PDA

View Full Version : air conditioning

markpeppie
05-31-2006, 04:22 PM
have a yaris sedan aero ,,,,,,,,,is it me or does the ac work like shit??? maybe i'am just overreacting!!!

David81
05-31-2006, 04:25 PM
I hope it works good, cause i bought a yaris sedan aero also and i added ac for like 1500.

I'll know how the ac is once i get my car

stuffy
05-31-2006, 04:26 PM
the a/c on mine doesn't feel super-cold, but i think it works fine, the one thing i am happy about is that it doesn't put a big drain on the small engine.
my old car was terrible, as soon as i turned on the a/c, the engine just bogged down.

markpeppie
05-31-2006, 04:31 PM
my old car was a 99 accord 2.2 L it seemed like the car would really cold, which i liked, should i have the dealer check it out???

swng
05-31-2006, 05:42 PM
It is nice to find out that some members are sharing their experience about the Yaris' A/C here.
I have an RS hatchback. My A/C is switched on these days most of the time. I agree it is not super strong but given time, it can cool the car down. I remember that the car's manual has suggested something like running the car with the windows open for a few minutes if the car's interior is very hot, like it has been parked under the sun. The manual has also advised to use the recirculated air instead of fresh air position of the air intake selector knob if fast cooling is desired. I would personally suggest to remember to switch back to fresh air later.
I usually turn the fan speed to at least level 3 at the first few minutes when the A/C is switched on and then turn it down to level 2 for quietness. Also, I would switch the air flow knob to the panel position. At that position, cold air is blown out from both the centre and the side vents.
Recently, I have purchased a sun shade at around Cdn $12 which I can put under the windshield after I have parked to prevent the sun from heating up the interior too much.
With all these measures, I believe I can help my car's A/C do its job without overworking itself. When it works comfortably, I save some fuel and the sun shade's cost will be compensated by the saving in fuel costs over a long time:smile:.
More information can be found in P.157-167 of the car's manual.

foober
05-31-2006, 09:20 PM
I've found that with the black front dash the car is continually drawing heat into it. So I bought a grayish dash mat. But it hasn't gotten here yet for me to see if that helps. But the black front dash really does seem to heat the car up and its a battle between that and the air conditioner to try and cool the car down.

markpeppie
05-31-2006, 09:29 PM
where did you order the mat? what does it look like?

YotaYarisUSA
05-31-2006, 09:33 PM
Well,I think the ac is ok,I put it on 4 and it keeps me cool enough I suppose. Also, I got a sun shade to put in ,to cool the car and protect it while I'm at work or what ever.

I wouldn't say the ac was sh##,after all it is a smaller car,and its good to have an ac that is not going to hurt the engine or use up more gas.

Have a greay day and have fun with your Yaris!

YotaYarisUSA

foober
05-31-2006, 09:39 PM
where did you order the mat? what does it look like?

Here's the webpage. http://www.autobarn.net/ordasdascov.html Go down the page and go to (Click here to order a Dashmat Dashboard Cover for your vehicle). And it will walk you through how to order the mat. I tried other dash mat sites but none of them had one for a yaris as of yet. This one supposedly does.

markpeppie
05-31-2006, 09:59 PM
thanks great website, just ordered one!!

swng
05-31-2006, 10:36 PM
Please post again to report the effectiveness of the cover when you have it. I may need one too. Thanks!

eight_heads
06-01-2006, 12:30 AM
yeah, i'd like to know as well... it's pretty hot here most of the year round in Louisiana, US

swng
06-01-2006, 01:21 AM
Just wish to emphasize that my A/C is in fact O.K. However, if something not too costly can reduce the burden of my A/C, I would like to consider it because reduced workload for the A/C will mean less fuel consumption and less maintenance. In the long run, I may even save some money. In other words, the item will pay for itself. It will take a very long time to achieve that though.

Dylanby
06-01-2006, 09:09 AM
Just wish to emphasize that my A/C is in fact O.K. However, if something not too costly can reduce the burden of my A/C, I would like to consider it because reduced workload for the A/C will mean less fuel consumption and less maintenance. In the long run, I may even save some money. In other words, the item will pay for itself. It will take a very long time to achieve that though.

Do you have your windows tinted? Even a 50% tint (50% light transmission) should cut the heat by about 40% (less while parked in the sun).

Ziv
06-01-2006, 09:43 AM
It is nice to find out that some members are sharing their experience about the Yaris' A/C here.
I have an RS hatchback. My A/C is switched on these days most of the time. I agree it is not super strong but given time, it can cool the car down. I remember that the car's manual has suggested something like running the car with the windows open for a few minutes if the car's interior is very hot, like it has been parked under the sun. The manual has also advised to use the recirculated air instead of fresh air position of the air intake selector knob if fast cooling is desired. I would personally suggest to remember to switch back to fresh air later.
I usually turn the fan speed to at least level 3 at the first few minutes when the A/C is switched on and then turn it down to level 2 for quietness. Also, I would switch the air flow knob to the panel position. At that position, cold air is blown out from both the centre and the side vents.
Recently, I have purchased a sun shade at around Cdn $12 which I can put under the windshield after I have parked to prevent the sun from heating up the interior too much.
With all these measures, I believe I can help my car's A/C do its job without overworking itself. When it works comfortably, I save some fuel and the sun shade's cost will be compensated by the saving in fuel costs over a long time:smile:.
More information can be found in P.157-167 of the car's manual.

Same here. I found the A/C good but not great. For sure its much better on a full side sedan (such as an accord).
I use the same method of turning it on 3 for few minutes and reduce that to 2. I found 2 is 'cooler' than 3 with time, 3 is just to get rid of all the hot air within the car. And yes, if you know you will be at your destination soon, turn off the A/C for about a few minutes and let the fan run for a bit. Without letting the fans goes on for a bit before you shut down your car, you could get a weird smell next time you start the car.

why?
06-01-2006, 11:32 AM
The first time I tried to turn on the a/c I hit the rear defroster button instead. lol.

But when I figured out to turn it on right it worked pretty good.

David81
06-01-2006, 04:06 PM
I'm getting my car hopefully today. 30 more min till i'm off work. Then i'll go pick it up. Heard from my dealer they are installing my a/c. Is there a difference between ac? the ones installed by the manufacturer or the ones installed by the toyota dealer? Cause i know the manufacturer charged like 1.1k and toyota dealer charged 1.45k

Ziv
06-01-2006, 04:34 PM
Huh, I never heard of manufacturer install and dealer install. I thought they were all installed by manufacturer before shipping it here.

mikeukrainetz
06-01-2006, 06:47 PM
Just to confirm what someone else has already said, tint works wonders for keeping the car cool... spend the hundred bucks and get it tinted... plus it looks alot better.

swng
06-01-2006, 07:12 PM
Do you have your windows tinted? Even a 50% tint (50% light transmission) should cut the heat by about 40% (less while parked in the sun).
No my friends. My windows are not tinted as yet. I agree tinting can probably keep the car cooler and improve the look. I have budgetary concerns but may consider tinting when I have spare money to spend later. I like to spend money in things that can eventually pay for themselves. The Yaris itself is one such thing because it uses a lot less fuel compared with a bigger car and its maintenance costs should be lower too.
As for tinting, I guess it will take my Yaris almost its whole life time to generate enough additional savings (through tinted windows which will reduce the fuel required to run the A/C) to pay me back the money so invested:wink::biggrin:.
Still want to thank you for the great idea! I am sure that it will work and will be an added benefit to those members who will tint anyway.

JaiTomato
06-01-2006, 07:13 PM
Just to confirm what someone else has already said, tint works wonders for keeping the car cool... spend the hundred bucks and get it tinted... plus it looks alot better.

I'm gonna get a tint quote in the next few days. It's getting quite warm around here (N.E.)

swng
06-01-2006, 07:38 PM
Same here. I found the A/C good but not great. For sure its much better on a full side sedan (such as an accord).
I use the same method of turning it on 3 for few minutes and reduce that to 2. I found 2 is 'cooler' than 3 with time, 3 is just to get rid of all the hot air within the car. And yes, if you know you will be at your destination soon, turn off the A/C for about a few minutes and let the fan run for a bit. Without letting the fans goes on for a bit before you shut down your car, you could get a weird smell next time you start the car.
Thanks for the advice. You are right about the funny smell. I have noticed it too. When I took my car to Toyota for service this afternoon, I complained about the A/C and they tested it. On the bill, they stated that the A/C was working fine :thumbup:. However, they have deodorized it for me :clap:.
Regarding running the fan for a few minutes before switching off the car, I would further suggest to run it at the highest speed and on humid days even run it with the thermostat set to the warmest. This will hopefully remove the residual moisture and prevent bad smell from building inside the system overnight.

stuffy
06-01-2006, 08:08 PM
i have seen a lot of cars with window tint that is bubbling, especially on the back window,

is this common problem with tints? if so, do tint companies have a warranty?

eight_heads
06-01-2006, 08:16 PM
it's a problem w/cheap tint, especially with people who buy autozone tint(i guess Canadian Tire or whoever you guys have) and put it on themselves, cheap tints don't have as good of glue as the tint shops get and if it's done right it should last the life of the car, and some places even warrant for the life of the car.....

David81
06-01-2006, 10:43 PM
The a/c i tested it, seems fine. In toronto i got the yaris aero package, it doesn't come with a/c. So i had to add it on as an option.

why?
06-02-2006, 01:27 AM
It also depends on how new the tint is. Small bubles can be seen in brand new tint, but they dissapear and the tint is suppose to look perfect after a few days.

When I got mine car tinted there was a massive white smear on the passenger window. A few days later is was completely gone.

NickNickNick
06-02-2006, 02:06 AM
I had my tint thrown in for free, and have had no problems with it - it sits in the sun all day in Canada's sunniest city, too. And it was 32 degrees today.

yarisolive
06-17-2006, 07:03 AM
I just recieved my 2007 yaris sedan, first time I used the a/c was yesterday (29˚c)put the fan on 4 for five minutes then had to turn it down to 2 because it was to cold. This is my fifth car a/c it seems to work like everyother car I have had......

markpeppie
06-19-2006, 12:32 PM
good to see someone from montreal!!! which dealer did you go to??

ECHOKnight2000
06-19-2006, 01:20 PM
It also depends on how new the tint is. Small bubles can be seen in brand new tint, but they dissapear and the tint is suppose to look perfect after a few days.

When I got mine car tinted there was a massive white smear on the passenger window. A few days later is was completely gone.

My car was the opposite! Has anyone heard of Ziebart? Apparently they're world wide, anyway that's where I got mine, its a quality tint for the most part but my rear driverside window and the back window show some bubbles but you have to look hard at it...but the thing is it was perfect up in till now but my one year warrenty is up...I guess I have to let it go for now and get it re-done later, I heard (don't know if its true) that tint doesn't last forever or for at least more than 5 years? I guess it depends on the quality:iono: For anyone who has their front windows done, does the tint stop at about a quarter inch from the top of the glass pane? Or does it go all the way? Just wondering if thats normal when tinting, cause with my windows (passenger and driver roll down windows) the tint stops at about quarter inch from the top of the window pane, I guess it doesn't really matter cause when you have your windows closed you can't tell or see it, it just seems "cheap" because you paid $200 plus dollars for this job. I don't know, just wanted opinions.

Tankota
06-19-2006, 01:33 PM
All the tint jobs I've gotten done the tint goes all the way up to the top of the glass, and below the seals, you can't tell at all that there's a tint film edge.

Also, I always make sure I get a tint with a lifetime warranty - true the tint won't last forever, but good tint will last a min. of 5 years or more. With the warranty, and a good shop that has been in buisness and still will be in buisness, you should not have to worry. Some will cover everything, some the warranty will cover the cost of the tint and the shop will give you a cut rate on the labor to install and replace it, if it ever fades or bubbles.

johnnyfive
06-20-2006, 01:18 AM
For anyone who has their front windows done, does the tint stop at about a quarter inch from the top of the glass pane? Or does it go all the way? Just wondering if thats normal when tinting, cause with my windows (passenger and driver roll down windows) the tint stops at about quarter inch from the top of the window pane, I guess it doesn't really matter cause when you have your windows closed you can't tell or see it, it just seems "cheap" because you paid $200 plus dollars for this job. I don't know, just wanted opinions.

they stop the tint just before it hits the seal so that it will never wrinkle, or scrape, or pinch, or scratch when it slides into the seal. if it is done right it will look flawless, and definetly look like it was suposed to be done that way. but on the other hand, i have seen some really bad looking tint jobs done like this, with all kinds of jagged eadges, and just really looks bad.

shop i got mine done at did it this way, and also got a 5 year full warranty, and a lifetime warranty on the film

TRD_Yaris
06-20-2006, 02:45 AM
Toyota Yaris 2007 2dr Perfect Cut Window Tint
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyota-Yaris-2007-2dr-Perfect-Cut-Window-Tint_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ63689QQihZ019QQite mZ8074844164QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

just get a spray bottle, distilled water, a bit of dish soap, and a good SQUEEGEE and you have as good of tint as your skills allow :headbang:

sroberts
06-20-2006, 12:01 PM
Not sure how this became a window tinting thread but here is a good webpage I found for rules.

http://www.solarfilmco.com/laws.html

ECHOKnight2000
06-20-2006, 01:17 PM
they stop the tint just before it hits the seal so that it will never wrinkle, or scrape, or pinch, or scratch when it slides into the seal. if it is done right it will look flawless, and definetly look like it was suposed to be done that way. but on the other hand, i have seen some really bad looking tint jobs done like this, with all kinds of jagged eadges, and just really looks bad.

shop i got mine done at did it this way, and also got a 5 year full warranty, and a lifetime warranty on the film

Thanks for the informative heads up-I guess that makes sense now. Yeah the cut off is pretty clean so its not too cheap looking, it looks like its suppose to do that as you mentioned. I only asked that cause my co-worker said that his friends tint goes all the way. Anyway don't mean too get off topic, thanks again!:thumbsup: