PDA

View Full Version : Anyone taken long trips?

clayky
06-19-2007, 03:51 PM
Hi all, I'm about to head to Florida and back and am dreading the drive. I'm concerned about the comfort (or lack thereof) of the seats in my beloved Yaris. Being 6'2 I've found the seats to be too short on trips of 100 miles. I'm taking pillows!

Any experiences?

Astroman
06-19-2007, 04:06 PM
I'm 5'9" and have taken my Yaris on many 250 mile trips, and one 2k mile trip just fine. Only complaint is I have no cruise control installed. I do have it, but it's still in the box :rolleyes:. I find the seats comfy, but then again some of my vehicles barely had any foam padding left.

jamal1984
06-19-2007, 04:48 PM
2 trips one from GA to Hilton Head SC, around 400 miles, another to Murtle Beach, SC another 400 miles or so.
if you do 60 or 70 mph it's comfortable, if you do 80 and up please not, it's not Luxury.
It's save alot of gas on HW, but for a longer trip like 600-900 miles , i wouln't.

Blenjar
06-19-2007, 05:57 PM
my longest trip so far is from groton (north of new london) to downtown manhattan.
not that it was long but ran in traffic lil after london for about 30 miles long, bumper to bumper stops and goes...gayy!

-- Blen

Nigal
06-19-2007, 08:19 PM
I did a trip that was 1,000 miles each way. Drove it straight through. Yes, it was uncomfortable the last four hours in the car.

Darth Gilbert
06-19-2007, 08:39 PM
I was just on vacation and put about 1800 miles on in 10 days. Never had issues with discomfort. I have some cheap covers on the front seats, which are soft and have made the seats more comfortable to me... The a/c kept me nice and cool, and the cruise control made the drive smooth. Now I just gotta scrub all those bugs off the grill...

Mead
06-19-2007, 09:10 PM
I'm 6'1" and skinny, drove 9 hrs straight a couple of times. The seat bottom made my butt numb torwards the end.

Here's what I'd do differently on my next trip, I get the hi-tech rubber seat cushion at Walmart, it's just the bottom piece made of soft rubber in a waffle pattern, it makes your butt wiggle :drool: for circulation.

then I'd buy the static cling window tint strip for the top of the windshield trimming the pieces to fit between the rear view mirror. All this to eliminate driver fatigue... (also I found swinging the sunvisor out to the side window and pull out the extension piece made it more easy on the eyes) oh you might want a louder horn, at hwy speeds even I can't hear my own horn :bellyroll:

BailOut
06-19-2007, 09:42 PM
The wife and I did 450 miles x 2 a few weeks ago and found the seats to be comfortable and providing decent lumbar support. We're both 5'8"/5'9".

I also have a contractor that travels about 170 miles x2 with me sometimes, and he simply cannot stay awake in the Yaris. I swear he gets something like temporary narcolepsy, so you know he's comfortable.

The one thing I can't stand in any car is the seat belt digging into my chest/shoulder, so I have the foofoo seat belt wraps, and I truly appreciate them on long hauls.

churp
06-19-2007, 11:11 PM
6' and way too many #'s....been on a couple 450 mile one way trips (1000 m before I get home 2 days later) and have over 11,000 m in less than 4 months. I think the comforts fine....seating position is so much higher than most of the cars I drive, it's easy to vary the position occasionally.....plus my dog prefers to take pee brake a lot!!!! :biggrin:

clayky
06-20-2007, 12:47 AM
I was just on vacation and put about 1800 miles on in 10 days. Now I just gotta scrub all those bugs off the grill...

Make it easy on yourself......go to the car wash first and hose off the front end...makes it MUCH easier.

Kioshi
06-20-2007, 01:46 AM
Planning a trip to Calgary from SF, California.....any tips?
Seat cusion from Wal-Mart for sure. I've had numb bottom driving to L.A. and back in 1 day, so I've learned my mistake w/ that.

my little snow ball
06-20-2007, 09:12 AM
i'm driving from ontairo to new york city and then to boston and then back to ontario

bnther36
06-20-2007, 12:42 PM
The wife and I did a little over 600 miles in our sedan. It wasn't bad. I wasn't the same as the Camry 07 but the Yaris doesn't cost as much either.

PSU Yaris
06-21-2007, 04:01 AM
drove from san diego, ca to orlando, fl. the yaris did fine. the a/c remained cold throughout the desert, and i got exceptional gas mileage. be sure to hold the wheel with two hands if its a very windy day though!

slvryaris
06-21-2007, 04:20 AM
I am 6'4" and drove with my girlfriend to Orlando from southern Indiana. Other then your butt goin numb it is fine. Nothing you wouldnt experience in any other long car ride.

Pars
06-23-2007, 02:27 AM
The wife and I did 450 miles x 2 a few weeks ago and found the seats to be comfortable and providing decent lumbar support. We're both 5'8"/5'9".

I also have a contractor that travels about 170 miles x2 with me sometimes, and he simply cannot stay awake in the Yaris. I swear he gets something like temporary narcolepsy, so you know he's comfortable.

The one thing I can't stand in any car is the seat belt digging into my chest/shoulder, so I have the foofoo seat belt wraps, and I truly appreciate them on long hauls.

Typical, a Contractor that's sleeping on the job :biggrin:

I"m 6'2 260lbs and spend about 8hr/day in the Yaris. On the long streches, my ankle used to get fatiqued, but I've since gotten used to it. Even still, it'd be nice to opt for the curise so one can rest the leg. :thumbsup:

YarisTom73
06-23-2007, 10:35 AM
I'm 5'9" and have taken my Yaris on many 250 mile trips, and one 2k mile trip just fine. Only complaint is I have no cruise control installed. I do have it, but it's still in the box :rolleyes:. I find the seats comfy, but then again some of my vehicles barely had any foam padding left.

You have it in a box? Aftermarket or OEM upgrade? I'd be really interested in how to get that also, it's the only thing I really miss about my old vehicles..the pedals of the Yaris are angled just enough to annoy my ankle a fter a few hours' drive. :confused:

slothman86
06-24-2007, 10:50 PM
I just drove 2400 miles from GA to NJ and back...not really uncomfortable...just long

daq421
06-24-2007, 11:22 PM
Hi all, I'm about to head to Florida and back and am dreading the drive. I'm concerned about the comfort (or lack thereof) of the seats in my beloved Yaris. Being 6'2 I've found the seats to be too short on trips of 100 miles. I'm taking pillows!

Any experiences?

We have taken the lil' Yaris to So-Cal (San Diego, a 900 miles round trip) and I love the thing.. Room for me (6ft-270lbs) and the wife and a friend plus all the luggage. Great mileage and it ran up the Grape Vine with out a hint of complaint.
Later this year we are headed to New Mexico (2500 miles round trip) and we are for sure taking the Yaris.

-Peter

stuffy
06-24-2007, 11:36 PM
i drove to boston and back last summer, about 600 miles each way, in total during the trip i put in 2000 miles.
i think the yaris was perfectly comfortable but cruise would have been nice.

constitently achieved 45 mpg on the trip with average highway speed of 110 km/hr (about 70 mph) with a/c on the whole way.

if i remember correctly, i spent about 120 bucks in gas for the whole trip.