PDA

View Full Version : My touch-up paint leaked into my glovebox!

DorytheYaris
06-18-2007, 09:16 AM
I accidentally left the little bottle of touch-up paint in my driver's side glovebox over the weekend and I have blue paint all over the inside of it! The entire bottle was empty! :cry:

What should I use to try and get this stuff thinned out and off of it? Is paint stripper a good idea?

brickhardmeat
06-18-2007, 09:22 AM
might damage the plastic material, that stuff is strong, you may let it dry real good and then let the car sit in the sun and -maybe- it will get kinda gummy and sort of peel out

death is my gift
06-18-2007, 10:03 AM
I accidentally left the little bottle of touch-up paint in my driver's side glovebox over the weekend and I have blue paint all over the inside of it! The entire bottle was empty! :cry:

What should I use to try and get this stuff thinned out and off of it? Is paint stripper a good idea?
oh nos! that so sucks. i have no solution, just showing some sympathy.

nqd
06-18-2007, 10:04 AM
you could paint the rest of it blue

brickhardmeat
06-18-2007, 10:06 AM
you could paint the rest of it blue

I was think that too, just smooth out whats there and paint he rest blue too

nqd
06-18-2007, 10:19 AM
heres another idea...

wait till it dries
remove it from dash
sand it down a little then get some either semi gloss or flat spray paint
and spray ...i never notice the actual gloss on the inside of the glove soi dunno if semi gloss flat, or gloss black would match

DorytheYaris
06-18-2007, 11:06 AM
With today's high temps, it's probably going to just turn gummy so hopefully it'll peel off on my lunchbreak at 3. We'll see what happens.

tacsniper
06-18-2007, 12:48 PM
or you can just replace the glove compartment if it all doesn't work out... don't think that will cost a lot

dayvit_h
06-18-2007, 03:31 PM
I use an acitone base nail polish remover, poured on a shop towel, wrapped around a credit card to soften and remove excess touch up paint that gets around scratches and chips. The acitone, if put on the rag, in small amount might not harm the plastic as it plays nice with clearcoat. Not sure about how it will deal with the paint left in the textured pattern. Works great on exterior.

kimona
06-18-2007, 04:06 PM
I think you may be able to gently peel it off.

uncleyaris
06-18-2007, 06:34 PM
mineral spirits i think may help.at least it is inside or did any run out?

DorytheYaris
06-18-2007, 10:40 PM
I use an acitone base nail polish remover, poured on a shop towel, wrapped around a credit card to soften and remove excess touch up paint that gets around scratches and chips. The acitone, if put on the rag, in small amount might not harm the plastic as it plays nice with clearcoat. Not sure about how it will deal with the paint left in the textured pattern. Works great on exterior.

That sounds like a really good idea. I'm gonna try that as soon as I get a few minutes! lol

DorytheYaris
06-18-2007, 10:42 PM
mineral spirits i think may help.at least it is inside or did any run out?

Nah, it's just inside.

churp
06-18-2007, 11:02 PM
Possibly time to have the 1st Yaris upholstered glove box.....if all else fails, spray adhesive and a fine fabric of your choice (or neoprene) could add some class....but I'm just an old toad!:wink:

nsmitchell
06-19-2007, 01:29 PM
The neoprene could deaden the sound from objects clattering about. hehe I'd look into a new glovebox. Gotta be one from a totaled Yaris somewhere.

kurokoma-kun
06-19-2007, 01:52 PM
Dory, sounds like your glovebox is now waterproofed and ready for use as a flower holder! :wink: :tongue: :wink:

Not really... I'm sorry to hear about your mess, hope it turns out ok. :smile:

Thotprawsis
06-19-2007, 08:21 PM
Major bummer. Sorry I have no solution but I do feel your pain!

DorytheYaris
06-21-2007, 12:41 AM
Still no luck yet with getting the junk off the glovebox. Will keep everyone updated as to what actually works.

Of course this has to happen when I just move into my new place and remodeling is taking up my schedule.

Mead
06-21-2007, 08:05 AM
Possibly time to have the 1st Yaris upholstered glove box.....if all else fails, spray adhesive and a fine fabric of your choice (or neoprene) could add some class....but I'm just an old toad!:wink:

+1

I was thinking of laying shelf liner, they come in a techy pattern that goes with the Yarii texture, I hope they come in black.

tacsniper
06-21-2007, 09:35 PM
have you check with the dealership on how much it cost to replace it?