PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Gen Accessories: Armrest, Dead Pedal, Rear Spoiler?

Lair
04-05-2017, 05:51 PM
I've looked around on the web, but haven't found any definitive answers to my search for a dead pedal or a center console/armrest. Not sure what to do about an SE-type rear spoiler, either. Most of the ones I've seen have been $250+ or look like cheap unpainted crap.

Any help here?

m.flores.0928
04-05-2017, 05:52 PM
I've looked around on the web, but haven't found any definitive answers to my search for a dead pedal or a center console/armrest. Not sure what to do about an SE-type rear spoiler, either. Most of the ones I've seen have been $250+ or look like cheap unpainted crap.

Any help here?

I'm right there with you. I haven't found anything for a console armrest, dead pedal, or SE spoiler for cheap. I would like to know as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lair
04-05-2017, 05:58 PM
I'm right there with you. I haven't found anything for a console armrest, dead pedal, or SE spoiler for cheap. I would like to know as well

I keep propping my right arm up with my hand on the right bottom seat bolster. Today I noticed that the spot is a little lighter than the rest of the seat bottom. Need a place to prop that I can replace after it wears out.

I'm also going to grind a hole in the carpet if I can't find a dead pedal. My first Yaris already had a hole there when I bought it at 75k miles, and my new carpet already looks filthy and matted where the dead pedal should be.

m.flores.0928
04-05-2017, 06:01 PM
I keep propping my right arm up with my hand on the right bottom seat bolster. Today I noticed that the spot is a little lighter than the rest of the seat bottom. Need a place to prop that I can replace after it wears out.

I'm also going to grind a hole in the carpet if I can't find a dead pedal. My first Yaris already had a hole there when I bought it at 75k miles, and my new carpet already looks filthy and matted where the dead pedal should be.

Whatever works, let us know how that works out for you. I would like a dead pedal but I feel like that area isn't big enough. There is sorta kinda a dead pedal thing already there but it's tiny and awkward for me.

ern-diz
04-05-2017, 07:09 PM
I've been thinking about pulling the trigger on the Weathertech floor mats for my car because it looks like it has a faux dead pedal section that creeps up just high enough to cover the spot I've worn into my carpet.

Kalispel
04-05-2017, 07:57 PM
The lack of a footrest/dead-pedal thing bothered me when I first purchased my Yaris, since I was used to driving/sitting in a certain position in my old car (a 2000 Accord). Once I adjusted my sitting/seat position to what is most comfortable in my Yaris, in relation to the positioning of the manual gearbox, my most natural/comfortable position has my left foot resting flat on the floor/carpet in front of my seat when not using the clutch, instead of stretched all out into the footrest area like it was on my Accord.

I also adapted rather quickly to having no armrest in my Yaris, and actually feel that an armrest would be awkwardly in the way on a manual Yaris, due to the positioning of the manual gearbox in relation to the seats, and how I sit comfortably. I found it was both natural-feeling and comfortable to rest my arm on the passenger seat near the gearbox when not shifting. Luckily I'm alone in my car 99.99% of the time, so the passenger front seat is a free-zone. To prevent oils from my skin from discoloring/marking the nice black SE seats, I bought a fluffy/comfy black towel, which I have folded and placed onto the side section of my seat where my arm would rest. It blends into the interior colors of the car seamlessly and is easy enough to remove and wash with my laundry every few months to keep it looking new/clean.

In the crappy, bright-Arizona-sunlight pics below, you can see where the oils from my skin mark the towel where I rest my hand/arm. Time to wash it again soon.

http://i63.tinypic.com/90pp9t.jpg

http://i64.tinypic.com/5ck21d.jpg

m.flores.0928
04-05-2017, 08:21 PM
The lack of a footrest/dead-pedal thing bothered me when I first purchased my Yaris, since I was used to driving/sitting in a certain position in my old car (a 2000 Accord). Once I adjusted my sitting/seat position to what is most comfortable in my Yaris, in relation to the positioning of the manual gearbox, my most natural/comfortable position has my left foot resting flat on the floor/carpet in front of my seat when not using the clutch, instead of stretched all out into the footrest area like it was on my Accord.

I also adapted rather quickly to having no armrest in my Yaris, and actually feel that an armrest would be awkwardly in the way on a manual Yaris, due to the positioning of the manual gearbox in relation to the seats, and how I sit comfortably. I found it was both natural-feeling and comfortable to rest my arm on the passenger seat near the gearbox when not shifting. Luckily I'm alone in my car 99.99% of the time, so the passenger front seat is a free-zone. To prevent oils from my skin from discoloring/marking the nice black SE seats, I bought a fluffy/comfy black towel, which I have folded and placed onto the side section of my seat where my arm would rest. It blends into the interior colors of the car seamlessly and is easy enough to remove and wash with my laundry every few months to keep it looking new/clean.

In the crappy pic below, you can see where the oils from my skin mark the towel where I rest my hand/arm. Time to wash it again soon.

http://i63.tinypic.com/90pp9t.jpg

I can't see the picture

m.flores.0928
04-05-2017, 08:21 PM
I've been thinking about pulling the trigger on the Weathertech floor mats for my car because it looks like it has a faux dead pedal section that creeps up just high enough to cover the spot I've worn into my carpet.

I have Toyota Genuine OEM heavy duty rubber floor mats in my car but they don't cover the dead pedal anywhere

Kalispel
04-05-2017, 08:38 PM
I can't see the picture

Sorry - fixed the pic(s) above so that they should display now.

justanotherdrunk
04-05-2017, 09:09 PM
I also adapted rather quickly to having no armrest in my Yaris

+1

and shes been my daily driver for more than a month now and i dont need an armrest at all

hotracer_05
04-06-2017, 01:03 AM
I bought some 3D mats and really like them. I have the factory rubber ones in my tundra and to be honest im seriously considering tossing them and getting 3Ds for it too lol
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj175/hotracer_05/Sushi%20the%20Yaris/69B2CF4E-B493-41A3-9C37-63776F8457CE_zpskzr2gdfe.jpg

As for the armrest, you can see if you can find out the part number for the backrest frame of the seat, and see if there are any toyotas out there with armrests using the same frame. If there is, buy the corresponding armrest and install it.

NYC-SE
04-06-2017, 01:34 AM
Yeah I thought I would miss the armrest too. It was one of the things that concerned me before I bought the car. But after a week or two of ownership I couldn't care less. Found a comfortable seating position and never missed it.

Lair
04-06-2017, 09:46 AM
I'll copy your towel move if I can't find an armrest.

scratchpaddy
04-06-2017, 10:24 AM
I'll copy your towel move if I can't find an armrest.Throwing in the towel already? :laugh:

The strategy I use for long trips is to stuff a small couch pillow between the seats, and either lay my arm on top, or wedge it in between the pillow and the seats. It's pretty comfortable.

I don't know how any 3rd gen armrest would compare to the 2nd gen, but I was really dissapointed in the stock 2nd gen armrest. It's super flimsy, it fades quickly, and it squeaks, creaks, and rattles. I'd have a really hard time driving a manual car with one of those, too.

kimona
04-06-2017, 11:17 AM
I had the OEM armrest in my 2007 and except for the fading I really liked it. I've been looking for an armrest for my 2014, but have basically given up finding one.

BTW, hotracer 05. those 3D mats look great!

ern-diz
04-06-2017, 11:19 AM
My car didn't have an armrest and it's not a big deal to go without, but I do enjoy the Micro Image armrest I bought sometime later.

Kalispel - if I may ask, how tall are you? I'm 5' 10" and need to have my seat all the way back. It's fine, but I wouldn't mind if it went even farther back. I couldn't imagine sitting closer than the farthest position. In the extremely rare cases of hauling stuff and needing to move my seat forward a bit, I'm hating it the whole time.

stykerdk
04-06-2017, 11:32 AM
I think the only good armrest that is made for 3rd gen is armster, but i dont know if you can get it in the states.
http://dk.rati-shop.com/armster-2?car_brand=126&car_type=313&car_vintage=356&car_product_type=139

NYC-SE
04-06-2017, 12:48 PM
I think the only good armrest that is made for 3rd gen is armster, but i dont know if you can get it in the states.
http://dk.rati-shop.com/armster-2?car_brand=126&car_type=313&car_vintage=356&car_product_type=139

Oh that looks nice! Maybe I do want an armrest after all.

lormagni
04-06-2017, 03:42 PM

I've got the same problem, I drive everyday to work for about 1 hour and half and I can't help placing my hand right there. My seat is becoming lighter too in that area

ern-diz
04-06-2017, 06:58 PM
Yaris owners...

Dodge Aries K
04-06-2017, 07:21 PM
I have the Toyota accessory armrest in my 2014. It doesn't say that it works with the 2015 up interior redesign. Almost tempted to try it but it's a pain to remove.

Also, the rubber mats I got recently from Toyota have a covering where the dead pedal would be.

Lair
04-08-2017, 07:29 PM
I have the Toyota accessory armrest in my 2014. It doesn't say that it works with the 2015 up interior redesign. Almost tempted to try it but it's a pain to remove.

Also, the rubber mats I got recently from Toyota have a covering where the dead pedal would be.

I could be wrong, but I think the 2014 has the same interior as my 2016.

Lair
04-08-2017, 07:32 PM

I want that.

Lair
04-08-2017, 07:33 PM
Yaris owners...
Tell me more.

What is that?

Dodge Aries K
04-08-2017, 10:19 PM
The 2012-14 and 15-17 are different inside although very similar. The center console is a big difference as is the actual dashboard.

mrpj
04-09-2017, 05:45 AM

Do not waste your money! I fitted one to my Mk3 Yaris and although it is of reasonable quality, it makes it difficult to operate the handbrake (parking brake). I suspect it could also interfere with operating a manual gearchange.
It is also too low down to rest one's arm comfortably, even at the highest adjustment. It does hinge up out of the way but not fully - it does not sit vertically in the up position. Sadly that is where mine now permanently sits and not used. It does have useful extra storage though.
Fitting is very easy but does require drilling 3mm holes in the centre console. I don't thing the self tapping screws into thin plastic are are an ideal way of fixing either and will easily fail if not careful when tightening.
The centre console itself is not firmly fixed anyway so the whole assembly can move quite alarmingly.

YarTed
04-09-2017, 11:26 PM
Thanks for the post. I was thinking about getting one.
Great info and covers the problems I was thinking may occur.
I will just forget the thought of an armrest. I am used to it by now, is not a problem

ern-diz
04-10-2017, 12:28 PM
Tell me more.

What is that?

A bad joke lol. Looking at the pics of that aftermarket armrest, I came across that image with the words "turn up" on it, so...

Yaris owners...turn up.

/insert groans here.

DarkShadowFox
04-18-2017, 04:19 PM
https://www.armster.co.uk/product-category/toyota-armster-armrests/?filter_vehicle-model=yaris Armrest.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

DarkShadowFox
07-06-2017, 11:17 AM
I have installed the armster basic for my 2015 yaris LE and i can say its definitely an improvement.

neofitos
07-06-2017, 01:00 PM
i have bought this rrrati armster you are talking about.

just two screws and it holds up very firm.

very satisfied, maybe the best money you can spend for the interior. it adjusts at any place you want and it feels like it came from factory.

i can post some photos later if you like

Kalispel
07-06-2017, 07:28 PM
My car didn't have an armrest and it's not a big deal to go without, but I do enjoy the Micro Image armrest I bought sometime later.

Kalispel - if I may ask, how tall are you? I'm 5' 10" and need to have my seat all the way back. It's fine, but I wouldn't mind if it went even farther back. I couldn't imagine sitting closer than the farthest position. In the extremely rare cases of hauling stuff and needing to move my seat forward a bit, I'm hating it the whole time.

Sorry, never noticed that you asked me a question here. Better late than never! :thumbsup:

I'm 6ft1in ~ 6ft2in /180 lbs - and my seat isn't even in the furthest position in my Yaris. I probably have a weird definition of a comfortable seating position. :laugh: My right knee sits up pretty close to where my key is inserted in the ignition.

Lair
07-06-2017, 09:07 PM
I have installed the armster basic for my 2015 yaris LE and i can say its definitely an improvement.

Do you have a link to the one you purchased? How much was it?

DarkShadowFox
07-06-2017, 09:08 PM
Do you have a link to the one you purchased? How much was it?
Uk armster.

ern-diz
07-07-2017, 11:59 AM
Sorry, never noticed that you asked me a question here. Better late than never! :thumbsup:

I'm 6ft1in ~ 6ft2in /180 lbs - and my seat isn't even in the furthest position in my Yaris. I probably have a weird definition of a comfortable seating position. :laugh: My right knee sits up pretty close to where my key is inserted in the ignition.

Yeah, very different from what I'd call a comfortable seating position. Don't want to stray too far off topic, but it reminds me of the wash bowls at my sister's hair salon. Super comfortable for some, completely uncomfortable for me. Body shape/size has such a big impact on driving position. Also makes me think about how my better half is only 5' 1", but needs to put her car seat back like a gangster in a lowrider. She doesn't look like she's leaning that far back while driving, but I get in her car afterwards and can't see over the dash --and I'm 9" taller than her lol.

DarkShadowFox
09-23-2017, 12:54 PM
Yeah, very different from what I'd call a comfortable seating position. Don't want to stray too far off topic, but it reminds me of the wash bowls at my sister's hair salon. Super comfortable for some, completely uncomfortable for me. Body shape/size has such a big impact on driving position. Also makes me think about how my better half is only 5' 1", but needs to put her car seat back like a gangster in a lowrider. She doesn't look like she's leaning that far back while driving, but I get in her car afterwards and can't see over the dash --and I'm 9" taller than her lol.
there is not exactly a really large amount of space to put a large arm rest. But I mean my armster basic is pretty comfortable tbh.