PDA

View Full Version : Is MP3 AUX Jack Grounded properly?

iseraph7
05-31-2006, 10:26 AM
Is MP3 AUX Jack Grounded properly? I notice a popping noise in between tracks when playing MP3s from may Sansa e250, only in the car though.

Idjiit
05-31-2006, 10:38 AM
No problems with my iPod.

iseraph7
05-31-2006, 10:46 AM
yeah I have no problems outside my Yaris, MP3 player has flawless sound outside the Yaris.

Uglyboyed
05-31-2006, 11:47 AM
work perfect with my ipod. (a whole lot better than using crappy fm transmitters)

iseraph7
05-31-2006, 11:57 AM
had an ipod nano it did the same thing

xenoxaos
07-01-2006, 09:12 AM
I had the same problem, and my guess is it was from ground loop interference. Mine would only do the popping noises and such when it was also being powered from the 12v plug, and when I unplugged it, all the noise and interference went away. Since then, I've gotten a Harman Kardon Drive+Play, and have not had that problem, and love the unit.

Chris07LB
07-01-2006, 09:48 AM
No problems with my iPod.

Me either. Sounds perfect.

xenoxaos
07-01-2006, 11:54 AM
Me either. Sounds perfect.

Do you run yours off of its own battery, or do you plug it into the cig. outlet?

Chris07LB
07-01-2006, 01:37 PM
Do you run yours off of its own battery, or do you plug it into the cig. outlet?

Off its battery.

xenoxaos
07-01-2006, 06:16 PM
Off its battery.

Thats why there is no intereference. When there are two grounds, ie the power from the cig outlet and the audio ground that theoretically are supposed to be the same then there's no problems. But, in the real world, there is slight variations between them and the stereo thinks this is just what it's supposed to sound like and amplifies it.

Chris07LB
07-01-2006, 06:33 PM
Thats why there is no intereference. When there are two grounds, ie the power from the cig outlet and the audio ground that theoretically are supposed to be the same then there's no problems. But, in the real world, there is slight variations between them and the stereo thinks this is just what it's supposed to sound like and amplifies it.

Ah, I hear you. I just set the iPod on its craddle once I get home anyway. No need for a charger in the car for me. :smile:

pauljk
07-02-2006, 11:42 AM
I have something strange as well - but not popping. When charging with my Monster charger, I hear high pitched, modulating sounds while playing iPod. The first time I noticed, the iPod was fully charged, and it only made the noise when the iPod display light was off. But if the iPod is charging, it makes the noise regardless.

Unplugging the charger kills the noise, and the sound is great. I wonder if this is a problem with only certain chargers? Anybody got a charger that doesn't get any noises, etc. while charging?

Paul

fnkngrv
07-02-2006, 11:58 AM
I have a dell dj20....I will let you know if mine shows issues.

slvryaris
07-02-2006, 01:22 PM
I have no problems with my IPod Nano. I got the gold plate Aux cord from Radio Shack for like 11 dollars and no popping or cracking out of mine.

fnkngrv
07-02-2006, 10:31 PM
The gold contacts are prolly what is doing the trick. I have gold too and after testing mine is fine....only thing is the DJ20 doesn't have a very high output (to prevent hearing loss with headphones) so I have to turn it all the way up and then the headunit all the way up to really hear ir decent at highway speeds with the windows down.

IsLNdbOi
09-02-2006, 02:15 AM
The popping noise issue is a known problem with Sansa MP3 players themselves. Google it. There are many posts in Sansa forums about it.

mike.bortner
07-16-2009, 05:37 PM
I was getting noise from my Aux port but I added an noise filter to take the noise out. I haven't had a problem since. I leave my Zune in my car all the time so I charge it in the car. The filter I use was PAC Ground Loop Isolator SNI-1/3.5

talnlnky
07-16-2009, 05:51 PM
I had the same problem, and my guess is it was from ground loop interference. Mine would only do the popping noises and such when it was also being powered from the 12v plug, and when I unplugged it, all the noise and interference went away. Since then, I've gotten a Harman Kardon Drive+Play, and have not had that problem, and love the unit.

you can't get a ground loop from something that runs off of DC (portable device) and is separated from the circuit. If you power your mp3 player via the cig lighter thats a different story.. but you didn't mention that.

You could have a bad connection/ground internally on the mp3 player... which is just as likely, if not more likely than the toyota having the bad ground.

Your signal is being amplified a huge amount... so it's prolly the mp3 player, and normally you just don't notice the pop.