PDA

View Full Version : In 13K miles I have killed the engine at least 100 times . . .

woof
06-19-2007, 09:30 PM
And ground coffee at least 200 times! The Yaris clutch has to be the worst design in the world! I've driven nothing but clutches all my life and this one drives me nutz.

It's like it has a floating engagement point. It grabs with little to no pedal feel and it seems to be a moving target.

I've read complaints such as this here . . . has anybody gotten any resolution for this irritation?

Ok, ok, I haven't laid this on the dealer yet but I want you guys opinions.
Thanks. :iono:

Dem Bonez
06-19-2007, 09:35 PM
I've been driving a stick for years and have killed mine twice in the 24 hours I've owned it. There isn't much play in the clutch and far a distance is concerned, so if your to high off the floor or move your feet around, you've killed it. Thankfully I havn't ground any gears yet, but it only has 40ish miles on it so I'm not shifting hard yet until the engine is broken in alittle more. :cool:

Motorhead6T5
06-19-2007, 09:40 PM
And ground coffee at least 200 times! The Yaris clutch has to be the worst design in the world! I've driven nothing but clutches all my life and this one drives me nutz.

It's like it has a floating engagement point. It grabs with little to no pedal feel and it seems to be a moving target.

I've read complaints such as this here . . . has anybody gotten any resolution for this irritation?

Thanks. :iono:I'm used to driving v8's and bigger turbo'd 4cyl(more torque) so it took a little getting used to. I just revit a bit more from a stop. At 600 miles I think I got it down,just gotta get use to it.

woof
06-19-2007, 09:41 PM
Well, Bonez, you have to remember to hit the floor with the pedal and apparently I forget that too much. But, you shouldn't have to do that in the first place.

Being a former xB guy I can say the Yaris' shift linkage is pure precision and butter in comparison but I never had the clutch problem with the xB.

Sadly, my xB was screwed together better than my Yaris. You would think at this price point they would be equal?

BailOut
06-19-2007, 09:44 PM
I've only killed mine 3 times, always on steep hill starts, and each time had much more to do with the throttle lag than the clutch.

Doc Zaius
06-19-2007, 11:43 PM
In the first week I owned it, I stalled her at least once a drive. Weird weird clutch. But within a month I was fine.

Perhaps there's something wrong?

kimona
06-19-2007, 11:49 PM

Thanks. :iono:

My resolution was to buy the automatic after test-driving the stick.

My first small car automatic, and I couldn't be happier.

clayky
06-20-2007, 12:41 AM
In the first week I owned it, I stalled her at least once a drive. Weird weird clutch. But within a month I was fine.

Perhaps there's something wrong?

I don't think it's so much the clutch as it is the throttle delay. But I'm with you guys, been driving a stick all my life and this is the finickiest so far.

Black Yaris
06-20-2007, 12:45 AM
I don't think it's so much the clutch as it is the throttle delay. But I'm with you guys, been driving a stick all my life and this is the finickiest so far.

DING DING DING I think we have a winner..... well I think it is a combo of both, 1 the friction pont is an inch off the floor and 2 the slight lag in acceleration because of the throttle by wire.... over time you become acustome to it

Kaotic Lazagna
06-20-2007, 12:46 AM
i've only stalled about 3 times for as long as i've owned my Yaris. i think the clutch is actually good for a cheap car.

fu_im_from_texas
06-20-2007, 01:09 AM
i think its caused by a lack of hp and tq at rpms less than 2k ... ive gotten used to it, but only after 100+ stalls

Kioshi
06-20-2007, 01:52 AM
I've killed the engine 50 times, at least to my counting. Funny part i killed it parking in my garage because of the small incline and I usually dont like to drive straight in damaging the shocks w/ the impact of the incline.

There is delay....i guess thats why people tailgate me for like the 1st and 2nd gear, but after that I've pretty much out-ran them in their Escalades.

But i agree, you have to give this car throttle first then ease off the clutch, not both at the same time. And uphills, make sure to rev it more but not enough to peel out like I had 7 times.

Kaotic Lazagna
06-20-2007, 02:31 AM
you can always use the handbrake method on those hills. heh. still perfecting that for me (i'm not used to it).

Kioshi
06-20-2007, 02:42 AM
Yea its hard..I've stalled couple times using the handbrake because I felt the car moving but didnt give enough gas~

Speedz
06-20-2007, 03:03 AM
lol

I stall again it just yesterday after 25k kms already... really a pain in your wallet to rev it when you almost have to cut ur flesh to pay for petrol... lol

Kaotic Lazagna
06-20-2007, 03:18 AM
Yea its hard..I've stalled couple times using the handbrake because I felt the car moving but didnt give enough gas~

heh, luckily for me, i don't go to places that have steep hills.

i just noticed that you're in fremont. do you live near the Numie (sp?) factory?

grampi
06-20-2007, 07:59 AM
Sadly, my xB was screwed together better than my Yaris. You would think at this price point they would be equal?

That's your opinion. As far as passing that off as fact, I'm not buying it.

my little snow ball
06-20-2007, 09:01 AM
i test drove the yaris rs and i stalled it three times and i have driven stick all my life but the same with the matrix i stalled it too i think its the clutchs in the cars

Kioshi
06-20-2007, 09:21 AM
heh, luckily for me, i don't go to places that have steep hills.

i just noticed that you're in fremont. do you live near the Numie (sp?) factory?

Heh lucky. I wish, I live near the Alvarado Nile Creek. But Numi isnt that far, its like 11 miles perhaps..

Kaotic Lazagna
06-20-2007, 01:00 PM
heh, i think you live near my sister.

jamal1984
06-20-2007, 01:07 PM
i stalled my yaris for at least 30 times now, it's has 30k miles on it, i think the clutch in the yaris are very similar to the new mustang, boxter, subaru. If you get used to it, very easy to drive.

stuffy
06-20-2007, 01:51 PM
i think this issue has been brought up numerous times (probably 10 threads in the archives) in the past and like others have said, it has nothing to do with the clutch and everything to do with the lag from the drive by wire system.

just takes some getting used to.

Typer73
06-20-2007, 06:09 PM
I have 2 words for all of you... automatic transmission!:wub:

SailDesign
06-20-2007, 06:10 PM
I have 2 words for all of you... automatic transmission!:wub:

Pppppppppppppppppppfffffffffttttttttttttttttt!!!!! :smile:

Thotprawsis
06-20-2007, 06:35 PM
Stalled her once. It is a real tricky clutch and lag, add vvt and you've got a big learning curve.

blacksan
06-20-2007, 06:49 PM
never, but I grew up on a farm and drive heavy industrial equipment on a regular basis. This clutch is a dream compared to a worn out log-skidder, or WWII era CCKW.

gonzo452001
06-20-2007, 08:39 PM
I agree the yaris clutch is the hardest thing to get used too after over 16000miles.I still have to think about it most of the time taking off

fantoma33
06-21-2007, 12:16 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only one. I've only had mine 5 days, but even on borrowed cars I've never had this much trouble adjusting to a clutch. I haven't stalled her the past couple days, but the first few days were the worst --- I'm still not used to it. Driving in sandals the first day did not help at all.

Kioshi
06-21-2007, 02:13 AM
heh, i think you live near my sister.

Does she drive a Yaris too? hehe.

Hopefully it'll make me not the only in my area w/ a cute car ~_~

To fantoma33.....I agree, slippers or sandals just make you get closer to stalling. Running shoes or sneakers works best for me and some dressy shoes too.

eTiMaGo
06-21-2007, 05:03 AM
took a few weeks to get used to, but now, not a problem... though it's all flat here, I wonder how I'd fare in a hilly place :tongue:

Pars
06-21-2007, 07:38 AM
It gets better with time. My 07 Yaris now has 62,000km and I noticed the acceptable take-up at around 30,000km. Even still, I've developed a habit and blip the gas before dropping the clutch. Something I never did in my old 1.6L Civic, unless I was faced with a steep incline. I don't know if the required blipping is a combination of low initial torque or delayed throttle response. But once the Yaris finally gets going, the Toyota is as quick as 1.6L Civic and returns slightly better fuel consumption (6.5L/100 vs 7L/100km). However, in stop-and-go traffic or loafing around in the neighborhood streets, the Civic with the good initial torque would return better mileage.

Katana
06-21-2007, 05:57 PM
I got easily used to my clutch, but the mechanics at the service cannot!

Jem_hadar
06-21-2007, 06:51 PM
Does she drive a Yaris too? hehe.

Hopefully it'll make me not the only in my area w/ a cute car ~_~

To fantoma33.....I agree, slippers or sandals just make you get closer to stalling. Running shoes or sneakers works best for me and some dressy shoes too.

Really. Strange how I found that at first, but now, I find it never easier shifting than when I'm in a pair of flip flops. It's my favourite (easiest, nicest) way to drive my Yaris shifting wise.

I agree the yaris clutch is the hardest thing to get used too after over 16000miles.I still have to think about it most of the time taking off

Thats a shame. This was my first stick, and it took me a hella while to get used to w/o thinking about or worrying about it on some level... now, its 2nd nature, as i assumed shifting would get once i learned and became proficient. Even on stepper hills, i no longer have any worry about slipping or stalling.

Glad.

woof
06-21-2007, 07:26 PM
SO, let's have a big OL' recall and get new cars!

Well, at least I'm not alone. One thing, though, my clutch seems to be moody. Sometimes it works great, then ka-chunk and restart.

Yep, I use the handbrake method quite a bit on hills to save face.

AND, I stand by my xB being better put together. It had only one defect (buzzing speedometer lens) whereas the LB has a few clunks and rattles with a slightly loose hatch lock. The xB was a truly "quality control" vehicle.

drifto
06-21-2007, 10:02 PM
stalled her 4 times the first week. after that ive been close to, but never stalled since. its all about feathering the gas. almost like the riding a bike idea. soon as you find your groove you dont even have to think about it anymore. to be honest though my problem initially was finding the correct seat position. i had a 86 rwd corolla in which my ass was practically on the floor, the yaris is a lot more elevated :rolleyes: . but after i found the "perfect" seat pos. ive had no problems.

Kioshi
06-22-2007, 10:54 AM
to be honest though my problem initially was finding the correct seat position. i had a 86 rwd corolla in which my ass was practically on the floor, the yaris is a lot more elevated :rolleyes: . but after i found the "perfect" seat pos. ive had no problems.

Honestly your correct on that. And I can relate. Because finding that sweet spot on the seat at a certain distance between clutch and you MADE a whole lot difference in getting better at moving my Yaris on inclines.

After getting a python alarm installed....i cant find my seat positioning spot :(

yuri2002
06-22-2007, 10:35 PM
I stalled at least 200+ times since I owned it, currently at 9500 miles. I stalled it 10x right after I drove away from dealership. Stalled very badly on steep hill, clutch was so smelly dude!

More stalls along the way to work etc. I think I need replacement soon, but I like my Yaris so much :wub: :wub: :wub:

yuri2002
06-22-2007, 10:37 PM
even my bf stalled a dozen times, and he drive a big block 454 all his life. He even redlined the engine while in neutral and the MOUSE jumped 50 feet. Eveyone was mad crazy looking at my MOUSIE!!

woof
06-23-2007, 10:57 PM
drifto, I still have trouble finding the sweet spot on my bucket. If I have to get something out of the backseat it takes a few adjustments to get it back. With the Yaris being a Euro-design I am shocked the seat cushions are so short and thin. I noticed how large the seats are in the new Scion xB and Nissan Versa. Definitely for big-assed folks.

GuySmily
06-23-2007, 11:19 PM
The two problems I have driving my gf's yaris. The throttle delay (as mentioned before) takes getting used to, and the clutch pedal engages WAY THE HELL OFF THE GROUND. This was true for her car as well as the one we test drove.

When I buy my Yaris, the clutch pedal will be adjusted before I leave the lot.

forpinks
06-24-2007, 01:41 AM
It's made for Europeans... I test drove the Yaris and the clutch feels like my old 1.1L turbo Kia Pride. THe 1NZ clutch will be perfect for "quick drop shifts" and really has the stunt driver feel to it.

(Just change the clutch to stage 3 and make it feel like a RWD stick)

drifto
06-24-2007, 12:34 PM
drifto, I still have trouble finding the sweet spot on my bucket. If I have to get something out of the backseat it takes a few adjustments to get it back. With the Yaris being a Euro-design I am shocked the seat cushions are so short and thin. I noticed how large the seats are in the new Scion xB and Nissan Versa. Definitely for big-assed folks.

for me the trick is not the just the slide position but the recline position. i put my seat all the way in the furthest position, ( i have long legs):rolleyes: but if i recline the seat back just right i can sit a little further back in the seat giving me a comfortable position to drive.
my only complaint on the seats is the height level, i wish it was a little lower to the floor, and besides the seats are really comfortable to me. ive taken a nice nap in my car on more than a few occasions. :biggrin:

roxy84
06-24-2007, 12:55 PM
of the 20 drives ive taken in many test drives with the yaris, not once did i stall the car. i attribute this to being used to my corolla 5 speed, which is also throttle by wire in addition to the clutch on the corolla not giving much feedback.

tannergdog
07-15-2007, 12:08 AM
Horrible design.

I've read what others have said and am glad to see I'm not the only one none to happy with it. The throttle delay is nothing but completely frustrating. I too have driven sticks all my life, including an old 60's Fiat with a bent clutch plate and even IT was easier to deal with than this. I've managed to figure out that to start smoothly from first gear I need to blip the throttle 2-3 times to 'wake it up' before starting to let the clutch out. It doesn't work to depress the gas and listen for the engine rev's because by that time you've killed it. The other side of the coin is to rev it way beyond normal and drive it like I'm off to the races just to go to the store. ( no I did not test drive the stick before I purchased. I purchased without a test drive. It never entered my mind that they would allow such a sloppy throttle setup to be released to the public. Yes, I'm fully aware that it is my own damn fault. But poor engineering is just poor engineering.)

There has got to be a way to tighten the response up with a software change. Wonder if anybody has an after market setup for ECU modifications?

Kioshi
07-15-2007, 01:11 AM
How long have you had the car....? I was one to complain about it in a minor way...but I've gotten use to it.
It takes time and yes its more different than ther clutches I've driven from my friends cars i.e. 350Z, BMW M3, etc....but once you get it down its pretty easy. And its kind of a norm from my p.ov. that you might kill the engine (on accident) here and there.

tannergdog
07-15-2007, 02:48 AM
I have around 4000, to 4500 miles on it at the moment.

Agreed. Killing the engine now and then happens. Nobody is perfect. But a half second or quarter second delay of the throttle is simply not acceptable in my book. For years and years a simple direct connect throttle setup gave us instant throttle response. Now we have computerized "throttle by wire" and it's less responsive? It seems backward to me.

I plan to keep an eye out for a software modification.

Pars
07-15-2007, 04:07 AM
I've got 70,000km and I no longer have any issue with the clutch take-up. It was an annoyance when the car was new, but now it isn't. It could be that my left foot has somehow managed to be proactive and fixed the problem without getting my brain involved, or the engine has loosen up enough to return a decent amount of initial torque while the clutch has worn-out enough so that that initial bite isn't as drastic. Probably a combination of all the above.

I find that when I'm running with high octane (premium) fuel, I can loaf around at under 1500rpm without a problem. The engine response feels almost as good as my old car that had excellent initial power.

Since response at low rpm has gotten good (with premium fuel) It'd be cool if the engine fuel cutoff worked until 1000 rpm (instead 1200rpm). Perhap 1200rpm is necessary for a newer engine, but once things free-up, I think 1000rpm would be better. The extra 200rpm of rolling along without any gas going to the engine could add-up to huge savings at the pump.

tannergdog
07-15-2007, 04:24 AM
Hmm. I've been running the lowest octane fuel up to this point. I'll trying switching to premium and see if it makes any difference.

The clutch seems o.k., it's the throttle delay that kills me.

Jem_hadar
07-16-2007, 05:48 PM
Now we have computerized "throttle by wire" and it's less responsive? It seems backward to me.

Its like that bc its more fuel efficient. AFAIK thats the primary reason.

jdium
07-17-2007, 06:31 AM
I've gotten used to it. The clutch works great once you are comfortable with the engagement and power levels of this lil car. But good luck driving another car. My girlfriends Prelude SH is a bitch to drive now, I'm so used to the throttle lag her car jumps and chirps every green light. Not to mention the difference in shifter engagement...

Don't even ask me about what it's like to switch from the Yaris 5sp LB to my 5.0 Lx Vert Auto...tire smoke abounds...

mikeukrainetz
07-17-2007, 12:48 PM
Im another thats driven mostly 5spds and have posted comments about the clutch quite some time ago. I have 25000km on the car now - almost two years old - and still feel like im learning to drive.
I have a hell of a time still with a consistent takeup, even with second and sometimes third gear.
Anyone else find the ratio gap between 1st and 2nd a little long?

fmicle
07-17-2007, 06:01 PM
Ah, come on man, 100+ kills and you still think something is wrong with the CAR???

I got over 4K miles on mine and maybe killed the engine 4-5 times. I've had 2 Diesel compact cars before, and the Diesel engine has a more powerful torque, I used to move from a complete halt without even touching the gas pedal, just using the power of the idling engine... and I even killed those engines a few times. That just happens with a manual.

I even managed to kill an engine with automatic transmission! :-) I couldn't do it anytime, but I think I did it twice or so in 2 years, usually during a quick maneuver at low speed, like breaking suddenly or so, the automatic clucth doesn't disengage quickly enough. Like I said, hard to reproduce ;-)