PDA

View Full Version : Rustproofing the Yaris Hatchback

06YarisRS
09-13-2020, 12:03 AM
I dug up this pic of the Yaris underbody. Since I'm in the process of doing some extensive rust repair on my newly acquired '07 RS 3-door, I figured I'd post this.

The hatchbacks are prone to corrosion in the rear subframe, rocker and dogleg area.

There are 3 distinct and fully separated cavities that can collect water and rot out. Each area has an access plug. Using a 360 degree pattern rust proofing tip and a thin rustproofing compound, these areas can be protected.

I did not draw the arrow at the front or the line at the rear axle. Those were on the pic when I found it.

https://i.imgur.com/XcBcsNG.jpg

ex-x-fire
09-13-2020, 08:49 AM
I have a long flexible tube that Napa gave me when I bought fluid film from them.

06YarisRS
09-14-2020, 06:04 AM
I have a long flexible tube that Napa gave me when I bought fluid film from them.

Yes! I bought one of those a long time ago. Unfortunately, the 360 degree tip came off when it got caught in something in the rocker panel. I did get several good applications, though, before it broke. I think I just got impatient and tugged too hard on it. It worked great though.

I just ordered one of these. I guess it's ok, but doesn't spray FF well. That's fine as I plan to spray thin ATF in the panels. Or, I'll thin down some FF and try that. Since it doesn't come with a bottle, I'll buy some product with right sized bottle, then use it with ATF or similar.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07S1Y742M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

tmontague
09-14-2020, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the image. I'll triple check next spring that I sprayed these areas on my sedan. My car now only sees summers being track only driven now, but due to its age I will still be coating it from the bottom every spring.

I did the doors and everything up top already and don't 0lan on redoing that portion.

thebarber
09-14-2020, 01:37 PM
Great share!

06YarisRS
09-14-2020, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the image. I'll triple check next spring that I sprayed these areas on my sedan. My car now only sees summers being track only driven now, but due to its age I will still be coating it from the bottom every spring.

I did the doors and everything up top already and don't 0lan on redoing that portion.

Yeah, it's a good pic to illustrate the locations. It's too bad Toyota didn't promote rustproofing in these areas. It's really the only locations that suffer appreciable rust damage. Your sedan is fortunate to no longer have to face Canadian winters!

06YarisRS
09-14-2020, 03:37 PM
Great share!

Thanks man!