PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Recon

fujiwaru
10-18-2017, 05:25 AM
Recon inspector failed me on my stickers on my rear side windows and front suspension for being too stiff with the BC Coilovers even with the softest damping setting. I swear this is what he said to me "see the back, bouncy bouncy, the front, no bouncy." like wtf? Is that how you determine if the suspension is good? I'm sure there are other cars with stock suspension that are stiffer than mine (like my dad's vette).

I was thinking of putting the stock suspension up front since the inspector didn't even bother to look behind the wheel to really see my coilovers installed :iono: or I could buy softer springs, but shipping alone wouldn't be enough time since my alignment period for recon is pretty much done at the end of the week so i'm out of luck with this.

It's such a hassle to get recon but then again i'm one to follow the rules so I still might go through with this even if that means wasting money getting another alignment done :thumbdown:

NYC-SE
10-18-2017, 01:02 PM
Recon?

joell
10-18-2017, 02:08 PM
So any modifications made to the car needs to pass a Reconstructed Vehicle Inspection ?

tmontague
10-18-2017, 02:42 PM
For an inspection that seems so specific, bouncing a vehicle with one's body weight to determine a pass/fail is horribly unscientific or specific

Just throw the oem fronts back in, pass the inspection and then go back to your CO's

fujiwaru
10-20-2017, 02:22 AM
So any modifications made to the car needs to pass a Reconstructed Vehicle Inspection ?

Yeah it's a stupid law we have here in Hawaii. Basically to "legally" drive your car on the road and "legally" pass a safety check (separate from recon) you need to have a reconstruction permit. There are some exceptions on what can be done but most has to do with the car's integrity and handling. Lifting or lowering is the main reason people get recon.

For an inspection that seems so specific, bouncing a vehicle with one's body weight to determine a pass/fail is horribly unscientific or specific

Just throw the oem fronts back in, pass the inspection and then go back to your CO's

My thoughts exactly. The inspection calls out specifically for 2 inches of suspension travel where the inspector basically pushes down on the car and does a visual check. When the inspector checked my rear suspension, there was no way my car had 2 inches of travel but yet he said it was good. The front on the other hand didn't pass his version of the visual test.

I just might go the route of throwing the stock suspension on just to get the sticker.

Tebypoeno
10-27-2017, 05:16 PM
So majority of the people here passed recon with your coilovers? Just wondering, for the people that passed the bounce test, what is your spring rate for your coils?

fujiwaru
11-05-2017, 06:58 PM
So majority of the people here passed recon with your coilovers? Just wondering, for the people that passed the bounce test, what is your spring rate for your coils?

Not much of the Hawaii members here on the form are as active nowadays but from previous posts, most ran airbags and passed, or didn't care for recon and just threw on stock suspensions just to pass a yearly safety check.

I had 5k front and 3k springs rear.

bradbowl
05-17-2018, 03:11 AM
I swear this is what he said to me "see the back, bouncy bouncy, the front, no bouncy."

That is definitely local style. :thumbdown:

Hope you got it taken care of!

dogsridewith
05-17-2018, 08:19 AM
maybe all the ricey stickers initiated the bouncy-bouncy test routine