PDA

View Full Version : 3rd gen indicator relay - is that built into the instrument cluster?

eeeeeh
09-07-2017, 11:22 PM
Hi all, newbie here, with a 2013 RHD Yaris (3rd gen) manual from Down Under.

I'm looking to replace the indicator bulbs (4 corners, not the side repeater) with LED, but so far digging through various forums only the 1st and 2nd gen Yaris has the turn indicator relay hiding on the left near the knee area. Saw another thread here that says in order to eliminate the hyper flash scenario after changing to LED, you must install resistor to each side of the car.

Can anyone second that? Is that my only option? thanks in advance.

kevinj93
09-08-2017, 03:34 AM
Yes, you either need to replace the flasher unit with one designed for LEDs, or you need to add a suitable resistor to each side of the car to simulate the load of the standard turn signal globes.

The flasher unit is designed to flash quickly if there is not a sufficient current draw when the lights operate. The idea is that the fast flashing will alert the driver that a globe is not working.

The standard globes are 21 watts each, so there needs to be about a 3.5 amp current drain to simulate the globes. You would need a very hefty resistor of about 3.5 ohms to simulate the correct current drain. It also needs to be able to handle the intermittent 40+ watts of power dissipation.

I'm not sure where the relay is located. Hopefully someone else can answer.

NYC-SE
09-08-2017, 06:26 AM
There is no relay. The turn signals are driven from the instrument panel in the 3rd gen cars.

DarkShadowFox
09-08-2017, 08:46 AM
you cant every light in that panel is sodered on and stuck to the board with a giant piece of plastic behind it.

here if you need an entirely new assembly go here;

https://parts.camelbacktoyota.com/parts/?action=&siteid=214329&make=Toyota&model=

kevinj93
09-08-2017, 05:32 PM
Yes, I have to agree with NYC-SE.

I just looked up the wiring diagram, and the blinkers are controlled by the instrument panel CPU. Thanks to DarkShadowFox for putting the manual online.

Search eBay for "turn signal led resistor" to find the resistors to wire across the LEDs if you still want to fit them.

eeeeeh
09-09-2017, 01:07 PM
Thanks all for the replies. Yes, looks like I'll have to get couple of resistors and splice the wire. Assuming I only need one for each side, there shouldn't be any difference if I put in the front or the back? (Back would be inside the plastic combo-light housing which I think the resistor/heatsink might get a bit hot; while the front would be in the engine compartment which is more ventilated).

kevinj93
09-09-2017, 09:39 PM
The ones I saw came as a set of 4, one for each light. I doubt there would be any heat problems, as the resistors would only be drawing power when you are using the blinkers. Even then, only while the light is actually alight. Consider that the normal globe get hot enough to glow, The resistor is not going to get anywhere near that hot.

eeeeeh
09-09-2017, 10:26 PM
Thanks kevinj93. My thoughts were that the original globe would be mounted and secured inside the light housing and isolated from any dangling wires; whereas if I'm to put the resistor outside the housing then there are many other wires to deal with (brake, reverse, cam, etc..). But you're right, it should only get warm to hot when the blinkers are in operation, perhaps I can do some handyman work and cut up a beer can as a heat shield or something. :)

eeeeeh
09-28-2017, 05:24 AM
Got this done finally... Got 4 LED indicator lights for each corner that's super bright... and ended up mounting the 2 resistors inside the combo light at the back (drilled a small hole and mounted the resistor onto the frame of the car). Decided against mounting the resistors in the front as the front lights are mostly plastic mounts.

Now my indicators gives off a very "sharp" blink (as do all LEDs). Super happy. Thanks all for chiming in.

gammarco
11-05-2020, 05:58 AM
There is no relay. The turn signals are driven from the instrument panel in the 3rd gen cars.

Hello NYC-SE, I have a 2018 Yaris Hybrid. I'm dealing with LED turn signals hyper flashing. Do you think that it's possible to disable it through OBD2 port and Tech Stream GTS software? I don't want to use resistors! Thanks

...searching the net I found that on Ford Mustang it's possible using FORScan...

mitch9521
11-05-2020, 02:08 PM
Why have people been bumping old threads lately?

NYC-SE
11-05-2020, 02:53 PM
Hello NYC-SE, I have a 2018 Yaris Hybrid. I'm dealing with LED turn signals hyper flashing. Do you think that it's possible to disable it through OBD2 port and Tech Stream GTS software? I don't want to use resistors! Thanks

...searching the net I found that on Ford Mustang it's possible using FORScan...

I have no idea, but my gut says no. Sorry.

gammarco
11-06-2020, 09:56 AM
I have no idea, but my gut says no. Sorry.

Ok, thanks. I will find a solution with no resistors, one day...or maybe it's easier buying a new car with led blinkers!

bob225
11-10-2020, 01:43 PM
Swapped to LEDs I take it, buy some decent canbus LED's - avoiding tat from China

Simples