PDA

View Full Version : how to replace original brake light with LED?

eeeeeh
10-18-2017, 10:25 AM
Hi there, just wondering if anyone has done the conversion of original brake light (dual filament) with LED. I have already replaced the indicators, reverse lights, and all interiors, and want to complete the project by replacing the brake lights. As you might know the original bulb is dual filament and therefore, two different currents would go through the bulb. With LED pulling in so little power I've read that current would back-feed through the low-beam light and turns on other lights. I'm assuming I'd need to fit some diode in-line to prevent back-feeding power, but I'm unsure what diode to get nor the fitting of it.

Would appreciate if anyone has that knowledge can chime in. Thanks in advance.

m.flores.0928
10-18-2017, 01:40 PM
Hi there, just wondering if anyone has done the conversion of original brake light (dual filament) with LED. I have already replaced the indicators, reverse lights, and all interiors, and want to complete the project by replacing the brake lights. As you might know the original bulb is dual filament and therefore, two different currents would go through the bulb. With LED pulling in so little power I've read that current would back-feed through the low-beam light and turns on other lights. I'm assuming I'd need to fit some diode in-line to prevent back-feeding power, but I'm unsure what diode to get nor the fitting of it.

Would appreciate if anyone has that knowledge can chime in. Thanks in advance.

Sylvania brand. Go for those. My car uses 7443 bulb number for the brake light, which is a dual filament bulb. 7440 is the single filament version of that bulb. Search “sylvania LED 7443” on Amazon and find a red colored one. Even though my car has a red tinted lens on the housing for the brake light, if you get a white color 7443 bulb, it may not look red on the streets especially at night with an LED being as bright as they are. Plug and play install, no extra wiring needed, works great, no issue. You might have luck finding that bulb at a car parts store though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eeeeeh
10-20-2017, 01:55 AM
thanks m.flores.0928. will look that up locally and see if I can get the same. But easier for me would be the diode solution as that's much cheaper too... :)

Justhandguns
10-20-2017, 04:57 AM
I think is quite a bit complicated if you want to DIY. You may need a couple of resistors and you must know the CANBUS system with the lights then. I tried to replace non-CANBUS LED bulbs and kept on having warning lights coming on until I switch to the branded LEDs from Osram/Philips. I don't know much about electronics but you should easily find some circuit diagrams about CANBUS duel filament bulbs online.

IllusionX
10-20-2017, 07:07 AM
I think is quite a bit complicated if you want to DIY. You may need a couple of resistors and you must know the CANBUS system with the lights then. I tried to replace non-CANBUS LED bulbs and kept on having warning lights coming on until I switch to the branded LEDs from Osram/Philips. I don't know much about electronics but you should easily find some circuit diagrams about CANBUS duel filament bulbs online.There is no canbus on the Yaris AFAIK

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Justhandguns
10-20-2017, 11:08 AM
There is no canbus on the Yaris AFAIK

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Oh really! That is interesting, then it must be something other than CANBUS giving me the panel errors/ problems then.

eeeeeh
10-21-2017, 02:57 AM
thanks @Justhandguns and @IllusionX. I have spare resistors lying around and don't think that helps with the LED brake lights. I just tested it and here are the results:

-- LED brake light on one side only, when I turn on the low beam, the LED would light up full-power. When I step on brake it would not make any brightness difference (so it is lit up).

-- If I turn off the low beam and step on brake, it would also go on full-power. BUT at the same time the low beam (and dash lights) would light up. This is why I think it is back-feeding power back to the low beam circuit, hence, my original hypothesis might be right where I'd need some diode to prevent this from happening.

-- I have also tested putting a resistor between brake and ground (LED brake light wires), which did nothing and arrived at the same result as above. I repeated the same test with resistor between low-beam and ground (LED brake light wires) and again, same result as above.

-- Previously when I replaced the indicator lights with LED I added the resistors in, and did not trigger any dash error lights.

Hmm.... more tests to be done.

Bluevitz-rs
10-21-2017, 09:35 AM
I don't have any issues with my Philips LED tail/brake lights. They're super bright too. They can however be installed backwards.

m.flores.0928
10-23-2017, 01:59 PM
Sylvania brand. Go for those. My car uses 7443 bulb number for the brake light, which is a dual filament bulb. 7440 is the single filament version of that bulb. Search “sylvania LED 7443” on Amazon and find a red colored one. Even though my car has a red tinted lens on the housing for the brake light, if you get a white color 7443 bulb, it may not look red on the streets especially at night with an LED being as bright as they are. Plug and play install, no extra wiring needed, works great, no issue. You might have luck finding that bulb at a car parts store though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quoting myself here. I have a US-spec LE trim model. I've had zero issues with LED brake lights for the last year. No resistors needed, no extra wiring, no other modifications, nothing. Just get reputable LED bulbs for the appropriate sockets and throw them in. No problems.

The brake light circuits are good for 5 amps (refer to the fuse panels to verify, I could be wrong) the LEDs are usually between 1.5 - 2.0 watts, which is no more than 0.2 amps at 12 volts... no resistors needed.

Turn signals, however, resistors are needed with LED bulbs otherwise you get hyperflash. That retrofit is easy though. 2/10 difficulty, easy DIY in 30 minutes or less. I've done full LED conversion on all my bulbs. Headlights, fog lights, signals, reverse, brake lights, miscellaneous marker lights, I've had no issues aside from shitty cheap bulbs flickering on me.

Good LEDs aren't cheap, especially headlights. Don't buy cheap Amazon/Ebay LEDs by brands that aren't big name, they don't last long.

I recommend Sylvania LEDs. You can find them at autoparts stores as well as Amazon, etc.

As for headlights, I recommend headlightrevolution.com (http://headlightrevolution.com) (warning: NOT cheap at all, but they ARE worth it)

eeeeeh
10-25-2017, 09:17 PM
thanks @m.flores.0928! with the exception to headlights (i'm sticking with bright halogen for legality reason) I was planning to change all bulbs to LED. I've done all with the exception to brake lights. even on other car makers forums i've not seen many having successfully converted it over to LED by adding diode, so sounds as though I'm going to head down your path of finding the right "good" quality LEDs. :D

hairygityeti
10-26-2017, 10:33 PM
Cool i might do mine,been thinking about it!

Justhandguns
10-27-2017, 06:14 AM
I have switch my sidelight/DRL to Osram LEDriving Premium 580, which is excellent, although it says Off-Road Only in the UK? I may switch them back when I have the MOT I guess. Am I correct that out Gen3's have LED top braking strips?

P.S. I think the UK DVLA should really update their regulations regarding LEDs (and ban those stupidly bright HIDs on the road).

hairygityeti
10-27-2017, 08:09 PM
I have switch my sidelight/DRL to Osram LEDriving Premium 580, which is excellent, although it says Off-Road Only in the UK? I may switch them back when I have the MOT I guess. Am I correct that out Gen3's have LED top braking strips?

P.S. I think the UK DVLA should really update their regulations regarding LEDs (and ban those stupidly bright HIDs on the road).

I hate HIDs ....STAY AWAY FROM THE BRIGHT LIGHT! ....too bright for urban use and only dazzle people.