PDA

View Full Version : Feeling like crap after first car wash...

Disturb3dMind3d
06-22-2007, 03:37 PM
So I just washed my car for the first time 2 days ago and I wasn't please with the results. I guess the wash mit I had used had dirt in it because now I can see fine scratches on my new car (only in sunlight) :frown: . Would maguires gold class wax fix my small problem I got after my first wash? All I did was wash and dry the car...

brickhardmeat
06-22-2007, 03:54 PM
I use the foaming brush at the car was and then spray it with wax. I have done this at least 20 times and i don't see anyscratches. What did you use a Brillo pad?

keesue
06-22-2007, 04:23 PM
If you want to address this issue by hand, use Meguiars Scratch-X, rub vigorously to remove these light swirls, then coat it with NXT. You'll be very pleased.

Disturb3dMind3d
06-22-2007, 05:36 PM
would meguiars scratch-x mess up the clear coat on the paint?

blacksan
06-22-2007, 05:41 PM
I thoroughly rinse my car (at home) before hand washing. It does not guarantee perfection, but between that and monthly wax job as is well.

brickhardmeat
06-22-2007, 05:43 PM
scratch x is great stuff but that is a damn big job, have fun

what color is your car? I am assuming it is a darker color.

Disturb3dMind3d
06-22-2007, 06:31 PM
its bayou blue. I can only see the scratches/ swirl marks in the sunlight... Probably going to detail my car next week with some new gear.

kimona
06-22-2007, 06:42 PM
At first, I'd take a conservative approach. Try a light wax, and with a little effort that may solve the problem. Remember... cold car, shady area, clean equipment.

death is my gift
06-22-2007, 07:07 PM
yeah, i'm still having issues after peeling off the pin strip. i clay bared it, waxed it, shined it, sung it a lullabye and it still has those same little swirl-y marks. but just the one long strip that goes down both sides of my car. someone told me about OPPS? i haven't tried it yet. i'll be interested what everyone has to say about this subject as well.

thanks disturb3dmind3d.

kimona
06-22-2007, 07:31 PM
yeah, i'm still having issues after peeling off the pin strip. i clay bared it, waxed it, shined it, sung it a lullabye and it still has those same little swirl-y marks. but just the one long strip that goes down both sides of my car.

Clay bared it! Why? A light wax and some elbow grease would have done the trick removing pinstripe adhesive and the "shadow" the pinstripe left behind.

Using a clay bar is a technique that requires a good deal of skill and experience; otherwise, you'll damage the paint.

I wouldn't advise anyone to use clay on their Yaris unless they really know what they're doing. It's just too risky!

YamilR
06-22-2007, 07:49 PM
yeah, i'm still having issues after peeling off the pin strip. i clay bared it, waxed it, shined it, sung it a lullabye and it still has those same little swirl-y marks. but just the one long strip that goes down both sides of my car. someone told me about OPPS? i haven't tried it yet. i'll be interested what everyone has to say about this subject as well.

thanks disturb3dmind3d.

If you still have residual glue, buy some denatured alcohol and lightly wiped down the glue and it will come out instantly

keesue
06-22-2007, 07:50 PM
Having done this, here are the steps and tricks:

1. If you clay, you must use a lubricant and plenty of it. A dense soapy solution is good - light working of the paint with the clay. Turtlewax makes a chemical/abrasive solution that works great for cleaning. Claying removes imbeded dirt but can leave swirls if one doesn't use a lubricant.

2. Polishing removes swirls. One can use varying degrees of abrasives depending on the depth of the swirls. In your case, a light polish will work. Scratch-X is but one. Since the car is small, it is a light amout of work is all that is required.

3. Sealing is the last step. Synthetic or natural or both.

Its worth it. Take your time and enjoy doing it. My car shines like crazy. I clayed it, polished it, sealed it then topped it with ICE. Incredible is what people say.

kimona
06-22-2007, 08:54 PM
If you're not experienced using POLISH, you could damage your paint!

I wouldn't recommend that everyone use clay or polish.

For most of us, light wax is just fine... and it's very safe done by hand.

Razr
06-23-2007, 06:41 AM
Here's an example of a heavily swirled car I fixed recently - a friends BMW Z3 that after 3 years of automatic car wash machines was fraking ruined!

I started off with a deep hand wash and full claying (neither of these address swirls though) - after that I did a full chemical clean using Meg's Deep Crystal Paint cleaner (which in my estimation reduced the swirling by about 70%), followed by some spot touch-up with Meg's ScratchX (which was used to attack more major scratches, not the swirling). All that got me to this stage:

As you can see, the majority of the swirling has been addressed, but there's still some deeper swirls and a bit of holographing. (the 3 years of car wash damage is on the left, my hard work on the right BTW) :)

After that I hit it up with 2 generous coatings of Meg's #7 show car glaze, a layer of Meg's #21 synthetic sealant, and topped it with a layer of Meg's NXT tech wax, and here's the finished result:

While this is very safe and effective for an amatuer detailer, it's not permanent.. In this case you're effectively filling the swirls with wax & polish compounds, rather than actually removing them. If you don't keep your wax/polish layer up, the swirls will return. So long as you was as reguarly as you should (i.e. every 4-10 weeks) the finish will remain looking perfect however.

Removing swirls permanently requires cutting back the clear coat to a level lower than the swirls themselves, which means it's definately NOT a DIY.

Disturb3dMind3d
06-23-2007, 07:01 AM
Thanks for everyones input on how to fix the problem I have. I will try and wax my yaris next week and if that doesn't take care of my problem I am going to step it up a notch and polish then wax the week after.

death is my gift
06-23-2007, 08:03 AM
Clay bared it! Why?

i guess i should have explained a little more. when i peeled off the pin strip it left a really really goo-y trail behind. i tried using one of those "erase it" pads to get the goo off. all that did was create a "dull" finish. not just dull but rough to the touch. i then used Bug remover and that worked to remove the goo but there was still that dullness. i used wax, polish and nothing. that's when i finally decided to use a clay bar, but just on the dull parts, not on the entire car. for the most part it worked but it did leave the little swirl-ys behind.

as far as "knowing what i'm doing". i know the Erase It pad was a horrible idea before i tried it but i was desparate and did it anyway. with the clay bar, i followed the directions exactly how they were printed on the package i bought. PLENTY of Shine It spray as a lube and then the clay bar. i did keep it lubed up good, i'm not a moron. well maybe a slight moron for that brilliant Erase It idea

forpinks
06-23-2007, 08:06 PM
Time to bust out a PC random orbital polisher some good detailer polish, wax soap, MF cloths and bonnets and sheep skin bonnets and some sealant glaze.

IF bad: Time to bust out a detailer grade super fine sand paper and wet sand!

churp
06-24-2007, 01:36 AM
Earlier posts on the forum claim there is no wax on the car when puchased...so the sooner the better. IMO a good wax will solve your problem.

keesue
06-25-2007, 01:42 AM
If you're not experienced using POLISH, you could damage your paint!

I wouldn't recommend that everyone use clay or polish.

For most of us, light wax is just fine... and it's very safe done by hand.

I respectfully disagree. In point of fact, one would have to work extremely hard to damage the paint by hand. The paint is sealed by a clear coat which is extremely durable. It is however, susceptible to damage from environmental polutants and grit. Rubbing the surface with this grit is like sandpaper to the clear coat. Claying and polish are designed to cleanse and correct these clear coat imperfections and they are not sufficient in and of themselves to damage the paint underneath. One would have to clay without lubricant to introduce marring to the clear coat, and polish is just that - polish. Both of these products are designed to correct issues not introduce them. (A Porter Cable is designed to prevent damage to the clear coat by its random action which reduces the heat build up common with rotary polishers which literally melt through the clear coat and damage the paint underneath). But by hand, one would have to work extremely hard over an extended period of time (days upon days) to get through the clear coat with these products to get at the paint. One would simply tire out as Mr. Brickhardmeat suggested.

Having said that, using clay and polish are steps which safely cleanse the clear coat of imperfections for the last step product - a sealant or wax (or both). A product like scratch-x will address sratches and minor imperfections as well. It is a product which is used where a rotary or PC will not go to remove swirls - and it does just that - remove swirls. NXT and other cleaner waxes work well to 'fill' in minor imperfections as noted in the BMW pictures.

Different problems require different approaches but don't rule out the use of clay and polish as one of them. They are part of a good finish regime and work quite well for the inexperienced of us. Just remember to use lubricant or really soapy water, rub softly with the clay and rub really hard with the polish. :thumbup:

keesue
06-25-2007, 01:45 AM
Time to bust out a PC random orbital polisher some good detailer polish, wax soap, MF cloths and bonnets and sheep skin bonnets and some sealant glaze.

IF bad: Time to bust out a detailer grade super fine sand paper and wet sand!

Yep...:clap: or do the same thing by hand if one doesn't have a PC...:thumbsup: Superfine sandpaper is a last resort, followed by scratch-x and or a good polish and finished with sealant. #21 and NXT are killer for this. I've had to do it and it works.

Vanderkitten
06-25-2007, 02:09 AM
And by superfine, it's not 800!! 2000 is more like it! Just so people don't go stripping their paint!

keesue
06-25-2007, 08:59 AM
And by superfine, it's not 800!! 2000 is more like it! Just so people don't go stripping their paint!

Howdy, neighbor. Spent alot of time in Berkeley.

Yep, 2000 it is, and with water (wet sanding), followed by a swirl remover to get rid of the sanding marks. All of this really isn't that hard. It just requires patience and care. Rushing or using the wrong product is the real culprit. Swirls require patience to remove by hand but it is entirely doable.