PDA

View Full Version : How the SE model should have come from the factory

NYC-SE
04-22-2017, 02:35 AM
I'm now at the 3 year mark of my Yaris ownership. Great car. It had almost everything I wanted from the factory but of course there is always room for improvement.

My first mod was the TRD rear sway bar. A definite improvement to handling. Ups the fun factor.

Next I added in mirror turn signals. (Big thank you to CTScott for his help). Just like the rest of the world. Don't understand why these are not mandatory here in the USA. Improves safety and looks good too.

And finally, after 3 years of searching, I found some pedal covers that I liked and that fit a 3rd gen car. (Autobahn Kraftwerk Scion xD model, Part number PTS22-52082). Mostly a cosmetic improvement but they do grip a little better so there is a safety aspect as well.

Now I am done. In my opinion this is how Toyota should have equipped the SE model from the factory.

m.flores.0928
04-22-2017, 04:17 AM
I'm now at the 3 year mark of my Yaris ownership. Great car. It had almost everything I wanted from the factory but of course there is always room for improvement.

My first mod was the TRD rear sway bar. A definite improvement to handling. Ups the fun factor.

Next I added in mirror turn signals. (Big thank you to CTScott for his help). Just like the rest of the world. Don't understand why these are not mandatory here in the USA. Improves safety and looks good too.

And finally, after 3 years of searching, I found some pedal covers that I liked and that fit a 3rd gen car. (Autobahn Kraftwerk Scion xD model, Part number PTS22-52082). Mostly a cosmetic improvement but they do grip a little better so there is a safety aspect as well.

Now I am done. In my opinion this is how Toyota should have equipped the SE model from the factory.

How did you do the signal mirrors??? I've been hunting for this for a while! Thanks, nice set up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NYC-SE
04-22-2017, 05:18 AM
How did you do the signal mirrors??? I've been hunting for this for a while!
It's a bit involved. There is not a pre wired harness to tap into so you have to splice into the body ECU. Also have to order the mirror covers from Japan or Europe as they are not sold here. Details here:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54875

Kalispel
04-22-2017, 12:22 PM
I agree with you 100% NYC-SE - though I would add the OEM exhaust tip to your list, since Toyota cheaped-out on it for the SE starting with the 2015 refresh. :mad:

I also prefer the body-colored shark-fin radio antennae over the stock radio-controlled-car looking plastic screw-on roof antennae. It helps make the SE look even more distinguished, and less economy class. It's one of the first positive things that I noticed on the Toyota iM (plus the nice exhaust tip) when it made its debut - though the lack of OEM fog-lights (or even a dealer option for it) in those huge iM front bumper side housings was UNFORGIVABLE. :thumbdown:

NYC-SE
04-22-2017, 12:27 PM
I agree with you 100% NYC-SE - though I would add the OEM exhaust tip to your list, since Toyota cheaped-out on it for the SE starting with the 2015 refresh. :mad:

I also prefer the body-colored shark-fin radio antennae over the stock radio-controlled-car looking plastic screw-on roof antennae. It helps make the SE look even more distinguished, and less economy class. It's one of the first positive things that I noticed on the Toyota iM (plus the nice exhaust tip) when it made its debut - though the lack of OEM fog-lights (or even a dealer option for it) in those huge front bumper housings was UNFORGIVABLE. :thumbdown:

Luckily my 2014 made the cut for the exhaust tip or else I would have added one as well. I actually like the RC antenna look myself. Different strokes for different folks.

bentjazz
04-27-2017, 05:26 PM
What does the TRD read sway bar do? I've had my Yaris since Dec. 2010 and haven't done any mods. So, I'm not exactly well versed in this subject, but I am interested in what that sway bar accomplishes.
Thanks.

m.flores.0928
04-27-2017, 05:40 PM
What does the TRD read sway bar do? I've had my Yaris since Dec. 2010 and haven't done any mods. So, I'm not exactly well versed in this subject, but I am interested in what that sway bar accomplishes.
Thanks.

Tightens up the suspension, especially in the rear, so there's less body roll when cornering. Gives the car a much more sporty feel.

NYC-SE
04-27-2017, 06:04 PM
Tightens up the suspension, especially in the rear, so there's less body roll when cornering. Gives the car a much more sporty feel.

What he said.

bentjazz
04-28-2017, 02:05 AM
How much would something like that cost? Is it easy to install? Could I put it on my 2010 Yaris?
Thanks.

NYC-SE
04-28-2017, 04:33 AM
Costs about $180 US. Super easy install. 4 bolts. Can be done with car on the ground. Torque wrench needed. Fits every Yaris, yours included.

ncp13
04-28-2017, 05:32 AM
Let me know if you want european rear view mirrors + covers, or anything european in that matter.

bentjazz
04-28-2017, 03:24 PM
Thank you for the information, guys. I really appreciate it.

bentjazz
04-28-2017, 03:30 PM
NYC-SE, maybe you can fly down from NY to Cincy and help me with the installation. I'm slightly remedial when it comes to this kind of thing. :)

It was a MAJOR accomplishment when I changed the headlight in my Yaris.

ern-diz
04-28-2017, 03:39 PM
Not to be a downer, but I would remind everyone that I was considering the rear sway bar for quite some time (TRD and Whiteline), but after hearing Jason's opinion on it, who has extensive experience with these cars where it really counts - the racetrack - I've decided to put the money elsewhere.

Just food for thought; take it for what it's worth.

m.flores.0928
04-28-2017, 03:48 PM
Not to be a downer, but I would remind everyone that I was considering the rear sway bar for quite some time (TRD and Whiteline), but after hearing Jason's opinion on it, who has extensive experience with these cars where it really counts - the racetrack - I've decided to put the money elsewhere.

To be fair, a yaris isn't a track car. It's inherent design doesn't make for a good track car. Most of the weight on the front axle, most of the weight is ahead of the front axle anyway. At the end of the day, if you notice a difference with a sway bar and you like how it feels, that's all that matters, money well spent.

Dabuu
04-28-2017, 05:25 PM

i would still recommend it. all off the shelf lowering springs have weakass spring rates. even though it just stiffens up the torsion beam, i love that it does help the car rotate.

Jason doesnt need it because he's running a billion lb/in rates with shocks that probably cost more than a used yaris. :wub:

A civic isn't a track car either m.f, but i'd like to see you catch a properly tuned econobox on a road course.

m.flores.0928
04-28-2017, 05:28 PM
i would still recommend it. all off the shelf lowering springs have weakass spring rates. even though it just stiffens up the torsion beam, i love that it does help the car rotate.

Jason doesnt need it because he's running a billion lb/in rates with shocks that probably cost more than a used yaris. :wub:

A civic isn't a track car either m.f, but i'd like to see you catch a properly tuned econobox on a road course.

Clarify: the Yaris wasn't designed with track performance in mind. At the end of the day, the Yaris is a simple fuel friendly daily. They have been made fast by tuners and that's great but Toyota's engineers didn't consider that. That's my whole point. Don't get me wrong, we all can make these cars fast and fun, just saying that the engineers and designers were taking a different approach.

NYC-SE
04-28-2017, 05:51 PM
NYC-SE, maybe you can fly down from NY to Cincy and help me with the installation. I'm slightly remedial when it comes to this kind of thing. :)

It was a MAJOR accomplishment when I changed the headlight in my Yaris.

Sure buy me a ticket, lol. If I was nearby I would come over and give you a hand for sure but Cincy is a little too far away.

But seriously it's very simple to do. Just do a search there are plenty of posts here documenting all the steps.

enviri
04-28-2017, 06:09 PM
Here's how it is.

the yaris is designed to replace the starlet, which did have a long life in motorsport in its time.
toyota designed the yaris as a versatile platform for the subcompact class (look at all the cars that the echo shared platforms with) and that included motorsport. The Vitz RS wasnt a simple afterthought from toyota.

Japan has the vitz cup (now netz cup) since 2000.
The cup cars required adding a roll cage , towing hook, 4-point seat belt and other safety equip.
Now you can buy cup cars prebuilt gutted with rollcage etc.

Eventually toyota released a turbo version of that RS trim, for people that want more sportyness. Generations after, toyota made improvements in performance while still keeping it versatile. Looking at the 3rd gen, toyota isn't even shy about bringing out various sport packages overseas, while USA gets shafted.

europe and japan gets a 1.5 turbo 1st gen TS
japan gets a TRD turbo 2nd gen
japan gets a GRMN/G's turbo 3rd gen
Now, europe gets the GRMN 1.8 supercharged basically lifted from a lotus.

what do we get? We got an empty canvas.

OH and another thing, look back to the 20th century and see the struggle of a D15A civic in motorsport!!
If you want to look at a motorsport afterthought, look at a neon srt. lol.

NYC-SE
04-28-2017, 06:13 PM

I think we're comparing apples and oranges. I don't race, never have. I'm not lowered, running coil-overs, racing suspension, etc. I don't have a stripped out interior trying to save every last ounce of weight. If Jason says the rear sway bar has a negative affect in that situation I will certainly believe him as he is the one in that situation.

But to me, running a stock suspension setup, cruising at mostly legal speeds on public roadways, the rear sway bar has a positive affect. Compared to how the car handled before I installed the bar things are definitely improved. Feels much more stable in turns, feels "tighter" on the highway. I won't say night and day different, but how about 8AM -3PM different.

Again this is an otherwise stock Yaris. No one driving it will mistake it for a Porsche, but I maintain that in my driving situation (and I suspect the majority of fellow YW members' situations) the TRD rear sway bar offers a real, positive influence on handling.

enviri
04-28-2017, 06:28 PM
I have lots of fun whipping through saw mill into the henry hudson lol.. wanna have a mini meet across the river in edgewater, nj? :P

m.flores.0928
04-28-2017, 06:30 PM
Here's how it is.

the yaris is designed to replace the starlet, which did have a long life in motorsport in its time.
toyota designed the yaris as a versatile platform for the subcompact class (look at all the cars that the echo shared platforms with) and that included motorsport. The Vitz RS wasnt a simple afterthought from toyota.

Japan has the vitz cup (now netz cup) since 2000.
The cup cars required adding a roll cage , towing hook, 4-point seat belt and other safety equip.
Now you can buy cup cars prebuilt gutted with rollcage etc.

Eventually toyota released a turbo version of that RS trim, for people that want more sportyness. Generations after, toyota made improvements in performance while still keeping it versatile. Looking at the 3rd gen, toyota isn't even shy about bringing out various sport packages overseas, while USA gets shafted.

europe and japan gets a 1.5 turbo 1st gen TS
japan gets a TRD turbo 2nd gen
japan gets a GRMN/G's turbo 3rd gen
Now, europe gets the GRMN 1.8 supercharged basically lifted from a lotus.

what do we get? We got an empty canvas.

OH and another thing, look back to the 20th century and see the struggle of a D15A civic in motorsport!!
If you want to look at a motorsport afterthought, look at a neon srt. lol.

Touché, I didn't know that.

America though didn't get any of those fun variants, which is lame.

Kalispel
04-28-2017, 07:56 PM
I think we're comparing apples and oranges. I don't race, never have. I'm not lowered, running coil-overs, racing suspension, etc. I don't have a stripped out interior trying to save every last ounce of weight. If Jason says the rear sway bar has a negative affect in that situation I will certainly believe him as he is the one in that situation.

But to me, running a stock suspension setup, cruising at mostly legal speeds on public roadways, the rear sway bar has a positive affect. Compared to how the car handled before I installed the bar things are definitely improved. Feels much more stable in turns, feels "tighter" on the highway. I won't say night and day different, but how about 8AM -3PM different.

Again this is an otherwise stock Yaris. No one driving it will mistake it for a Porsche, but I maintain that in my driving situation (and I suspect the majority of fellow YW members' situations) the TRD rear sway bar offers a real, positive influence on handling.

I second that. I immediately noticed the difference in everyday street/HW driving, especially on sharp 90 degree road turns taken with any amount of zeal/spirit. I would also say my car feels better and more stable in high winds (like it was this afternoon here in N. Phoenix!) and highway tracking in general. Plus, the cars feels tighter when taking those sharp curving HW connecting ramps at speed. I feel that I am getting my $200 worth. :thumbsup:

On a side note, i almost crushed my door on those concrete/steel pole pump protectors today at my local Shell station. I went to get out of the car and the really high winds grabbed my door and tried to slam it open to maximum distance - and I barely was able to grab it in time to prevent a huge dent in my door. Pulling it back closed took some effort, and the wimpy plasic inside door handle wasn't enough. I had to grab the metal frame of the door. Close call! :eyebulge:

justanotherdrunk
04-28-2017, 08:17 PM
:biggrin:

https://media.tenor.co/images/2355b48c1d296ee4669a399909459976/tenor.gif

Kalispel
04-28-2017, 08:22 PM
:biggrin:

https://media.tenor.co/images/2355b48c1d296ee4669a399909459976/tenor.gif

That's how I felt today. :laugh:

NYC-SE
04-28-2017, 10:43 PM
I have lots of fun whipping through saw mill into the henry hudson lol.. wanna have a mini meet across the river in edgewater, nj? :P

Sure, but it will have to be a good bit into the future. Limited free time at the moment and for the time to come. Any other Yarisworld members in the area? Might as well make it a party!

enviri
04-29-2017, 03:37 PM
Theres 2 other rs converted gen 2s in northern nj. I might be able to get them in...maybe at least 1

Kalispel
05-04-2017, 12:02 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X44jn7bTl3Q

I was watching some YouTube video of the North American 2018 refresh Yaris @ the 2017 New York auto show and was disappointed (yet again) with some of the decisions Toyota is making with the Yaris in this market - particularly with the SE trim.

- Still no side-mirror turn-signals for 2018 US/NA market - an actual useful passive safety feature for everyone - unlike the active 'Safety-Sense' nonsense they are putting in the car for distracted/dementia drivers.

- Cheap-looking, cut-rate 1990's halogen-bulb version of the new 2018 Yaris tail-lights, unlike the nicer and more visible LED tail-lights being used in other markets.

- Still sporting the cheap-looking/feeling climate-control knobs/dash, instead of the nicer controls you see in the Yaris for other markets.

- A profoundly lackluster gray/silver alloy-wheel design, even compared to the black/silver 2015-2017 alloys (which I have grown to really like on the 2015-2017 SE, strangely enough - especially compared to the new 2018 ones).

- Overdone front 2018 SE headlights that is a contradiction to the rest of the car's cut-rate design decisions in this market, and with silly-looking zig-zagging LED DRL compared to the simple, elegant 'angry brow' 2015-2017 LED DLR version.

- I could go on, but I won't.

As much as I like my current Yaris, I wonder why Toyota even bothers with an SE trim for the US/NA market. It's an afterthought joke compared to what you can get in other markets straight from the factory. :bs: Looks like my only hope for getting another Yaris around 2021 is if I like what the 4th-Gen is offering in terms of styling & features. If not, I sure hope that I like the iM version for that model year.

Ok, I got that off my chest. :barf: I feel better now.

m.flores.0928
05-04-2017, 12:05 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X44jn7bTl3Q

I was watching some YouTube video of the North American 2018 refresh Yaris @ the 2017 New York auto show and was disappointed (yet again) with some of the decisions Toyota is making with the Yaris in this market - particularly with the SE trim.

- Still no side-mirror turn-signals for US/NA market - an actual useful passive safety feature for everyone - unlike the active 'Safety-Sense' nonsense they are putting in the car for distracted/dementia drivers.

- Cheap-looking, cut-rate 1990's halogen bulb version of the new Yaris tail-lights, unlike the nicer and more visible LED taillights being used in other markets.

- Still getting the cheap-looking/feeling climate-control knobs, instead of the nicer controls you see in the Yaris for other markets.

- A lackluster gray/silver alloy-wheel design, even compared to the black/silver 2015-2017 alloys (which I have grown to like, strangely enough - especially compared to the 2018 ones).

- Overdone front SE headlights that is a contradiction to the rest of the car's cut-rate design decisions vs other markets, and with silly-looking zig-zagging LED DRL compared to the simple, elegant 'angry brow' 2015-2017 LED version.

As much as I like my current Yaris, I wonder why Toyota even bothers with an SE trim for the US/NA market. It's a joke compared to what you can get in other markets straight from the factory. :bs: Looks like my only hope for getting another Yaris around 2021 is if I like what the 4th-Gen is offering in terms of styling & features.

Ok, I got that off my chest. :barf:

I agree. I'm baffled as to why the Yaris gets the shit stick in the US market.

davinoft
05-06-2017, 08:40 PM
I had bought Prius c mirrors from junk yard and install on my yaris se.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

NYC-SE
05-06-2017, 10:00 PM
This was my original idea but it turned out that the Prius C mirrors are different than Yaris mirrors. This was discussed here:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53247

How did you get them to fit?

enviri
05-07-2017, 12:11 AM
yeah im not fully into the fact that prius c mirrors don't fit the 3rd gen yaris. The TC2/XB/XD/Corolla&Matrix MY2009ish mirrors are different from yaris 2nd gen too. Seriously, pics are needed. CTScott kinda thought i was crazy plugging the xd mirrors in the yaris with no care in the world before wiring up the lights lol...

stykerdk
05-07-2017, 01:24 AM
You can buy aftermarket models, i found these who will ship to USA.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Side-Mirror-Convex-Primed-LEFT-Fits-TOYOTA-Vitz-Yaris-Yaris-Vitz-2010-/322461057227
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Side-Mirror-Convex-Heated-Primed-RIGHT-Fits-TOYOTA-Vitz-Yaris-Hatchback-2010-/322482404829