PDA

View Full Version : Stick or Auto ?

szook
01-22-2006, 07:48 PM
Which one should I get ?

OKJeeper
01-23-2006, 11:49 AM
Stick, always better to have more control over the car, get more power out of the engine.:burnrubber:

wushumasterku
01-23-2006, 03:07 PM
auto zaps some power.. no way for me.

birdy
01-23-2006, 05:17 PM
I am getting a 5speed, I think on this car it would be a given.

swng
01-23-2006, 06:18 PM
Just voted for automatic. It is great for city driving.

as400g33k
01-23-2006, 07:07 PM
either is ok, but auto is a 1.5k option so went for the manual.

p2filz
01-23-2006, 09:51 PM
wow 1.5 more damn for that reason alone i would choose manual although ive already chosen manual

swng
01-23-2006, 10:00 PM
In an attempt to win you over to the automatic side, I want to say how about 1k or less in the US?

why?
01-23-2006, 10:23 PM
A car this small can only be properly enjoyed with a manual transmission. Actually, any vehicle can only be properly enjoyed with a manual transmission.

ronbonzo
01-24-2006, 12:24 AM
I'm an old fart who finds it difficult to lift that left leg anymore. I'm going with the automatic.:drinking:

p2filz
01-26-2006, 01:28 PM
how old a fart are we talkin bout, seein as its a wrx the said fart is takin bout... on another note how does the manual feel on the yaris? not rubbery or anything rite?

yaris3
01-26-2006, 07:36 PM
5 speed manual of course. :)....I bought my Yaris in November 2005 at Caguas, Puerto Rico. You can see my car in http://www.cardomain.com/id/yaris3

ronbonzo
01-26-2006, 08:57 PM
how old a fart are we talkin bout, seein as its a wrx the said fart is takin bout...http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24&page=2
BTW the WRX is an automatic:burnrubber:

birdy
01-26-2006, 09:14 PM
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24&page=2
BTW the WRX is an automatic:burnrubber:
you have the same car as me then haha mine is blue though.

The 5speeds on the wrx suck seriously that is the ONLY reason I got an auto. Every other car I have ever driven was a 5speed.

kralmrax
01-28-2006, 11:33 AM
i opted for the automatic as a comprimise with the wife who cannot drive a stick, this way i may be able to get a bike come spring. i'm actually enjoying the automatic for the amount of start and stop city driving i do.

Peterama
01-29-2006, 08:53 AM
auto for me I wish I could get stick but my wife drives it as well and she refuses to learn stick.....but let me tell you the auto is fun I dont regret it at all

Kouki_Trueno
01-29-2006, 04:11 PM
Manual...

foober
01-30-2006, 02:51 PM
I have yet to get my yaris. So this is good information. I'm worried about the stop and go city driving. And of course getting stuck in traffic jams. Been through too many in L.A. and san diego when i lived there. But could go manual considering i live in montana now. THanks for the info..

Ziv
02-01-2006, 11:44 AM
I liked the stick, until I have read quite a few review on the stick is not as smooth as auto. So I test drive both and decided to get the auto instead. At least for the Yaris.

Ziv on Vitz

swng
02-01-2006, 07:55 PM
There is yet another good thing about the Yaris' auto which is worth mentioning - you only have to pay marginally more in terms of fuel cost to enjoy the comfort and convenience:thumbup: .

why?
02-01-2006, 08:29 PM
That is if you think of it as comfort and convenience. It is physically hard for me to drive an auto after driving my Viggen for so long.

swng
02-01-2006, 10:55 PM
I certainly respect that why? What I was trying to say was that in the case of other cars, an auto would cost noticeably more(than marginally) in terms of fuel cost to run.

Ziv
02-02-2006, 09:17 AM
I understand for those whom drive manual all their life would hardly consider auto, but I found Yaris's Electroic Controlled Transmission (S-ECT) is quite different then my last altima and accord(both Auto). Maybe just me, but I do found Automatic is smoother and quiet than the Manual.
I know people who find Manual more 'fun' to drive, but at least for myself, Auto certainly didn't take any 'fun' out of my drive on a Yaris.

why?
02-02-2006, 10:06 AM
It is good to hear that the auto in the Yaris is a good one. Too long were the days when auto's in small cars were horrid.

AngryBusDriver
02-04-2006, 01:24 AM
i opted for the automatic as a comprimise with the wife who cannot drive a stick, this way i may be able to get a bike come spring. i'm actually enjoying the automatic for the amount of start and stop city driving i do.

I test drove both, but I have always found manual much more fun. It's funny kralmrax, I chose the manual transmission for the exact same reason you chose the automatic. Let the wife drive the Jimmy and the Yaris is all mine! :thumbup:

guy_likewhoa
02-13-2006, 07:46 PM
get stick. way more fun to drive. manual transmission for ever!!!....unless I lose my left leg lol

foober
02-13-2006, 09:42 PM
I keep going back and forth on whether to get manual or auto. I guess i'll just wait till I see what they can offer me yaris wise and figure out the best option.

uraz
02-28-2006, 10:02 AM
always manual. see the red line and change the gear. it makes me happy

why?
02-28-2006, 10:06 AM
Not to mention the manual transmission is lighter.

foober
02-28-2006, 12:03 PM
Does anyone know if the manual transmission is the same as the corollas is now. I have no yaris around to see what kind of manual transmission they have. So I tested out the coralla yesterday to test out its manual. It wan't all that bad in making shifts.

jcove
02-28-2006, 12:29 PM
A car this small can only be properly enjoyed with a manual transmission. Actually, any vehicle can only be properly enjoyed with a manual transmission.

I totally agree there !!!!:thumbup: :drinking: :w00t:

why?
02-28-2006, 03:53 PM
Does anyone know if the manual transmission is the same as the corollas is now. I have no yaris around to see what kind of manual transmission they have. So I tested out the coralla yesterday to test out its manual. It wan't all that bad in making shifts.

It is not. The Yaris has gears that will accelerate faster than the corrola's. I don't know the technical term for it, I think gearing is lower, or numerically higher, but I might be mixing that up.

swng
02-28-2006, 05:16 PM
It is not. The Yaris has gears that will accelerate faster than the corrola's. I don't know the technical term for it, I think gearing is lower, or numerically higher, but I might be mixing that up.
Do you mean shorter gear ratios:redface:? I am no expert either. Just enjoy chatting with you guys.

why?
02-28-2006, 07:20 PM
I think so. Shorter and lower numerically gear ratios I think will accelerate faster, while longer and higher ones will go slower.

kevjef420
03-21-2006, 07:27 PM
I got a manual. I hate automatic transmissions, especially on small cars. But I must say that I am not that impressed with the transmission. I have owned 3 toyotas with manual and all of them didn't shift near as nice as any honda I have drove. I must say that this car really moves with a 5 speed and 106hp. The car is very light and has excellent throtle response. btw it smokes my brothers 98 Civic Si for lunch.

DJ_SpaRky
03-22-2006, 08:37 AM
(coming from a Scion Driver) 1NZ-FE + Auto = Bad. MPG & the driving experience will both be better with a 5-speed

mao
03-22-2006, 02:29 PM
maybe im still young but i prefer manual than auto. i like more power going those uphill streets. my parents suggest that i should go with 5 door auto. but i did not want that, since im paying for the car, mine as well get one you like. =P

Swissy_82
03-23-2006, 04:08 AM
I'm not going to vote. I don't know how to drive stick yet :redface: , so i will wait befor i cast my vote.

DJ_SpaRky
03-23-2006, 08:29 AM
I'm not going to vote. I don't know how to drive stick yet :redface: , so i will wait befor i cast my vote.

if you get one, you will learn. it's not hard. :burnrubber:

Peteaussi
04-02-2006, 09:25 PM
A stick allows you more control of the car I think. Also, it is a hell of a lot more fun. If you get the 1.5L engine then trust me, a stick is definitely worth it because you can throw the Yaris around a lot more.

stuffy
04-02-2006, 10:01 PM
yeah, manual is the only way to go, especially with a small car.

auto sucks the life out of a car. i havent' driven an auto yaris, but i have driven auto echos and they are not nearly as fun to drive as my car.

harves
04-03-2006, 02:06 AM
Manual deffinately. I would never buy an auto in a car less then 2lt

why?
04-03-2006, 10:22 AM
I have driven the auto Yaris, and it is ok. I can't wait to get my manual.

swng
04-03-2006, 02:04 PM
Why? says - I have driven the auto Yaris, and it is ok....
Yes, that is exactly the point. A manual gear box can of course give the driver a lot of fun and flexibility but as why? says, the auto is ok. There are valid reasons why some people have to buy the auto, paying about one thousand dollars more despite that it is not as good as the manual in a number of ways.
Of course the manual is very very good but I am so glad that why?, who is an abvious supporter of the manual, says that the auto is ok.

stuffy
04-03-2006, 03:34 PM
why did you opt for the auto, swng?

(i want some valid reasons, besides being able to drink coffee, talk on the phone and smoke a cigarette at the same time while driving)

swng
04-03-2006, 03:42 PM
why did you opt for the auto, swng?

(i want some valid reasons, besides being able to drink coffee, talk on the phone and smoke a cigarette at the same time while driving)

Thanks for the question. It is partly due to that fact that I live in a very hilly area with a lot of stop and go traffic to get through before reaching the highway. However, it is largely due to the fact that my wife also drives the same car and she likes to have one that is easy to drive and easy to park. She ranks convenience above fun. She especially dislikes starting on steep slopes.

stuffy
04-03-2006, 04:23 PM
makes good sense,
luckily, my wife enjoys driving standard as well,
when we first got the yaris, we had to take turns driving, but now i get to drive the most- (i let her control the t.v. channel changer)

swng
04-03-2006, 05:06 PM
makes good sense,
luckily, my wife enjoys driving standard as well,
when we first got the yaris, we had to take turns driving, but now i get to drive the most- (i let her control the t.v. channel changer)
Good humor! Enjoy(I mean, both of you)!

falker
06-11-2006, 02:15 PM
IT DEPENDS HOW AND WHERE YOU DRIVE IT BUT I PREFER MANUAL

boxerboy
06-11-2006, 04:53 PM
I like a manual in most cars. I enjoy driving. The only exception is a luxury car.

Twig
06-11-2006, 08:22 PM
manual is the only way to go.

eight_heads
06-11-2006, 09:06 PM
i have driven both autos and manuals in the past and i can't stand autos anymore.... has to be a 5spd for me... and man is it tough to get one here in Louisiana... i find that autos tend to suck power from smaller engines and that they also tend to break sooner than a manual... plus manual transmissions are alot easier to rebuild and are cheaper to rebuild compared to autos

Uglyboyed
06-12-2006, 10:02 AM
manual is the way to go!!!! i have alot more control of my car and burns a lot less gas.

ECHOKnight2000
06-14-2006, 11:28 AM
I would have to go with manual as well...especially for a small engined, small car...although the car I have now is an auto (*gasp*:eek: :eek:) wanted to get a stick but at the time didn't have the time to wait to get one and mess with it...but my next car this time I hope to get a manual hatchback (Yaris:wub:) sometime in the future...my dad has an 2003 Mazda Miata, teal color, very nice but its a manual and I practice on it, I have it down for the most part but I"m still a noob cause well I'm learning and don't drive it on a daily bases...when I do go at first I'm good at getting out of first gear but after awhile I keep killing the car so my confidence goes down and I get scared and don't want to drive on public roads-when I practice I usually go to a empty parking lot-but yeah first gear phobia!:eyebulge: :eyebulge:

Tankota
06-14-2006, 12:08 PM
I've driven stick for 22 years now, while I enjoy the control and power it gives, for the Yaris I went with an auto - it's going to mainly be my work car and I'm sick of driving stick in L.A. traffic! :mad: Now I can take a nap in traffic.. :rolleyes: My off-road truck though is still stick :burnrubber:

PMCRW
06-14-2006, 02:43 PM
a real man drives a stick....a real woman loves a stick....

KSIbucky
06-14-2006, 04:50 PM
test the car I'm starting to think I should have gotten auto sounds better but then I like that sound