PDA

View Full Version : The Plot Thickens

MeepMeep
05-18-2017, 09:15 AM
A few weeks back I posted how my 2017 Yaris SE had the new Toyota Safety Sense (TSS) features that never worked from day one. You must remember that my SE was special ordered with a 5-speed manual and took 9 months to get and the next model year to arrive as I actually ordered a 2016 but it took so long they sent me a 2017. In recent months, the local dealership could not figure out why the auto headlight feature does not activate the hi-beams. Not sure about anti-collision (don't want to test that). Toyota send sent two engineers from Japan and a guy from Texas to where I live (remote Wyoming). The Japanese guys couldn't speak a lick of English. They stayed up until 2am working on the car and could not figure out the issue with all the computers tapping into the system but believe it has something to do with the ECU not recognizing the manual transmission and suspecting the car always thinks its still in PARK. They said my car is the only 2017 manual SE they could find in the US .. wow. They went to Colorado to look at a automatic transmission SE to see how the code responds in comparison to my car. No progress there. Now they contacted my dealership saying they are off to Venezuela, South America as there is a 2017 SE with manual transmission there to study the issue. I knew my "unicorn" was rare but not that rare especially since the Yaris declares the auto transmission as the "option". It will be interesting to find out how Toyota is going to deal with this if it is a major flaw in adding the TSS and not working on manual transmission cars. Seems like Europe would have many manual transmission cars? Why aren't engineers from France directly involved in this? Am I in store for a "buy back" offer since it is a safety system that presents liability to Toyota? Stay tuned.

ern-diz
05-18-2017, 09:59 AM
Wow; that's a trip.

Dodge Aries K
05-18-2017, 10:03 AM
I think Dabuu has a manual transmission 2017 Yaris SE?

ern-diz
05-18-2017, 10:16 AM
I thought Dabuu's was a 2015...

stykerdk
05-18-2017, 10:35 AM
Lots to read here, and yes there must be sold many in europe with manual and safetysense.
http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/foru...-safety-sense/

Dabuu
05-18-2017, 10:58 AM
DAK is correct, mine is a 2017 SE Manual.

NYC-SE
05-18-2017, 11:48 AM
Wow. It probably already cost Toyota more than the price of the car to send tech support out. And still they can't figure it out?

MeepMeep
05-18-2017, 12:04 PM
DAK is correct, mine is a 2017 SE Manual.

Hi Dabuu, does your TSS work ok? Especially the auto headlight beam (AHB).

dogsridewith
05-18-2017, 12:15 PM
A few weeks back I posted how my 2017 Yaris SE had the new Toyota Safety Sense (TSS) features that never worked from day one. You must remember that my SE was special ordered with a 5-speed manual and took 9 months to get and the next model year to arrive as I actually ordered a 2016 but it took so long they sent me a 2017. In recent months, the local dealership could not figure out why the auto headlight feature does not activate the hi-beams. Not sure about anti-collision (don't want to test that). Toyota send sent two engineers from Japan and a guy from Texas to where I live (remote Wyoming). The Japanese guys couldn't speak a lick of English. They stayed up until 2am working on the car and could not figure out the issue with all the computers tapping into the system but believe it has something to do with the ECU not recognizing the manual transmission and suspecting the car always thinks its still in PARK. They said my car is the only 2017 manual SE they could find in the US .. wow. They went to Colorado to look at a automatic transmission SE to see how the code responds in comparison to my car. No progress there. Now they contacted my dealership saying they are off to Venezuela, South America as there is a 2017 SE with manual transmission there to study the issue. I knew my "unicorn" was rare but not that rare especially since the Yaris declares the auto transmission as the "option". It will be interesting to find out how Toyota is going to deal with this if it is a major flaw in adding the TSS and not working on manual transmission cars. Seems like Europe would have many manual transmission cars? Why aren't engineers from France directly involved in this? Am I in store for a "buy back" offer since it is a safety system that presents liability to Toyota? Stay tuned.
This is huge. Well written. Should be sent as a letter-to-editor to Ward's, Autoweek, everyone. Why I like this base 2007 option free Yaris...only hatchback in the county w/o rear wiper/washer/defroster. And really like a pre-electronics Chevy w/ minimal emissions and safety attachments.
There's likely darn little French about that car except where it is assembled... and maybe a few parts-- all designed in Japan and made w/ Japanese robots and special machinery. (Yes, some body styling done other places, including CA, USA?)
Dad liked shifting and needed A/C to keep fresh in a suit. So special ordered a circa 73 Chevy Nova (post classic, w/ emissions and park-by-ear "5 mph"bumpers and...)w/ A/C and a three on the floor manual. Drove and held up well enough, but couldn't be had w/ less than an EGR pumped 350 (5.7 liter) engine. Got about 10 mpg, and he just drove normal w/ plenty of highway miles.)
Them boys are sweating...if Hal is doing this thing we don't understand, what else might it do? In our whole product line?

Dabuu
05-18-2017, 02:21 PM
To tell you the truth, I don't know.

I turned everything off the first day I got it because I didn't care for it.

As for the AHB, most of my driving is commuting to work in the Los Angeles region, so I will never have an opportunity to use it.

If i have time tonight, I'll see if I can try it on the driveway with my other car acting as an on coming vehicle.

toad
05-18-2017, 10:11 PM
Wow! That's all I can say...wow!

justanotherdrunk
05-19-2017, 12:32 AM
cool story

staying tuned

:thumbsup:

Kalispel
05-19-2017, 08:29 PM
The joys of over-engineered cars and tech-bloat.

I was reading on some 2014+ Corolla forums how quite a few owners have experienced 'reboot-loop failure' with their enTune head-units shortly after warranty has expired (of course), and Toyota insists it cannot be flashed/fixed on a firmware/software level and needs complete hardware replacement - to the order of around $1800 or so out-of-pocket for the owners. Awesome, eh? I believe that the Yaris is due for the enTune version head-unit in 2018 (not sure if that's SE only or for all trims). Fun fun.

ern-diz
05-19-2017, 09:11 PM
The joys of over-engineered cars and tech-bloat.

I was reading on some 2014+ Corolla forums how quite a few owners have experienced 'reboot-loop failure' with their enTune head-units shortly after warranty has expired (of course), and Toyota insists it cannot be flashed/fixed on a firmware/software level and needs complete hardware replacement - to the order of around $1800 or so out-of-pocket for the owners. Awesome, eh? I believe that the Yaris is due for the enTune version head-unit in 2018 (not sure if that's SE only or for all trims). Fun fun.

I'm not sure it's as much about tech as it is cheap tech. Technology will always present some challenges, but that's no reason to abandon it or we'd all still be hunter gatherers lol. I have to assume that the tech going into more expensive cars is significantly better. Like with anything, you get what you pay for. If I were an auto manufacturer, I would leave the tech for the higher class lines and leave the lower lines a little more bare bones. People shopping for the lower class vehicles are typically looking for lower cost anyway.

Kaotic Lazagna
05-20-2017, 02:07 AM
The MY 17 Yaris comes with Toyota Safety Sense C. The PCS (pre collision system) only works from 7 to 55 mph, and does not detect pedestrians in TSS-C. TSS-P's version of PCS works between 7 to 110 mph. Have you checked the sensitivity setting? PCS is also one of the features you most likely not see working until it has to (just like air bags). I've only ever had it go into stage 1 (telling you to brake) three times, and I drive cars equipped with TSS-P and TSS-C 5 to 6 days of the week. I've only every experienced stage 2, the actual full force braking, in a controlled environment (at a Toyota training session), and have never had it go to stage 2 on the streets. Furthermore, any input by the driver will cancel PCS. That means any steering input, throttle application, or braking will turn off PCS for that event.

LDA (lane departure alert) will only work at 32 mph or more, AND if the car's camera can clearly see the lines on the road. TSS-C does not have have steering assist, so it will only notify you of crossing the line, and will not guide you back into your lane.

AHB (automatic high beams) will only work at speeds greater than 25 mph and without any cars present in very low lighting. If the camera detects any bright light source, even a street light, it will revert back to your low beams. I can't remember if the Yaris has an AHB button that has to be depressed to activate AHB.

justanotherdrunk
05-20-2017, 12:04 PM
The MY 17 Yaris comes with Toyota Safety Sense C. The PCS (pre collision system) only works from 7 to 55 mph, and does not detect pedestrians in TSS-C. TSS-P's version of PCS works between 7 to 110 mph. Have you checked the sensitivity setting? PCS is also one of the features you most likely not see working until it has to (just like air bags). I've only ever had it go into stage 1 (telling you to brake) three times, and I drive cars equipped with TSS-P and TSS-C 5 to 6 days of the week. I've only every experienced stage 2, the actual full force braking, in a controlled environment (at a Toyota training session), and have never had it go to stage 2 on the streets. Furthermore, any input by the driver will cancel PCS. That means any steering input, throttle application, or braking will turn off PCS for that event.

LDA (lane departure alert) will only work at 32 mph or more, AND if the car's camera can clearly see the lines on the road. TSS-C does not have have steering assist, so it will only notify you of crossing the line, and will not guide you back into your lane.

AHB (automatic high beams) will only work at speeds greater than 25 mph and without any cars present in very low lighting. If the camera detects any bright light source, even a street light, it will revert back to your low beams. I can't remember if the Yaris has an AHB button that has to be depressed to activate AHB.

wow great info

makes me wanna go swap my 16 for a 17 just for fun :drool:

NYC-SE
05-20-2017, 12:16 PM
Makes me glad I have a 14.

Dabuu
05-25-2017, 11:24 AM
I'm now working with TMS on this issue, they contacted me today. I'll keep you guys in the loop.

hotracer_05
05-25-2017, 12:09 PM
Subed like a sandwich, curious to see what they figure out

ern-diz
05-25-2017, 12:39 PM
This is so crazy. It's a fairly big story.

MeepMeep
05-25-2017, 03:11 PM
Just got a call from Toyota. One of the Japanese guys plus two from California flew out to Wyoming on Tuesday. They determined that the wiring harness in the car is for an automatic transmission and is missing the needed wires from the camera for the manual to tell the ECU that the car is in motion. This occurred because my special ordered SE with manual transmission was originally an automatic that the assembly plant in France pulled off the line and dropped a manual into it not knowing that not just the ECU has to be changed AND the wiring harness. I got to think someone in France is at the other end of an ass chewing. LOL. They ordered the proper harness and my unicorn will be back on the rode shortly. :thumbup:

WeeYari
05-25-2017, 03:14 PM
Wow! Excellent! A nightmare for you but an interesting situation for the rest of us to follow.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk

justanotherdrunk
05-25-2017, 05:41 PM
amazing that the already super rare yaris is available at all in a manual

ern-diz
05-25-2017, 07:18 PM
amazing that the already super rare yaris is available at all in a manual

Well, from a Meep's car perspective, it kinda wasn't lol.

Captain Yaris
05-25-2017, 07:57 PM
What an awesome story! I would never get rid of that car. You're building great history.

Kaotic Lazagna
05-25-2017, 11:36 PM
Glad everything was sorted out.

Dabuu
05-26-2017, 11:01 AM
Glad they solved it Meep!

Looks like my vehicle has the same issue. I verified last night at a local canyon road, and with the AHB symbol lit up on the dash, the High Beams never activated.

I'll be handing my car over to them next week for further verification/parts ordering.

dogsridewith
05-26-2017, 11:48 AM
So some mobile assembly robot had a wild weekend and grabbed harness from the wrong bin for this Monday car...interesting all this human travel before alternate harness/open connectors possibility was communicated.

Dabuu
05-30-2017, 05:16 PM
Dropped off my vehicle with TMS. It's the same issue as Meep's, wrong wire harness.

Dodge Aries K
05-30-2017, 10:11 PM
Wow, that's embarassing. How did they put the wrong harness into these cars?