PDA

View Full Version : Does ICE Protect?

IGGGY
06-14-2007, 02:42 PM
:iono: I used Turtle Wax ICE based on recommendations found in this forum. Very nice results. However, I didn't find anything on the bottle to indicate that it protects like a wax. If you use ICE, do you still need to wax? Thanks in advance.

taKuto
06-14-2007, 11:13 PM
its a polish, it will not protect. Wax afterwards.

brickhardmeat
06-14-2007, 11:44 PM
I thought it was like a sheen to go over an already waxed car??? Shows how much I know. I've never used ICE.

jamal1984
06-15-2007, 12:05 AM
i normally use ice after each wax to make it even more shiny.

ChinoCharles
06-15-2007, 02:00 AM
The ICE line includes a paste wax, liquid synthetic wax, liquid clay bar and detailer.

static808
06-15-2007, 02:30 AM
its a polish, it will not protect. Wax afterwards.

i've never used ICE, but if it is indeed a polish, you should wax afterwards. dont wax then apply ice. kinda like wearing your underwear over your pants. polish first to get a shine, and then wax to seal it up...

--B

tk-421
06-15-2007, 05:11 AM
kinda like wearing your underwear over your pants.
Perfect analogy. :thumbsup:

I wonder if that's the way this Yaris is prepped:
http://www.newlaunches.com/entry_images/1006/11/toyota_2.jpg

taKuto
06-15-2007, 09:26 AM
I think it's more on how turtle wax is advertising their product which seems to create this confusion of wax or polish. If you take a look at their site and packaging, they name their products as polishes, but their advertisements and descriptions call their products waxes. I'd take it for the name of the product (a polish, not wax), but that's just me.

http://www.turtlewax.com/main.taf?p=2,1,1

IGGGY
06-15-2007, 10:51 AM
Thanks guys for the reply. I see I'm not alone in the confusion. Did I remember right that the owners manual said to wax once a month?

nsmitchell
06-15-2007, 01:52 PM
I'm surprised brick didn't recommend to call the manufacturer.:biggrin:

uncleyaris
06-15-2007, 08:09 PM
lol, amongst other things!!

brickhardmeat
06-15-2007, 08:15 PM
that's an excellent suggestion, call the damn manufacturer

I am sure it is a basic 1-2-3 product line like chino said

goddamn waxing once a month sounds insane to me, ha

but I just take mine to the local car wash, brush it up and spray it down with wax, 2 bucks and I'm good, I'll give it a good overhaul every 6 months but that's about it

uncleyaris
06-15-2007, 08:16 PM
lol

uncleyaris
06-15-2007, 08:16 PM
I wish you were coming to the meet tommorrow, what a blast you are!

brickhardmeat
06-15-2007, 08:23 PM
Ok, below is the info on both the past and the liquid direct from turtlewax.com; I gather the liquid is just a top coat that gives a nice shine a finishing touch while the paste offers some protection like traditional wax and yes they do refer to this stuff as polish which makes me think of polishing compound that is slightly gritty but I don't think that is what they mean when they say polish

Paste Polish

Turtle Wax® ICE™ Synthetic Paste Polish is formulated with a proprietary blend of silicone polymers to provide an extremely high gloss shine to your car's finish and long lasting durability.

Product Benefits

Can be applied to rubber and plastic trim without leaving white residue.
Contains UV inhibitors to help guard against harmful UV rays.
Complete kit includes a custom applicator and microfiber towel.

Liquid Polish

Turtle Wax® ICE™ is a clear wax formulated with completely new technology that blends silicone and hydrocarbon polymers to provide extraordinary shine and durability.

Product Benefits

Can be applied to all exterior rubber, plastic and vinyl trim to restore color and shine without leaving white residue.
Unlike conventional waxes, ICE™ can be applied in direct sunlight or on a hot surface without streaking or wax build-up.
A single application will provide extraordinary shine however, multiple layers will further increase depth of gloss and shine.
Formulated with light stabilizers to protect your car’s finish from the suns damaging UV rays.
Complete kit includes a custom applicator and microfiber towel.

LuckySweetheart
09-14-2007, 11:59 AM
I think it's more on how turtle wax is advertising their product which seems to create this confusion of wax or polish. If you take a look at their site and packaging, they name their products as polishes, but their advertisements and descriptions call their products waxes. I'd take it for the name of the product (a polish, not wax), but that's just me.

http://www.turtlewax.com/main.taf?p=2,1,1

Well, according to turtle wax, wax and polish are interchangable:

A: The terms wax and polish are used interchangeably today. Most waxes and polishes contain some mild cleaning agents (safe for clear coat finishes) which remove old wax, minor scratches and everyday oxidation. All polish and wax products clean, shine and protect, unless otherwise stated on the label. A polishing compound or compound will clean and shine only. As always recommended, test a small inconspicuous area and always follow the back label instructions.

BUT: Under, the "Help Me Choose" section, it says that Ice doesn't have cleaning agents "that can get caught in cracks or crevices". I'm not sure if this means that Ice has no cleaners whatsoever or only cleaners that dry clear.

Ice Polish
Ice Paste Polish T-465, Ice liquid Polish T-468 or Ice Detail Spray T-470 are the perfect products to maximize the highest shine and protection available in a Turtle Wax wax/ polish product. Ice leaves all exterior paint, plastic, and rubber trim looking it's best. Many auto enthusiasts have told us that Ice Polish has helped them win detailing awards on custom cars as it provides the perfect look to dark clear coat finishes. If you are looking for the ultimate shine and protection, Ice synthetic products are the answer.
Ice does not contain any cleaning agents that can get caught in cracks and crevices .It will not leave any powdery residue or dull films on metal, plastic, and rubber trim. The pure shine formula will not leave wipe marks or light swirl marks on any well maintained finish.
It is super easy to apply and remove and perfect for vehicles that have intricate exterior components.
http://www.turtlewax.com/main.taf?p=6,4,1,2#5