2017, 11:58 AM
Not sure if you knew about this but car manufacturer sometimes build too much cars and they can't sell them. The cars end up in gigantic parking lot and probably stay there forever.Urban legend. It would make no sense for carmakers to keep paying for all that space indefinitely. When demand abruptly falls, like during the last recession, new cars sat for longer than usual, but it was months, not years. They will find a buyer, even if they have to settle for a fraction of the car's value. Anything is better than paying for storage and letting the cars depreciate further. Many of the pictures you see come from ports, taken of cars waiting for shipment to the destination country, which is something you'll see even when sales are moving normally.

Auto Death Zone (http://www.snopes.com/photos/automobiles/unsoldcars.asp)

DiCaprio
04-21-2017, 05:43 PM
Yes i heard that these cars are often bought for dumping prices by big companies who need a fleet of new vehicles. Like the company Telekom the only drive Renault Megans' in my area.

WeeYari
04-21-2017, 07:33 PM
That pic DiCaprio posted looks exactly like an area outside Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. There is the port of entry for European manufactured vehicles entering Canada Volkswagen, Audi and Mercedes as far as the eye can see. Really is quite a sight.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk

tarkus
04-22-2017, 08:28 AM
i was looking at Heffner Toyota yesterday trying to see new yaris hatch/sedans. they had ONE hatchback. the cambridge dealer had nothing!

the issue is price. by the time you get into a 5dr LE with a/c, PL, PW, etc you're into a base corolla that has all the same features....you have to WANT a smaller car with less power but better FE
First big mistake is going to a stealership. :-) To me it seems that gas prices in Canada drive a lot of the sales of small cars like the Yaris. I bought my first one purely because of getting a job which required a long commute - and then I got hooked and am on my second one. Great cheap driving.

Brandonboards
04-29-2017, 02:37 PM
Here in Malta they are everywhere!! 2 of every 10 cars are. Vitz (japan imports) I still see a lot of 1st gen on the street, most are 2nd gen like mine and a few are 3rd Gen.

zoidberg444
05-01-2017, 02:24 PM
They are a reasonably common sight in the UK. 1st gen seem to be the most popular. I think the 1st gen was a pretty cutting edge car when it came out. The 1 litre engine had more power and better economy than the VW Polo and the Ford Fiesta which were the main super minis at the time.

MK2's are a fairly regular sight. Most common in gray or red.

MK3's don't seem to have done as well. The Honda Jazz (Fit in other markets) seems to have sold better lately.

DarkShadowFox
07-17-2017, 04:59 AM
I have only seen, one other two door. '15