PDA

View Full Version : BailOut is such a loser!

nebulight
06-22-2007, 10:25 PM
:w00t:

Just Kidding, congrats on the second CleanMPG home page stop!

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/in-the-news/t-going-the-extra-mile-5166.html

:thumbup:

BailOut
06-22-2007, 11:10 PM
lol, nebulight :smile:

Thank you for the congratulations! That is a nicely written hypermiling article.

Kaotic Lazagna
06-23-2007, 12:51 AM
congrats. the most i've gotten was 51 mpg. and that was some time back...

Nutzoids
06-23-2007, 01:14 AM
:clap:
Do you Still have your back Seat?

When I too mine out I got 4.6% increase in Gas Milage...

And I drive like the Yaris is a Corvette!

:evil:

Black Yaris
06-23-2007, 01:51 AM
when I pulled my back seets on a recent expressway trip I pulled 52 mpg... and that was with 35 psi in my 17in tires, at 80 mph, not using any of Bail out's MPG tips, so I wonder if all those tips realy help?
BTW I do run premium fuel, and 0w-20 full synthetic oil and have a CAI, header, and exhaust wich all contribute to a more effecent motor therefor better MPG.

5spBlazer
06-23-2007, 02:11 AM
when I pulled my back seets on a recent expressway trip I pulled 52 mpg... and that was with 35 psi in my 17in tires, at 80 mph, not using any of Bail out's MPG tips, so I wonder if all those tips realy help?
BTW I do run premium fuel, and 0w-20 full synthetic oil and have a CAI, header, and exhaust wich all contribute to a more effecent motor therefor better MPG.

Hehe...If only those mods improved your grammar. :redface:

adamschneider
06-23-2007, 02:35 AM
Direct link to the article: http://www.tahoebonanza.com/article/20070622/News/106220043/-1/NEWS

Pars
06-23-2007, 02:46 AM

wow. I'd expect CAI and 17in tires to have a negative impact on fuel consumption. What's the type/make of your tires and brand of alloys? I wish I could get those kind of results. I've yet to get over 40mpg (US), but hopefully fuel consumption will increase once I switch to synthetic.

Kaotic Lazagna
06-23-2007, 03:42 AM
wow. I'd expect CAI and 17in tires to have a negative impact on fuel consumption. What's the type/make of your tires and brand of alloys? I wish I could get those kind of results. I've yet to get over 40mpg (US), but hopefully fuel consumption will increase once I switch to synthetic.

if you're mostly driving in the city, it's hard to get 40mpg. if you're driving mostly freeways, try to stay at a constant speed throughout the trip. 65 mph gets me 39 mpg average. keep in mind, that's an average of my type of driving. i've gotten 51 mpg by driving 55 mph (98%) freeway.

i don't do jack rabbit starts and i shift (if you have a mt) no later than 2,500 rpm.

nebulight
06-23-2007, 08:47 AM
if you're mostly driving in the city, it's hard to get 40mpg. if you're driving mostly freeways, try to stay at a constant speed throughout the trip. 65 mph gets me 39 mpg average. keep in mind, that's an average of my type of driving. i've gotten 51 mpg by driving 55 mph (98%) freeway.

i don't do jack rabbit starts and i shift (if you have a mt) no later than 2,500 rpm.

Yea, I struggle to get over 40mpg, as all my driving is short (under 5 miles) city driving. And now, I'm actually doing City city driving, tons of stop lights that are not predictable, my milage has suffered. I've had my car for 6 months and I'm still under 4,000 miles. I guess that's good for my actually emissions per year, but I don't think I'm going to hit my goal of 45mpg if all I do is short city driving. I need to take a vacation to somewhere far so I can use a whole tank of gas going somewhere to see what I can do on all highway.

hystria
06-23-2007, 10:12 AM
Well, BailOut gets amazing mileage not necessarily because he's driving a Yaris, but because of his driving technique, and the way he does it can't be always considered as a "normal driving" - such as turning off the engine on downhill or excessively inflating the tires way above the engineering recommendations. With some of the techniques he uses, anyone would achieve better mileage, even with cars like Escalade or Tahoe.

If one drives on highway at 50 mph instead of 65, this will increase up to 15-20% the mileage, however is it 50mph a practical speed in todays life style ?

I would drive my car at 35mpg on highway (slowest speed allowed) and tell you about 70MPG or more, would that be reasonable ?

That said, I agree with many of his driving techniques, that could easily be used by anyone with better mileage as a result, such as shifting limits or avoiding excessive speeds :thumbsup:

BailOut
06-23-2007, 11:29 AM
My 52 MPG tank did indeed represent about 230 miles on the highway, but that's I-80 over Donner Pass (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donner_Pass#Highways), from Reno to Sacramento, a rough-surface traversal of 7,000 vertical feet to/from sea level (not exactly most folk's idea of a highway drive - hehe). However, it also represented 5 of my regular commutes (one commute included hauling over 200 pounds of stuff to work), 3 nights of the wife running errands up a hill, two mornings of local errands, and a trip up to Sparks (northeast side of the Reno valley) to have a barbecue with some friends.

To make a long story short, my daily commute traverses 4,500 vertical feet over the highest Sierra Nevada mountain pass that is maintained year round (Mount Rose - Nevada SR 431). The twisting, winding, road always has sections in poor shape due to the snow plows and runoff, it has several climbing, 20 MPH hairpin turns, the grades often exceed 6%, the winds are almost always high, and the summit is at 8,900 feet.

Stock intake with a K&N panel filter. Stock exhaust. Stock wheels and tires (with higher PSI in the tires). The back seats are still in. Regular gasoline (87 octane) with E10 (State requirement). 5W20 synthetic oil.

I have only spent USD $88 on after market "performance" parts ($22 for the K&N panel filter, $34 for the block heater, $32 for the solar trickle charger).

Black Yaris
06-23-2007, 11:45 AM
the reason I stated my mods is I realy do not care about my MPG I just wanted to see what mine was on my trip to Dexter so that I could post it in one of these threads.... I do not do one thing you suggest and I can achive the same gas mileage, and I have my car geared toward preformance.... now tell me that is not funny

BailOut
06-23-2007, 12:06 PM
Black Yaris, I think you misunderstand the difference between our geographical situations. Come do my commute for a week or two and see if you can still pull 52 MPG. :wink:

eTiMaGo
06-23-2007, 12:11 PM
Indeed, I think Ohio is not exactly well known for its towering mountains :biggrin:

Black Yaris
06-23-2007, 12:17 PM
I understand, I am not saying you specificly in your situation, I am only attacking the theories.... others use them in the same climates and/or geographical situations as I, with similar stock setups as you with out very good results. I am just stating the fact that I can pull the same mileage with preformance mods wich actually just make the motor just more effeciently, the HP is there when I get on it, and the mpg are there if I were to actualy care...

churp
06-23-2007, 12:28 PM
The gated shift of the automatic is ideal for the downhill coasting (I never shut the engine off though). If I drove 50 or under I could probably coast 1/3 of the way to work and back (20 miles each way). But I drive 60-65 and the hills aren't steep enough to maintain speed (unless wind is in right direction), except for one hill each way that's about 1 mile long and brakes are required. Anyway....at 4,000 miles I put 44psi in, lowered the car, and cosistantly coast these 2 hills-----my milage went from 36 avg to 40 avg, and I have 11,000 miles on now. Haven't been below 40 mpg for the last 2,500 miles.

Don't have a scangage so can't really verify...but isn't there a point where if half your miles use 'zero' gas, and if your uphill driving doesn't reduce the milage in half of the flat land milage, can't you gain milage? Don't the hypers have a technique (I wouldn't recomend in daily driving) where they slowly accelerate then coast repeatedly on flat land? This would seem to be in the same category.

Black Yaris
06-23-2007, 12:32 PM
see I was going 80 the whole time

blacksan
06-23-2007, 01:26 PM
I took a round trip to Richmond, VA yesterday with my son and achieved 45.2 MPG without doing anything special. The vast majority of it was highway (I-64) with a 65 MPH speed and AC cranked. The only thing new was a fill-up with a different brand of gas.